Sponsored by:

Warning Texas Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 01:46 PM
TxOily
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning Texas Drivers

On my weekly commute from Houston to Dallas, I was informed of a new law instituted September of this year. It requires a driver to either change lanes to reduce speed to 20 MPH below the posted limit. It cost me $237 (or defensive driving) to become informed. Somehow it just didn't seem right to be charged with exceeding a speed limit that was never posted..... but that's my logical engineering mind trying to make linear assumptions in a non-linear world.

While passing through the notorious "speed trap" of the Wilmer-Hutchins area, I reduced speed to 60 MPH and set the cruise. While passing the local constable, I was clocked at a blistering 62 MPH using their new laser guns (they can't seem to find the $$ to finish the new high school, but the LEO's all have the latest and best speed detection equipment; but that's a whole other issue). Of the pack that passed with me, I guess the red C-5 convertible was too good a target.

Any way...... a word to the wise..... for the safety of our boys in blue on the side of the road...... hit the brakes or swerve to the next lane.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:50 PM
bsmith
Team Owner

Received 62 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

that is kind of hard to understand... do you mean that you are supposed to be 20 under the limit if you pass an officer with someone pulled over?
Old 11-01-2004, 01:54 PM
frodo84
Uneducated autodidact
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 174 Likes on 115 Posts

Yes, that makes just as much sense as the front license plate law...oh and by the way NO clear lens on the front license plate to keep the love bugs off. That MIGHT obscure the plate so that the red light cameras couldn't automatically ticket you. According to the new law, any license plate frame that touches any part of the lettering (read: TEXAS at top) is a violation. No knock against cops (because they don't MAKE the laws), but this is just more bs that makes people think badly of law enforcement in general.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:54 PM
12stepvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

I don`t understand...Make a lane change...even if its unsafe? to reduce speed?
Old 11-01-2004, 01:57 PM
Gofasterdad
Racer

I believe it's
"either change lanes or reduce speed to 20 MPH below posted speed"
Old 11-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I remember when that law came out... It's meant to prevent officers gettting hit by traffic. I've seen a few cases on COPS where the cop car gets drilled by a drunk driver while he has another person pulled over...
Old 11-01-2004, 02:01 PM
navy99vert
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

We have the same Law in GA
Old 11-01-2004, 02:03 PM
tonyh2000
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

SB 193 requires drivers nearing stopped emergency vehicles-with lights activated -to either slow down or change lanes.

The law states a driver must either vacate the lane closest to the stopped emergency vehicle if the road has multiple lanes traveling in the same direction or slow down 20 miles per hour below the speed limit. (If the speed limit is below 25 mph the driver must slow down to 5 mph.)

Emergency vehicles include police, emergency medical service and fire vehicles.

A violation is punishable by a maximum fine of $200. If the violation results in property damage, the maximum fine increases to $500. If the violation results in bodily injury, the offense is enhanced to a Class B misdemeanor.

The new law was passed in the last regular session of the Texas Legislature and went into effect Sept. 1, 2003.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:03 PM
frodo84
Uneducated autodidact
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 174 Likes on 115 Posts

Obviously the purpose is to keep idiots from running over cops on the side of the road. I completely agree that their safety is important. No one wants anything like that to happen.

However, if the officer is on the side of the road ticketing someone, then he probably won't happen to have a radar gun in his pocket, right?

It seems like nothing but a revenue generation scheme for them to just pull off the road, and radar traffic to see how many people don't get slow enough quick enough, or change lanes quick enough, especially when doing so might just cause an accident anyway.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:24 PM
GMDGary
Racer

Rubber neckers usually creep by any stopped emergency vehicle, so unless you're first in line, there's not a great deal of risk in speeding past an emergency vehicle. I once sat in a Traffic jam for over two hours on I-40 in NC as a result of rubber neckers slowing down to look a car that had run off the road. It seems to always happen to me in an area where the only alternate route involves a detour of several hundred miles.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:25 PM
JnJ
Racer

