Sponsored by:

[Z06] Clutch pedal sticking - please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 12:26 PM
mikeo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal sticking - please help

I have read a few posts about clutch pedals being stuck to the floor after hard acceleration. Happened to me for the first time last night. Was I just riding the clutch too much or do I need to have something replaced? If the latter, does anyone know whether this is covered by a service bulliten? Many thanks (because this kinda freaked me out).

BTW, if it matters, I have an 04. Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:27 PM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

MikeO.
I have seen it on my 01, but only at the track when I am launching hard at too high an rpm. It seems like 3500 and a fast, not dump is the way to go, and 4000k on a track that is prepped well. Don't know about a TSP, but I thought there was a fix on the older cars: 04 Z parts. My car is out of warrenty so I am thinking bigger stiffer clutch and 04 Z parts but if your car is doing it now????? I will follow your post and hopefully someone will chime in.
Dave
PS discovery channel has a C6 special on, so much for washing, waxing and then the track next hour!
Old 10-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

MIne did for the first time last week and I got caught in the heavy stop and go traffic during the last hurricane. I am relatively certain it was caused by the clutch getting too hot.

I would like to see a copy of the TSB on this and take it to the dealership when my car goes in for warranty work again.

All I could find was this:

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN: MFG Bulletin Number: 051602

MFG Bulletin Date: 20020516

Component: POWER TRAIN:CLUTCH ASSEMBLY

Details: COMPLAINTS OF THE CLUTCH PEDAL NOT RETURNING WHEN DEPRESSED. *TT

MCS Check Date: 20030805

Last edited by Z06ufgrad2002; 10-03-2004 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:15 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

i would like to know as well
Old 10-03-2004, 04:37 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Here is the "fix" for the sticking clutch pedal.. it's spelled EXEDY!
Old 10-03-2004, 05:41 PM
blown06
Cruising

I've had the same problem since I installed my magnusson supercharger that I purchased from Lingenfelters'. It used to do it very often due to the pressure plate. So I gave Daniel a call at Spec Clutches and he sent me a Stage 3 clutch with an aluminum flywheel. Since that day it hasn't hapenned once. Great service and pricing from Spec.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:56 PM
mikeo
Burning Brakes

Can you please explain "EXEDY"? Thanks.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeo
Can you please explain "EXEDY"? Thanks.
I think he was yanking your chain.
He is suggesting replacing the stock clutch with the aftermarket Eexedy clutch. And as much as I may agree with him that the Exendy is a fine clutch. I don't feel that we as consumers should have to pay to replace a clutch that is failing due to poor design or quality control on GM's part. If GM is willing to pay for the labor costs; I would be willing to pay any additional amount above the OE clutch to get the Exedy put in. But, I don't think the General is going to go for this.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06ufgrad2002
I think he was yanking your chain.
He is suggesting replacing the stock clutch with the aftermarket Eexedy clutch. And as much as I may agree with him that the Exendy is a fine clutch. I don't feel that we as consumers should have to pay to replace a clutch that is failing due to poor design or quality control on GM's part. If GM is willing to pay for the labor costs; I would be willing to pay any additional amount above the OE clutch to get the Exedy put in. But, I don't think the General is going to go for this.

I couldn't agree with you more. I had posted this in another thread a few weeks ago, but I guess I'll say it again. I found out less than 2 months after I had my Z just how weak this clutch is. I just decided one day to do a stand-still punch and phew..clutch burn. And believe me, I am not a crazy driver, so my clutch had been babied up to this point.

I guess what I'm saying is that the weak link in our Z's is this clutch. Some people have had some longevity with their clutch in their Z's, while others (like myself) have decided to take matters in to their own hands (and pockets) and solve the problem. It is a shame that GM "cheaped out" and didn't put a clutch in worthy of this 405 bhp engine...but so be it.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:02 PM
SilverStateZ06
Racer

Cartek is your answer, so long as you don't mind a high performance clutch package.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:18 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverStateZ06
Cartek is your answer, so long as you don't mind a high performance clutch package.

cost???
Old 10-04-2004, 02:03 PM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Seems like changing the fluid very often helps too. I change mine almost every time before I go to the track and it helps. Damn, I was hoping LTs would be next but it seems like a cluthc is next. Thanks!
Dave
Old 10-04-2004, 10:34 PM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

I have read a few posts about clutch pedals being stuck to the floor after hard acceleration. Happened to me for the first time last night. Was I just riding the clutch too much or do I need to have something replaced? If the latter, does anyone know whether this is covered by a service bulliten? Many thanks (because this kinda freaked me out).

