C5 LS1, manual or Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 09:52 AM
TheStef
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 LS1, manual or Automatic?

Hi guys,

I own an 88 Convertible/L98 engine, automatic with a higher stall converter and a few other mods.
I'm putting my car up for sale next spring/summer and I'll probably end up buying a C5 in about 2 years... if I have enough patience to wait that long
I'm looking to buy a used C5 coupe LS1, coupe... but I seem to find more automatics then manuals for sale in my area. I'd really like to get a manual, but I'm looking for differences and opinions between the manual and automatic to help me make up my mind. I know the differences between the C4 automatic and manual but know nothing about the C5's.

Old 09-30-2004, 10:08 AM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'11

If everything is stock, the manual will outperform the auto. once you change rear end ratios, stall speeds, etc... all bets are off.

there are a couple of problems with 6 speeds that have popped up:
some have trouble with tranny jumping out of gear in 1st or reverse, or a tough time getting it in reverse
others have experienced a problem where the car can be shifted into reverse while moving forward. this should be prevented by a lock-out solenoid. in the C5, the reverse is next to 5th.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:17 AM
phear_this_mind
Instructor

Why spend money on an auto when you're just going to have to turn around and spend more money on gears (EXPENSIVE!!!!!) and a stall?

Buy the 6 speed and drive it like a sports car.

Take the $2500.00 (it will cost a little more for install) you would have spent on the gears/stall/install and put heads/cam on the car.

Then you have a 450 Horsepower sports-car of death.

= )
Old 09-30-2004, 10:46 AM
TheStef
Burning Brakes

Is the rear end the same on both cars? and I don't mean gears, I mean the actualy carier?

On C4, manual have the Dana 44 and automatics the Dana 36 ?? what about the C5? and might as well ask, what gears comes stock with the automatic and the manual?
Old 09-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by TheStef
Is the rear end the same on both cars? and I don't mean gears, I mean the actualy carier?

On C4, manual have the Dana 44 and automatics the Dana 36 ?? what about the C5? and might as well ask, what gears comes stock with the automatic and the manual?
No.....the A4 is stock with 2.73 gears (different carrier) and has an option of 3.15's. (I believe the 3.15's can be upgraded internally)

M6 is stock 3.42 and that carrier can be upgraded with 3.73, 3.90, etc gears................
Old 09-30-2004, 11:16 AM
gsxrjack
Burning Brakes

Hi guys,

I own an 88 Convertible/L98 engine, automatic with a higher stall converter and a few other mods.
I'm putting my car up for sale next spring/summer and I'll probably end up buying a C5 in about 2 years... if I have enough patience to wait that long
I'm looking to buy a used C5 coupe LS1, coupe... but I seem to find more automatics then manuals for sale in my area. I'd really like to get a manual, but I'm looking for differences and opinions between the manual and automatic to help me make up my mind. I know the differences between the C4 automatic and manual but know nothing about the C5's.

i have done the same as you, gone from a C4 auto....i bought a C5 6speed and i do love it.....hmmm, hard to put in words here, i had no problems with the C4 auto,(though some people do it seems) it was nice to just press the gas pedal and go.....but i am liking my 6 speed a lot.......would i be disapointed if my C5 was an auto.....NO, am i glad i got the 6 speed YES...

so now that i have totally confused you and anyone else reading this, i think im trying to say is that as much as i like my 6 speed i dont think it would have been a "step down" if my C5 was an auto....

i know this isnt helping but good luck
Old 09-30-2004, 08:26 PM
ANTIVINUM
Racer

I also traded a C4 auto for a C5 6 speed. It all depends on what you plan to do with the car. If you drive it a lot and you are in traffic a lot, the auto is the way to go. If you just enjoy driving a sports car for what it is and enjoy those quick burst of acceleration and going throw the gears than the answer is easy. Two things that are a must for any 6-speed owner. An after market shifter (stock ones do not have stops) and the damn CAGS. Either way I think you will enjoy your new car. I went from a convertible to a coupe and I wish I still had a convertible. That is some thing you might want to consider.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:13 PM
jeff1surfs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Whatsa CAGS?

Two things that are a must for any 6-speed owner. An after market shifter (stock ones do not have stops) and the damn CAGS.

