Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware of mileage fraud. Have any of you seen this before?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 10:16 PM
Capt.RobC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't looking at the car to buy! We were just comparing cars and he let me in on it. It was not dealer installed. He said it took him 20 minutes to put in. He snipped one wire. Which one, I don't know. And the put in a toggle switch in line. What a F'ing scam Again it looks just like a valet switch for an alarm.
P.S. This is a daily driver.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:04 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

He snipped one wire. Which one, I don't know. And the put in a toggle switch in line.
Just a wild guess, but I'd bet it was the one which registered the car's actual mileage
Old 09-07-2004, 12:31 AM
RVose 98 C5
Instructor

If I'm not mistaken, mileage is recorded in both the ECM and the IPC (instrument panel cluster). In looking at articles on retrofitting HUD into '97 and '98 cars, you have to buy a '99 or newer cluster, and in most of the ads the mileage in the cluster is usually stated. What's odd to me is that none of the C5 systems appear to notice if the signal to the IPC wasn't making it there and that a code isn't set.

Anyone with a shop manual out there who can look this up?
Old 09-07-2004, 07:16 AM
98vert6spd
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I a interested in knowing more aboutthis as it seems the milage on my car is sort of in question
carfacts said i had 50 somethign and my odometer reads 30 somethign
the dealer said theyd take care of it
..sure

to my understandign the car wil not start if the odometer is not hooekd up therefore you have to set up a switch so that after starting the car you cut power to the odometer
Ie heard of people simply takign the fuse out of the block after starting it and otrhers install a false fuse on a toggle wire
this whole topic pisses me off cause i am thinking i may have been scammed by this for around 20k miles

another thought it just unhooking the odometer connection
on my cavalier i replaced a cv shaft and screwed up the speedo reader and my speedometer woulding work and the milage wouldnt record took me a while to figure that one out
btw if you are wondering its a 750 dollar special (the cavalier) and i did fix the speedo so dont flip out on me
Old 09-07-2004, 09:22 AM
CAJUNY2KC5
Le Mans Master

Messing with odometers to show a reduced mileage has been going on since they were installed in cars. But I have to say, installing a visible switch to defeat the odometer is rather blatant (and stupid) FRAUD.

I wouldn't touch that car or consider buying it. What else has the owner tricked up or is hiding besides miles?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:02 AM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

the ecm will tell the truth, but as for him going to jail... He owns the car and i believe he can do whatever he wants to it - but if he decides to Sell it - then he is screwed..

This is basically the same as buying a new cluster and putting it in without getting the mileage updated...

My boss had a jeep grand cherokee and the odomoter broke around 50k miles or something - the dealer replaced it and they did not update it, he took it back in for service around 30k later and they covered it under the 36k mile warranty because the odometor only read 30k... I believe the ecm did read the 80k but they never checked.

Who is wrong in this case?? The dealer installed it???

Anyway - if anyone is skeptical about a very low mileage car, have it checked by a mechanic or a dealer, it is that simple, if it is fradulant then the other person get's prosecuted.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Rodster21
Burning Brakes

Wow, that's scary info, I'm looking at low mileage cars now and this is just another reason i'll have it check out by a mechanic.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:34 PM
johnlovescar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rodster21
Wow, that's scary info, I'm looking at low mileage cars now and this is just another reason i'll have it check out by a mechanic.
If you want to know the actual mile on the car. Buy it NEW. This way, you do not need to worry. Now, instead of paying it off in 3 years. It may take you 5 years. This is just $.02.

Best of luck to you
Old 09-07-2004, 11:43 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the law says the seller forfeits the car and you can get it for free, see if he will sell you the car. Heck pay him top dollar for it, you will get your money back and be able to keep the car!! For free it could have 100k miles on it and it wouldn't bother me!!....

Disclaimer: vetterlatethannever is not responsible for any outcomes involving buying cars with false odometer readings. This is a dream. Do not attempt....

Last edited by vetterlatethannever; 09-08-2004 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:52 PM
johnlovescar
Instructor

Originally Posted by vetterlatethannever
If the law says the seller forfeits the car and you can get it for free, see if he will sell you the car. Heck pay him top dollar for it, you will get your money back and be able to keep the car!! For free it could have 100k miles on it and it wouldn't bother me!!....