Hi mikeo -

I just took m y 02 to my dealer to have the same problem addressed - I gave the service manager the print of the tsb that someone here provided me a few weeks ago - and he kept the car for the day.

They ordered a new slave cylinder and master cylinder for the clutch - he called me today to say that it was in and he could get the car done anytime.

I will let you know if this fixes the problem.

I only notice this when I rev it to redline and shift - and I notice no slippage at all at any time.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 10-26-2004, 03:40 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

where can i find a copy of that TSB? My dealer needs one too

dave
Old 10-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TT_Vert

dave
Your dealer needs a copy of a GM TSB???
Old 10-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 212 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruncher
Your dealer needs a copy of a GM TSB???

Old 10-26-2004, 10:44 PM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Originally Posted by TT_Vert

dave
Hi TT_Vert -

Just call your service manager and tell him about the problem you are having. Tell him that your clutch pedal does not return under hard, high RPM shifting.

Here is the info repeated from above in this thread.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN: MFG Bulletin Number: 051602

MFG Bulletin Date: 20020516

Component: POWER TRAIN:CLUTCH ASSEMBLY

Details: COMPLAINTS OF THE CLUTCH PEDAL NOT RETURNING WHEN DEPRESSED. *TT

MCS Check Date: 20030805
The service manager at my dealer did not find this TSB number, but he did find something to this effect on the dealers computer.

They replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders, which involved removing the torque tube and transaxle etc. Not for the weak of heart, but you do get to inpect the components pretty closely. What I thought was a leaking seal on the differential was actually just oil blown out of the breather on the top of the unit.

BTW - You could have a heavy clutch installed at this point for little additional $ if you have a good service manager...

The work was done under warranty, at no charge, on my 34k mile 2002 Z06.

I have not had any more "clutch pedal on the floor syndrome" since this was addressed on my Z.

That said, the problem did not manifest itself until I had 20k miles on the car or so. I am suspicious that I may run into this again at 60K miles, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

best regards -

mqqn

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch pedal sticking - please help

Old 10-27-2004, 02:27 AM
johnC5
Burning Brakes

The stock parts should work fine on a stock Z06 (re: EXEDY, Spec, etc., which are good for higher HP cars). Clutch slave vibration is stated to cause aerated clutch fluid, resulting in a stuck clutch.

Here is a link to the VME (not TSB):

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=TSB+clutch

See C5-TECH's post.

Make sure the new clutch assembly is properly balanced. See also: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=934650

I spoke with a Z06 owner who had the sticking clutch problem fixed: his clutch pedal vibration was also fixed after the repair.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:59 PM
hotrod323
Instructor

Default clutch pedal sticking

I road race my Z and had the same problem. The dealer was no help,in fact they voided my warranty because of the harness bar in my car. I changed the fluid in the master cylinder to ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid ( many of the Porsche road racers also use it) and drilled several holes in the lower half of the bellhousing to vent the hot air out of the clutch area (the two small vents on the bellhousing are not enough). Since I did this the problem has disappeared. I believe the design of the clutch which incorporates the slave cylinder inside of the bellhousing causes the clutch fluid to overheat when used hard, which leads to the slave cylinder sticking.

Last edited by hotrod323; 10-31-2004 at 12:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-01-2004, 12:56 PM
Z06JAX
Advanced

Default Clutch Sticks

I went through this on my 01 Z06. The GM warranty solution was to replace the master cyl, slave cyl, flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disk. GM sent the dealer a "kit" containing those parts. No problems since the change.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch pedal sticking - please help