Sponsored by:

Another tire question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 10:45 PM
Big Jay E
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Another tire question

I have read post after post about tires, but I have kind of an odd request.
I am getting ready to replace the original run flats on my 03.
My main problem with these tires is the noise. I have a hearing problem, and can't even have a conversation with a pasanger at freeway speed.

I am willing to give up the security of the run flats to make the car quite. I don't want to spend over a grand, loose the run flat security and still have loud tires.

So, which ones are really a lot quieter than the run flats? Are they quieter enough to risk a flat tire on the road?

Appreciate all responses.

Thanks

Jay
Old 08-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Vettman 1
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have the "road noise" hearing problem on our convertible. I recently installed Nitto's (non runflats) on the car. They were around $700 out the door at America's Discount Tires. My wife remarked as we drove out of the parking lot at their quietness! I bought a good plug kit and a 12V compressor. I also hav AAA and a cell phone. I've not had a catastrophic tire failure in 40 years, just a few slow leaks.. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:18 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,814 Likes on 1,926 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Big Jay E
I have read post after post about tires, but I have kind of an odd request.
I am getting ready to replace the original run flats on my 03.
My main problem with these tires is the noise. I have a hearing problem, and can't even have a conversation with a pasanger at freeway speed.

I am willing to give up the security of the run flats to make the car quite. I don't want to spend over a grand, loose the run flat security and still have loud tires.

So, which ones are really a lot quieter than the run flats? Are they quieter enough to risk a flat tire on the road?

Appreciate all responses.

Thanks

Jay
Not by my experience.. you will see many threads about how quiet non runflat have made their car..... it's called the placebo effect... people spend their hard earned money and are honestly fooled into believing their tires are quieter by a whole lot... if your buying tires with the idea that you going to get a much quieter ride.... SAVE YOUR MONEY.... spend it on proper insulation of your car... the right insulation in the right places... the car is noisey... all tires make noise... the fact that the rear tires are 2 feet from your ear and the only insulation between your ears and the tires noise is a 1/8th piece of plastic.. ( the inner wheel well )behind that piece of plastic is a hollow Trumpet horn shaped tunnel between the outer rear quarter panel, and the inner cabin shell... there are two open drains in all C5's in the truck hatch area which empy right into the hollow area which ineffect allow a srtraight shot of tire noise into the cabin.. I sucessfully insulated my car so I ahve zero tire noise below 45 mph, and have reduced the noise above 45 mph even on concrete by 50 %.... after two sets of EMT's... I wanted to further reduce that upper tire noise by 10 to 20 % so I bought Pilots sports.. which did nothing to further reduce my interior noise.. although because my car is well insulated, it is very tolerable... compared to a non insulated car...
Old 08-23-2004, 10:42 AM
roknrod5556
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Kumho ASX tires. the price was $550 delivered for the set of four, and I have been happy with them, they show NO signs of wear after 6k miles so far, and they have been much more quiet then the good year rf's , high speed is very smooth, and they seem to have the same traction, I drive a lot of long trips, but I do no racing. i did get a small 12 volt air compresser and a tire patch kit. I have had no flat tires for many years. but ya never know?? but for another 600 dollars, I will take the chance with non-runflats.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:29 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,727 Likes on 14,220 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I agree about the noise. I went from the Goodyear EMT's to Goodyear Supercar F1's and the difference is very noticable. I also have a set of the Firestone Firehawks and they are much quieter and still retain the runflat capability.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I picked up a set of Kumho MX's which will get installed tomorrow. I'll let you know.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:50 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have the BFG G-Force KDW's in stock sizes. They are very quiet. On the highway (especially if it's the rubberized surface that ADOT is converting all the freeways to - SLOWLY!) there is no noise at all. I have a convertible, and with the top down at 75mph, my wife and I can converse and listen to the stereo without blasting the volume or screaming at each other. Top up is VERY quiet.

Oh, BTW - the KDW's are not runflats, and I did as many others here have done - got myself a tire repair kit and a small 12v compressor.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:12 PM
TIKTGTR
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid 540 bucks for the Falken 451's and couldn't be happier with their performance. Great tire and aggressive tread pattern too! Save your money for other mods.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:41 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,427 Likes on 765 Posts

Any new tire is going to be quieter than the old hard ones you're replacing. As a tire ages, it's been my experience that they get noisier and noisier.

A rear compartment partition will make a great improvement. Adding sound insulation with help a bunch, as well.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Another tire question

Quick Reply: Another tire question