Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firewall Woes..What's behind the dead pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 11:44 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

Default Firewall Woes..What's behind the dead pedal?

Well,

I finally sent the wife and kids shopping so I could put my car up on jacks and do a little tinkering on the car. I just got my LM-1 wideband and had the bung welded in earlier this week. Well, the overpaid turd didn't make the hole big enough so out came the dremel and a steady hand and fixed that. I installed it on the drivers side by the way. I then ran the cable up to the hood release and zip tied it to the hood release all the way to the passenger side. It was very discrete and out of the way. I read a few post that I could run the cable through the firewall on the passenger side. I pulled the tire off, pulled the little patch panel from the wheel well and pulled the fuse box and carpet from the inside. I have no idea how anyone could route anything through there. After 3 hours of scratching my head, I put it all back together in frustration and my job uncomplete. Now I am looking at the drivers side but what is behind the dead panel. Do I just remove the two visual nuts I see to get it off and pull the carpet back. I am almost to the point where I am about to drill a hole in the bottom of the car which I hate to do because 1) I hate cutting on my car any more than necessary where it is visible 2) I would have to run a portion of the cable along the bottom of the car and I can picture me catching it on something or bottoming out and destroying the cable. I did notice that I can get to the area where the hood cable enters into the car. That might be an option. Anywho, anyone else have suggestions. The other problem is that the 6 or 7 pin output connect is a little bigger than a dime so a big hole would be necessary. THanks. Let me know what you would do or have done.

Jim K.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:24 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

TTT
Old 11-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Okay, went at the drivers side this morning behind the dead pedal. Lots of room and a discrete hole in the firewall was a cinch. From there i was able to run the cable under the carpet and plastic along the door sill. Very neat and out of sight. The operating box can hide behind the seat except when needed. Overall, much better than trying to go behind the passenger side in my opinion. Also, someone mentioned a bunch of wires behind the dead pedal. Not a single wire, at least on the 04'.

HOpe this helps someone in the future.

Jim K.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:58 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Please don't drill holes in the bottom of your car. Where do you think the water you run through when it's raining goes? Next month we'll have a post from you about what to do when your carpets get drenched and start to mildew.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:36 AM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Okay, I didn't drill them in the bottom. I went through the firewall and trust me, I silicon the crap out of it and it isn't leaking where I drilled tha that whole. Plus you can't drive the vette in rain or through water. It will melt you know.

Jim K.

Last edited by Corpsvette; 11-07-2004 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 11-07-2004, 03:41 AM
14U2ENV
Melting Slicks

Location: Lino Lakes, MN _________________________ I Figured out how to do this!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by Corpsvette
Plus you can't drive the vette in rain or through water. It will melt you know.

Jim K.

Get notified of new replies

To Firewall Woes..What's behind the dead pedal?

Quick Reply: Firewall Woes..What's behind the dead pedal?