Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Much Time On My Hands/Why Change Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 10:32 AM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Much Time On My Hands/Why Change Exhaust?

Okay, so my Vette is in storage for winter and all I do in my spare time is read this forum and look through Corvette magazines and read the catalogs and make my birthday and x'mas wish list longer. Well, this morning I was looking through a mag at an ad for Corsa exhausts and in thinking about the great number of posts on this forum about exhaust systems, the question I asked myself is "why do Vette owners in such great numbers change their factory exhaust? Can you address that for me? I finally have this dream car of mine and I think the exhaust sound is awesome. Now, mind you...I've never had anything to compare it to, so maybe there is something I'm missing. I guess I have to get over this hurdle first and bring some sense to spending the money on a new system before I get to the next hurdle of which is the best. Maybe this post is one of those issues, and if so I apologize. Thanks. Dan
Old 11-06-2004, 10:54 AM
madeouttaglass
Le Mans Master

Location: AKA Harvey Mushman-I know just enough to be dangerous "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither"- B. Franklin
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

1- Why do people put their Vettes away so long before the snow flies? Mine will get put away as soon as as the first salt truck comes out.-Not 1 day before. They do come with heaters you know.
2- As for the "awesome" stock exhaust sound, Have you gone to any car events? I was at the last Cruise In and wanted to rip my pipes right off as soon as I heard some of the cars there. I guess that's why I ended up with the cutouts.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:03 AM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

The sound is one factor but appearances are also important to me.I hate the look of the stock oval tips so I went to Corsa
Old 11-06-2004, 11:13 AM
RWH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm glad to hear it's not just me. I also just put my car up for the winter and yes it seems now I do alot of catalog surfing looking to add to my X-mass list. The wife and I watched a movie last night and I had a Bud in one hand and an Ecklers catalog in the other. The sad part is it never seems to end!
Old 11-06-2004, 11:14 AM
jaxgator
Le Mans Master

Location: Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

As stated by madeouttaglass in his second point, it was all about the sound for me. The stock mufflers are way too quiet. To me, a stock Vette just doesn't sound like it has the power that it does. After I put on my Borlas it finally sounded like a Vette.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:14 AM
TkitPlz
Drifting

madeouttaglass: The only explanation I can give about putting my car away now is that the weather in ND/MN (I live in Moorhead, MN, which is just across the river from Fargo, ND) is so unpredictable this time of the year that I wanted to make sure I got it to and from the dealer for an oil change before having to do so on snow and so I could get it properly washed, etc. I hear what you are saying. As an example, yesterday was a beautiful day here and so is today. I'm just kicking myself for having put it away so early. Maybe I won't next year. Who knows!! And, no, I have never been to a show where Vettes have been shown with different exhaust systems. You have to understand where I live...there are no such shows close by. I did travel to Dayton, Ohio this year to the Trans Am National car show and did hear different exhaust systems there. That group seems big on Flowmasters. Anyway, such is life! Dan
Old 11-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,814 Likes on 1,926 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Welcome to the forum..Let me tell you a story..
When my c5 was new, a couple of days old, I was not happy with the exhaust but happy with the car.. the exhaust tone did not match this Great American sports car.. I had been doing reaserch about exhaust even before I bought the car..
I talking with exhaust engineers, and manufacturing engineersfrom all the C5 exhaust manufacturers
OK , I had zero'd in on the Corsa Indy pace car exhaust system for many reasons. But I was not sure I could justify the money.
So here is the end of my story.. a couple of days after I had the car, I went to an all night grocery store, I knew there would not be a problem parking etc.,..
it was around 1 a.m.
about 20 cars in a lot that holds 800 cars
as I exited the Store I heard from behind, a dad saying to his sons, two boys around 8 and 10. Wow look at that Corvette... my car was parked right under an over head light about 30 yards from the store.. these guys were about 20 yard behind me but I could hear them clearly..
The dad said to his son's "wait until you here this baby fire up"
I got in and started the car as they passed and the dad just had this disappointed look on his face.. I drove away alittle embarrassed.. I ordered the Corsa Indies the Next day.. I've had them for five years,, they are guaranteed for life..
I could sell them and get half of my money back , but there is no other exhaust that Ive heard over the last five years that sounds better for my driving style, and Ive been in a car that has every exhaust out there..,
I hope this gives you a sense of why

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 11-06-2004 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,858 Likes on 14,316 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I changed mine for two reasons. (1) I did not like the stock exhaust tips, which were little black ovals that could hardly be noticed and (2) because I wanted a sound just a little more like a sports car than the stock exhaust offered.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:29 AM
madeouttaglass
Le Mans Master

Location: AKA Harvey Mushman-I know just enough to be dangerous "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither"- B. Franklin
Cruise-In V Veteran

Dan, I live in East Bumblef---. I honestly have the only Vette within the next 3 or more towns. I drove all the way to BG Ky for the Cruise In and had a riot. (777 miles each way.) You should go there next labor Day. There is NOTHING that you won't see or hear. Meeting some of these CF nutcases is well worth the trip. There is also Corvettes at Carlisle in PA later in the summer. Try going up to the top of the page and click on "Events". From there you are bound to find something to do. The listings really pick up in late winter and early spring. Hope to meet you at one of them, Tom
Old 11-06-2004, 12:05 PM
TkitPlz
Drifting

First to Evil-Twin: Great story and I get the "why" as to the exhaust change. I've noticed in other posts that if you ask which exhaust system is the best, everyone has an opinion and there are even recordings of the various exhaust sounds. I am going to ponder this change as well as the air induction change of the next several winter months.