I don't think this is true (seller forfeits the car for fault miles ). The only thing that you can do is take him to court, and fight for your money back. The judge may have him pay a fine to the state (maybe... depend on the judge). The most you would get back is, no more than what you pay. That is your damage.

I am not a lawyer. However, I am around them everyday.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:11 AM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it is true either johnlovescar, just going off Evil-Twin's post on page one and trying to put some humor in it. This is a serious situation (with all cars) and unfortunately probably happens more than we know about.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Mrhavasu
Advanced

I do not think this is as easy to do as it sounds on the newer cars. I used to install alarms and did play around with this very thing and always would have something go wrong, example, power windows not work or check airbag light come on. Its sad this goes on, but it does. I sell auto insurance and see it all to often, and it mostly comes from the car dealers. I was going to buy mine used, glad now I bought new. I just looked at to many that seemed to good to be true.
Terry
Old 09-08-2004, 02:09 AM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrhavasu
I do not think this is as easy to do as it sounds on the newer cars. I used to install alarms and did play around with this very thing and always would have something go wrong, example, power windows not work or check airbag light come on. Its sad this goes on, but it does. I sell auto insurance and see it all to often, and it mostly comes from the car dealers. I was going to buy mine used, glad now I bought new. I just looked at to many that seemed to good to be true.
Terry
This is most prevalent by used car dealers, as the equipment to do it is quite expensive (2k). Everyone should know that it is easy to do. I say everyone should know this so that they are aware enough to spot discrepancies when purchasing. If the mileage shows 10k and there is major wear to carpets/leather, BE SKEPTICAL!
Old 09-08-2004, 03:53 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Yous guys think the above is bad?????

I used to know ppl that turn SALVAGE CAR TITLES into CLEAN ONCE

This is AMERICA AFTER ALL

The LAND OF THE FREE

U DO THE SAME IN RUSSIA and u might Get an AK stuck in ur BUTT
Old 09-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Rodster21
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by johnlovescar
If you want to know the actual mile on the car. Buy it NEW. This way, you do not need to worry. Now, instead of paying it off in 3 years. It may take you 5 years. This is just $.02.

Best of luck to you
A new vert is not in my budget at this time. I'm more in $30,000 range and this is just going to be a weekend car. This way I can still get my fishing boat too. I'd rather have the two toys instead of having to choose between one or the other.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:32 AM
Joe’s Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by johnlovescar

Best of luck to you
Old 09-08-2004, 09:37 AM
Vette-Dream
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, call me naive (spell checking is for sissies)... but I swear I had never thought of this when I purchased my car. And the criminal in me is really quite pissed that I read this thread, since from now till the day I die I'll always have the temptation to actualy put in this darn bypass on other vehicles that I might purchase

/walks away shaking his head sadly

Get notified of new replies

To Beware of mileage fraud. Have any of you seen this before?

Old 09-08-2004, 09:48 AM
bsmith
Team Owner

Received 62 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

a couple years ago when I was on a Camaro forum some tool came and posted asking how he could do that exact thing to his Camaro.

Lets just say that the replies werent to helpful to him
Old 09-08-2004, 03:22 PM
johnlovescar
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrightRed C5 SWFL

So, you are saying that you are STUPID. I though so.

Old 09-08-2004, 10:27 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Rodster21
A new vert is not in my budget at this time. I'm more in $30,000 range and this is just going to be a weekend car. This way I can still get my fishing boat too. I'd rather have the two toys instead of having to choose between one or the other.
If you look over a car closely, you can see signs of wear that wouldn't be there on a low mileage car. Look at the brake pedal, the brake pads, how many rock chips, check underneath for wear and tear, tread wear, carpet, seat leather, shifter ****, key fob etc. With a little diligence, you can ascertain if the low miles are for real. If the odometer states 13,000 miles and its really 16,000, yes that sucks but probably not a real big deal in the big picture. But covering up 20k or 30k miles is difficult IMO.

If I'm buying used, I prefer one-owner cars from the original owner, your 1st impression of the owner can tell you a lot about the car IMO.

Quick Reply: Beware of mileage fraud. Have any of you seen this before?