Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This Annoying Quote Will Piss You Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 07:37 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I think the Vette wave pre-dates the Jeep wave.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:59 AM
chocoholic
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is it with so many of us Corvette owners that fuels this need to want to believe that other people are envious of us? I don't see any envy in his article. In fact, I think he's probably making a valid point.

Look, waving is not a Corvette-only thing. Until I owned a Corvette, I'd never met a group of people that were so deluded in thinking that they "owned" the wave. This isn't meant to be inflammatory but true car fanatics know that many groups of owners wave to each other. Jeep owners are one; MGs and Triumphs are another. Where I grew up, sports cars in general waved to other sports cars and I still acknowledge all nice rides. So, yes, that means giving the nod to Vipers, Porsches and Ferraris. Why not?

It simply isn't necessary for us to denigrate other groups of people because they wave. Be thankful that they appreciate a common shared interest enough to acknowledge each other and they don't need a how-to in their owner's manual in order to do so.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:54 AM
JnJ
Racer

Originally Posted by chocoholic
What is it with so many of us Corvette owners that fuels this need to want to believe that other people are envious of us? I don't see any envy in his article. In fact, I think he's probably making a valid point.

Look, waving is not a Corvette-only thing. Until I owned a Corvette, I'd never met a group of people that were so deluded in thinking that they "owned" the wave. This isn't meant to be inflammatory but true car fanatics know that many groups of owners wave to each other. Jeep owners are one; MGs and Triumphs are another. Where I grew up, sports cars in general waved to other sports cars and I still acknowledge all nice rides. So, yes, that means giving the nod to Vipers, Porsches and Ferraris. Why not?

It simply isn't necessary for us to denigrate other groups of people because they wave. Be thankful that they appreciate a common shared interest enough to acknowledge each other and they don't need a how-to in their owner's manual in order to do so.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:03 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
One word - idiot! I hope his mama is proud?

Tom
Old 08-25-2004, 09:42 AM
spiral04vette
Instructor

Location: Los Angeles I'm here for a good time, not a long time!

Originally Posted by Zilla
Is this the jeep drive you are talking about

Old 08-25-2004, 09:48 AM
14U2ENV
Melting Slicks

Location: Lino Lakes, MN _________________________ I Figured out how to do this!
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by ArmyVette

They're trying to wave down help!!

Old 08-25-2004, 10:17 AM
Vette-Dream
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

/sigh

Waves are given, not recieved... pass it on.

:wave:
Old 08-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Debb's 2004
Cruising

I currently drive a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and also had a 98 jeep grand cherokee, I never received a wave??? I never heard of such a thing. I have however received waves in my Vette. This guy is
Old 08-25-2004, 10:36 AM
ACELR8N
Pro

Originally Posted by Zilla
Is this the jeep drive you are talking about

Zilla, where do you get this stuff, It's great! This guy's comments are rooted in ignorance. If he had done even miniscule research he would have discovered the Vette folks invented the wave... geez! Consider the source. Not only do I wave to Vettes, I receive more waves and thumbs up from people of all car persuasions, that it serves as a constant reminder that Vettes are like puppies... everyone loves them. Accept maybe for W.C. Fields, and he's long gone.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:42 AM
_Redline_
Racer

Originally Posted by Debb's 2004
I currently drive a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and also had a 98 jeep grand cherokee, I never received a wave??? I never heard of such a thing. I have however received waves in my Vette. This guy is
I have a 2003 Jeep Renegade, and NO ONE has ever waved. Well, I have received the one finger salute before.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:42 AM
JeepTJ
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I get more wave backs in the Vette.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:12 AM
C5 Dawg
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Jughead
I think the Vette wave pre-dates the Jeep wave.
Interesting thought since the Jeep predates the 'Vette by over a dozen years. By the way, the Jeep wave tends to be between modified or older Jeeps. The soccer moms in the Libertys and Grands don't even know they are in a Jeep.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:56 AM
C5 Dawg
Pro

That's probably because Jeep owners are more likely to stop and give help. Besides, based on all the threads of Vette problems and recalls, I'm not sure that we have a lot to be proud of either.

At least it was a good attempt at almost humor.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:57 AM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

Originally Posted by C5 Dawg
Interesting thought since the Jeep predates the 'Vette by over a dozen years. By the way, the Jeep wave tends to be between modified or older Jeeps. The soccer moms in the Libertys and Grands don't even know they are in a Jeep.

Just like there is a large group of Vette owners who aren't enthusiasts like us. They could care less about their car, much less wave.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:20 PM
athiker
Instructor

Actually as both a Jeep and Corvette owner he is not far off. You have to understand though the Jeep wave is between people with the Wrangle body style. Usually people in Grand Cherokees and Liberties, don't even realize they're in a Jeep, but people in Wranglers are usually Jeep enthusiasts. I almost always get a return wave when I'm in my Rubicon and wave to another Wrangle type, where as in my C5 I usually just get strange looks. Plus after owning Jeeps for almost 20 years I can tell you they have been a lot more dependable than any GM I've ever owned. (One Jimmy I owned was in the shop 32 times in one year) I have yet to have a problem with steering column lock up on any my Jeeps. (That's a joke, for the humor impaired)
Old 08-25-2004, 12:38 PM
retrovette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by C5 Dawg
Hey guys, lighten up a little. Be happy that there are others out there who also love their cars. The repair record of older Jeeps probably isn't a lot worse then that of similar vintage Vettes, especially considering the beating they take when going off road.

I love my modified Cherokee AND my Vette. If you want to see how much fun you can have at 2mph, go on a Jeep Jamboree. You'll be amazed. Until then, you can enjoy your ride just as much without sinking to the level of the idiot quoted in the article.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:40 PM
dkdonkim
Burning Brakes

true....

i have never yet seen jeep owners wave each other....

Get notified of new replies

To This Annoying Quote Will Piss You Off

Old 08-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

Originally Posted by Debb's 2004
I've had two Jeeps, current string is eight years...only have gotten one wave from another Jeep owner. When that occured, I asked my wife "what the hell is his problem"?
Old 08-25-2004, 01:43 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggieBoy
I've owned 2 Jeeps since 1993. That's 11 years of Jeep ownership. I've never rec'd a wave nor have I issued one to another Jeep. What the hell is this guy talking about????

I agree. I've had two since 1996 and never given or gotten one in my Grand Cherokee. I did get a few in my son's Wrangler though.

Guess Jeepers can be snobs too, huh?
Old 08-25-2004, 02:20 PM
C5 Dawg
Pro

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
I agree. I've had two since 1996 and never given or gotten one in my Grand Cherokee. I did get a few in my son's Wrangler though.

Guess Jeepers can be snobs too, huh?
Speaking of snobs, do you wave to ALL Chevrolets, or just Corvettes. Jeeps wavers are generally the same way: they'll wave to other Jeep enthusiasts, and most of them are not driving stock Grands.

Quick Reply: This Annoying Quote Will Piss You Off