Fuel Guage problem - FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Interesting thread!!! I haven't had the problem yet. But will keep this all in mind if it does. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:02 AM
OneBadGix
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zilla
Techron will not solve all the fuel gauge problems. I have been using strictly chevron 94 and adding bottles of techron every few fill-ups for over a year and I still have a fuel gauge problem which GM cannot fix yet.

I rarely get the "Check Gauges" light anymore. But I still have an erratic fuel gauge. It really sucks that something as simple as reading the gas level, which has been done for decades now, does not function on a $50k car built in 2004. This isn't new technology. And for everyone that says it's because of bad gas, I think that's ! I take my bike and SUV to the same gas stations and never had an issue in them. In fact, in the 17 years that I have owned cars, I have never had this issue. Not once. I have never run out of gas in my life until I got this Corvette. Are you telling me that bad gas didn't exist in the mid 80's or 90's?
Old 10-12-2004, 10:03 AM
speedy-vet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Techron will not solve all the fuel gauge problems. I have been using strictly chevron 94 and adding bottles of techron every few fill-ups for over a year and I still have a fuel gauge problem which GM cannot fix yet.
Sure Mr. Zilla, you may be right that GM cannot fix it but surely you wouldn't use "this problem" as an excuse to get rid of your car right? I see several replies here where they deal with it and some seem to have it resolved!

I keep knocking on wood as my baby is in good health, so far so good!
Old 10-12-2004, 11:49 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Techron is an excellent "fix" for the problem if caught in time. Amsoil makes a cleaner which also works well.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:06 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a tangent...Since TECHRON cleans injectors and cylinder walls and gas gauges. Will it function as a top-end cleaner like sea foam?
Old 10-12-2004, 01:06 PM
CaptKirk
Racer

The right sending unit on my 2000 was replaced at 7,000 miles. Now with 22,000 miles, when the tank goes below half full, once in awhile the gas gauge will go to zero and the "check gauges" warning will be displayed. I've only used Chevron in the car. I hate to take the car in again to fix another problem that GM just can't seem to get right. (To bad there isn't an after market product like the CLB for the gas gauge!)

Drive on!
Old 10-12-2004, 01:22 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner is also good. You can use the entire bottle or add a little to your tank at every fillup.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by speedy-vet
Sure Mr. Zilla, you may be right that GM cannot fix it but surely you wouldn't use "this problem" as an excuse to get rid of your car right? I see several replies here where they deal with it and some seem to have it resolved!

I keep knocking on wood as my baby is in good health, so far so good!
Speedy-vet

No where did I say that I would get rid of my car because of the fuel gauge problem, unless I am going to a C6 and I have been dealing with it for well over 6 months. GM is scratching their heads over this one. I had to wait almost two months for the parts to arrive to the dealer from GM. All I am saying is that techron will not solve all the fuel gauge problems like I said in my earlier posts. Ever since GM replaced my sending units and sensors I have only used Chevron 92 or 94 octane and I still get the gas gauge dropping to E. Back in Sept. I drove the vette Vancouver BC to Portland for work, the gas gauge dropped to E about 5 times with a code of P1431 showing up.

All I want to do is warn people just because you add techron it doesn't mean your problems are solved. Sooner or later we are going to here a story where someone was stranded in the middle of nowhere with no gas.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Mark S.
Safety Car

My only cure was to switch from Amoco (Now BP) to Shell/Texaco and never let my gauge read and get below half a tank...so far in the past year no fuel gauge problems...but who knows?
Old 10-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Not sure I would blame it on Shell either.
Shell seems to be at the center of this problem especially here in Canada

here is an article with regards to Shell and just to let you know that Shell closed 500 station in the SouthEast on the May long weekend for bad gas which contained high sulfur.

SHELL CANADA TO SETTLE SUIT OVER GASOLINE ADDITIVE (01/08/04)
Shell Canada Ltd. will settle a class-action lawsuit filed by motorists whose vehicles were hit with fuel pump and gauge problems related to an additive in its gasoline. Shell Canada said it will compensate drivers in three classes of claims related to the problems, which occurred between March 2001 and April 2002. It has since changed fuel ingredients.

A spokeswoman declined to say what the company's total potential liability might be. "We need to wait until the settlement process is complete. That is a 90-day claim period following ads that will appear in national papers," Shell Canada's Simone Marler says. The settlement applies to customers across Canada, although not in Quebec. Notices will be published in late January.
just this week a judge okay the Class action against Shell for Quebec.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Mark S.
Safety Car

I guess it's because we send that "second-hand" Shell gas to Canada...
Old 10-13-2004, 11:12 AM
speedy-vet
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Speedy-vet

No where did I say that I would get rid of my car because of the fuel gauge problem, unless I am going to a C6 and I have been dealing with it for well over 6 months. GM is scratching their heads over this one.

All I want to do is warn people just because you add techron it doesn't mean your problems are solved. Sooner or later we are going to here a story where someone was stranded in the middle of nowhere with no gas.
Sorry Mr. Zilla, my sentence wasn't clear when I said you would get rid of your car... as other people think is the solution to this problem. We thank you for the warning and as far as going with the C6 and here is a warning even on this new one.... I'm sure many of you know about it...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=920046
Old 10-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Beer:30
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts

Sorry Mr. Zilla, my sentence wasn't clear when I said you would get rid of your car... as other people think is the solution to this problem. We thank you for the warning and as far as going with the C6 and here is a warning even on this new one.... I'm sure many of you know about it...
Old 10-13-2004, 11:43 AM
sharpvet03
Melting Slicks

adding a bottle of Chevron Techron will also add 10-15 RWHP and will remove bugs on the front of you car
Old 10-13-2004, 12:25 PM
SavPrato
Pro

Shell seems to be at the center of this problem especially here in Canada

here is an article with regards to Shell and just to let you know that Shell closed 500 station in the SouthEast on the May long weekend for bad gas which contained high sulfur.

just this week a judge okay the Class action against Shell for Quebec.
Any idea where Techron can be purchased in Canada (Toronto)?
Old 10-13-2004, 02:04 PM
Yoggi
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I started using Chevron after reading about the fuel gage problems. Was not having a problem but thought I would play safe.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

No problem speedy-vet

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Guage problem - FIXED

Old 10-13-2004, 02:18 PM
cuda
Racer

Man I love this forum! THANK YOU! My gauge is busted EXACTLY like that. I too took to dealer and they replaced the gauges, BCM, all kinds of crap. I fill up at Shell! I dont run out of gas but I have given up trusting it. It sticks 1/8 over half tank then falls to oh my god level all the sudden. It comes and goes. I cant get over how much grief this forum has saved me from. Chevron comes with techron in it though? You bought some additive at the station as well?
Old 10-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

Are you folks using Regular or Premium unleaded?
Old 10-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by cuda
Chevron comes with techron in it though? You bought some additive at the station as well?
Yes, I know that the premium and super premiun does contain techron.
I also buy techron to add to the fuel from Chevron and I have seen bottles in some automotive stores.

Quick Reply: Fuel Guage problem - FIXED