New 99 mn6 hardtop owner, when you say "stock ones do not have stops" what are you referring to?
and how will it improve my car?
I' have not had any problems with my 6-speed.
What are CAGS?

I am getting annoyed with the 1to 4shift though.

Love this car
Old 09-30-2004, 11:42 PM
ANTIVINUM
Racer

CAGS is a bypass for the 1 to 4 ****. it is about 25 dollars or so and you can find it at any vendor on the web. The stock shifters do not have stops. Stops stop the shifter from over traveling. By that I mean when you shift the linkage places the trans in the next gear. But the stock shifter does not have a stopping point (Over traveling tears up a trans). After market shifter have adjustable stops. The Hurst (like mine) even has adjustable return springs.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:44 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes, they both have the same Gertrag differential. The only hitch is 2 series gears (2.73) generally can't be upgraded to 3 or 4 series gears, although DTE has a process to do it. Those that upgrade from 2.73s generally swap diffs. The Z06 does have shot-peened gears.

Last edited by fdxpilot; 09-30-2004 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:53 PM
IMQUIK
Le Mans Master

Love my A4!!
Old 10-01-2004, 08:12 AM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Love my A4 also and don't see many differences at the track as far as time either. But I also have the factory 3.15s
Old 10-01-2004, 08:55 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Hi guys,

If you ever decide that you would like to get into high performance driving on a roadcourse an A4 would be a mistake. They overheat and are tough to control which gear you are in. Too me one of the things that are so attaractive about a sportscar is that it give they give the driver more control and better feedback, an A4 takes away from that.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:08 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ANTIVINUM
. The stock shifters do not have stops. Stops stop the shifter from over traveling. By that I mean when you shift the linkage places the trans in the next gear. But the stock shifter does not have a stopping point (Over traveling tears up a trans). After market shifter have adjustable stops. The Hurst (like mine) even has adjustable return springs.
I am, almost, positive that the T56 transmission has internal stops.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:51 AM
barkingowl
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by IMQUIK
Love my A4!!
Old 10-01-2004, 10:18 AM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 205 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I always love these threads!!

I love my automatic transmission.....that I have in my '04 Silverado! Oh yea, the wife's minivan has one as well!!

My Corvettes have always been manual and will ALWAYS be that way!

[flamesuit ON]
Old 10-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Originally Posted by QikStik
I always love these threads!!

I love my automatic transmission.....that I have in my '04 Silverado! Oh yea, the wife's minivan has one as well!!

My Corvettes have always been manual and will ALWAYS be that way!

[flamesuit ON]
We had a guy in the club that listed the Corvettes going on a road trip together. He listed the 6 speeds as Corvettes and the A4s as Corpettes!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 LS1, manual or Automatic?

Old 10-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

You mentioned that you want the 6-speed so that should be your main focus. Between now and when you are ready to purchase the car, go out and test drive examples of each. Give them some thorough examinations, like city driving, highway time, etc and see how comfortable you are with each type of transmission. Both are very good, so it is really just a personal preference. The 6-speed will have better gearing and get better mileage all things considered.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:38 AM
RJ98Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
You mentioned that you want the 6-speed so that should be your main focus. Between now and when you are ready to purchase the car, go out and test drive examples of each. Give them some thorough examinations, like city driving, highway time, etc and see how comfortable you are with each type of transmission. Both are very good, so it is really just a personal preference. The 6-speed will have better gearing and get better mileage all things considered.
Best suggestion I have heard. I have an A4 as a daily driver and hit a lot of stop and go traffic. I have been seriously considering renting a MN6 just to see what the differences would be. I think the differences in transmissions would be similar to differences in exhausts. What you like will depend in a large measure on your personal preferences.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:11 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Yeap , a test drive or even renting a 6spd and then automatic would be a great idea,, if you have this much time before you buy. I love my 6speed,, obviously it sucks in stop and go traffic but everything else is great.
I guess it all depends on how you are going to use your car,,Automatics are okay too,,nothing wrong with them,,easier to launch off the line if you racing.

For me I like being able to have the options though of changing gears, also you don't have to re-program the shift points if you change rear-ends with a manual..with an auto you'll have to re-program.

All MN6's come stock with a 342 gear.
good luck

Quick Reply: C5 LS1, manual or Automatic?