Well, the problem is the drunks wont slow down or change lanes (At least not on purpose). I understand the need to protect the boys and girls in blue (my sister is a LEO), but this is another case were they can ticket the general public for a law that can't be inforced on the focal point (drunks), until after the fact......
Old 11-01-2004, 02:26 PM
Ron H
Burning Brakes

I have lived in other states with the same rule. When I first came to Texas I was somewhat amazed that people did not change lanes or slow down when going past an emergency vehicle on the side of the road.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:32 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Seems to me that if you have all these folks suddenly dropping their speed when a LEO is by the side of the road it will cause all kinds of problems for the people behind them that don't know why everyone is shutting it down in front of them!
Old 11-01-2004, 04:13 PM
tonyh2000
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

So was he running radar with his lights on or was he just on the side of the road with no lights?
Old 11-01-2004, 04:28 PM
leonm47
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by frodo84
Yes, that makes just as much sense as the front license plate law...oh and by the way NO clear lens on the front license plate to keep the love bugs off. That MIGHT obscure the plate so that the red light cameras couldn't automatically ticket you. According to the new law, any license plate frame that touches any part of the lettering (read: TEXAS at top) is a violation. No knock against cops (because they don't MAKE the laws), but this is just more bs that makes people think badly of law enforcement in general.
You know my brother you have a good chance to change the law about 7AM tomorrow. As you say we as LEO's sure as hell don't make the laws but we are sworn to enforce them. In 1986 I had the unwanted task along with my Deputy Chief to inform one of my fellow officer's wife that she had just become a widow in a situation on the freeway. Makes you stop and think when it hits close to home. Let's direct our wrath toward Austin.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:04 PM
dezcapt51
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

hey guys ease up!!! i am a fire captain and my engine company works many wrecks and other medical calls at all hours of the day and night. it's gotten so bad the cops ask me to spot my engine so as to protect the scene. they have started chasing motorist down and ticketing them for not slowing down. come with me some night and you might understand a little better
Old 11-01-2004, 05:19 PM
Rob'sC5
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05

It's that "Me First Mentality" that creates these laws in the first place.

It amazes me to see so many people doing everything in their cars but driving.
People in general could give a rats *** about the car or person next to them. Their only focus is to get where they need to get regardless of who or what they **** off in the process. I've lived in the Metroplex for alot of years and seen the traffic multiply over years. Its furstrating driving into work and driving home. I have a neighbor who is a LEO and I do ride alongs with him all of the time. The crap that cops put up with from retards that have no business being on the road in the first place.
I love going out to East Texas to see family. Poeple drive friendlier and actually wave as you pass by. They also will yeild the right of way on two-lane blacktop.

Get notified of new replies

To Warning Texas Drivers

Old 11-01-2004, 05:22 PM
trueblue02
Instructor

I'm a police officer and have almost been hit by cars speeding by me several times. The law is to protect us from people who don't give the consideration that they could strike us with a 5000 lb. vehicle traveling at 70 mph. My partner was struck in his left arm while approaching a vehicle on IH 45. Don't knock the law. Just slow down when we are trying to do our job. As for the LP law. The only thing you cannot have is something that covers a part of the LP to where it cannot be read...ex.TEXAS or the Number. A clear cover, as long as it doesn't obscure the view, is legal.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:41 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,873 Likes on 14,330 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Missouri has the same law now. Its for the safety of the officer and the person pulled over, especially if they are outside the car.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:46 PM
HeyVern
Racer

Location: Grace Valley: A small, peaceful & beautiful valley in the Volunteer State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trueblue02
I'm a police officer and have almost been hit by cars speeding by me several times. The law is to protect us from people who don't give the consideration that they could strike us with a 5000 lb. vehicle traveling at 70 mph. My partner was struck in his left arm while approaching a vehicle on IH 45. Don't knock the law. Just slow down when we are trying to do our job. As for the LP law. The only thing you cannot have is something that covers a part of the LP to where it cannot be read...ex.TEXAS or the Number. A clear cover, as long as it doesn't obscure the view, is legal.
Now this makes perfect sense.

Quick Reply: Warning Texas Drivers