Second to Madeouttaglass: I think attending one of the events you mention would be an awesome experience and I will check them out. I've noted that many of you have listed that you are "Cruise-In" attendees, but I've never really known what that event was all about. I'll do some research. Yes, it would be good to meet you and the many other fine folks who post on this forum. I appreciate your input and those of Evil-Twin and the others. I guess the only stupid question is the one never asked. This is my first Vette after waiting my lifetime (I'm 51) to fullfill my dream of owning such a car and I can't tell you proud, happy and totally fulfilled I am that I now own one....FINALLY! I don't think the smile has left my face since I bought it brand new a month ago. Anyway, thanks for the info. Regards, Dan
Old 11-06-2004, 12:15 PM
madeouttaglass
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran

Notice how they don't allow EvilTwin to be a CruiseIn attendee?
Old 11-06-2004, 12:22 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Borla Stingers 2 Tip.

1> Sound

2> Look

3> Grins
Old 11-06-2004, 12:29 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Dan - I too, waited a lifetime for my dream car. When I bought it - it already had Corsa Indy's. I've had more comments on the appearance of the tips (3.5" Pro tips) and the sound from Corvette and non-Corvette people alike. It's probably my favorite thing about this car!

I love driving under overpasses with the top down, or through viaducts. That Roar and the mellow tone makes it all worthwhile to me. Not to mention that in my humble opinion, Corsa makes the best looking tips.

I go to a weekly show and shine, and you would be amazed at the assortment of exhaust systems there. But without fail - people come up to me and ask about my exhaust and comment about how tight the tips fit under the car and the shine!

I can't even imagine what the Corvette ownership experience would be like if I didn't have an aftermarket system. It would have been the first thing I changed - especially now that I know the difference!
Old 11-06-2004, 12:37 PM
TkitPlz
Drifting

BlackSedan87: I am definately getting the feel for this issue now. I just sent a note to the dealership I bought the car from and inquired about the Corsa Indy system. He tried to sell me a Corsa system when I bought the car, but never having had a Vette before or heard the difference in exhaust systems, I saw no good reason to even consider such a change. You have to understand that the stock exhaust to me is awesome compared to what I'm used to...Honda Accord exhaust I suppose if one gets a new exhaust system, one should get a different air intake system so everything gets opened up from the front to the back. Oh, no...I fear I'm starting to slide into the same mod money pit that everyone else has fallen into on this site Dan
Old 11-06-2004, 12:43 PM
stevzc5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
I changed mine for two reasons. (1) I did not like the stock exhaust tips, which were little black ovals that could hardly be noticed and (2) because I wanted a sound just a little more like a sports car than the stock exhaust offered.

And thats exactly why I changed mine to Z06 Tis. They look way better and the sound is just right for me.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by madeouttaglass
Notice how they don't allow EvilTwin to be a CruiseIn attendee?
I did go to one and was perminently banned from any future Cruise-INs... But then I could Not blame them..
Old 11-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by TkitPlz
BlackSedan87: I am definately getting the feel for this issue now. I just sent a note to the dealership I bought the car from and inquired about the Corsa Indy system. He tried to sell me a Corsa system when I bought the car, but never having had a Vette before or heard the difference in exhaust systems, I saw no good reason to even consider such a change. You have to understand that the stock exhaust to me is awesome compared to what I'm used to...Honda Accord exhaust I suppose if one gets a new exhaust system, one should get a different air intake system so everything gets opened up from the front to the back. Oh, no...I fear I'm starting to slide into the same mod money pit that everyone else has fallen into on this site Dan
None of us have really spent very much money on mods...
just try one....
it wont hurt...
you wont get hooked on personalizing your C5

Get notified of new replies

To Too Much Time On My Hands/Why Change Exhaust?

Old 11-06-2004, 01:28 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because stock sounds just like a Lexus.....
Old 11-06-2004, 01:28 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
None of us have really spent very much money on mods...
just try one....
it wont hurt...
you wont get hooked on personalizing your C5

You forgot to add one thing E.T. - "Trust me!"
Old 11-06-2004, 01:31 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I love the corsa indys!

for my car it was a "no brainer"

Quick Reply: Too Much Time On My Hands/Why Change Exhaust?