Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 05:40 PM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
Hear! Hear!

This seems really simple to me guys. Mike and ET have provided us with a simple, inexpensive method to reduce sound. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T DO IT! Stick Dynamat, in there, pennies, gravel, pine straw, whatever the hell you want. That seems like a no-brainer to me. It's not like they're making money on this and they DAMN sure shouldn't be having to argue with people about this. It makes it tough on those of us who want and need their advice to ask for it.
I don't know about you Jack but I want to know exactly what a mod or product is going to do. However I come across does not matter...how well does the product work? That is what I would like to know. I agree put whatever in your car...it is your car. But I use this forum to gain real knowledge and that comes from facts, tests, and not from an opinon.

As for the radio question. The factory Bose system lacks high and low frequencies. You can keep the factory and add a sub and/or tweeters if you like. But if you are serious about how you want your car to sound you should dump the entire factory system.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:33 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I just finished laying the Frost King. Got it on the hatch floor, sides, rear, in the storage bins, and over the part behind the seats. Have not done the main cabin, nor the wheel wells (except the inside). Still gotta put the carpets back in ... ran out of daylight, and black on black is hard to see at the best of times.

Wife and I went for a test drive. She says it's quieter ... me, I can't really tell that it is. It sounds a little different, but I'd say not noticeably quieter. Fastest I got to was about 60.

I'll see how it sounds tomorrow when I get everything all buttoned up.

I used almost four rolls. Each roll has about 14 usable square feet, since the last turn on the cardboard tube can't be removed. I used metal tape, especially on overlaps (the adhesive on the foam doesn't stick well to the foil ... which is as it should be; otherwise, you'd never get it unrolled). I put two layers in some places, like over the wheel wells.

Jack, have you taken yours for a spin yet? I'd like to hear your results.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:38 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EatRice
I don't know about you Jack but I want to know exactly what a mod or product is going to do. However I come across does not matter...how well does the product work? That is what I would like to know. I agree put whatever in your car...it is your car. But I use this forum to gain real knowledge and that comes from facts, tests, and not from an opinon.

As for the radio question. The factory Bose system lacks high and low frequencies. You can keep the factory and add a sub and/or tweeters if you like. But if you are serious about how you want your car to sound you should dump the entire factory system.
Then if you have a problem with the data presented, go run your own teste and come to your own conclusion. Given that ET is a GM Engineer and ran six weeks worth of tests on sound reduction in a C5, I hardly consider that just a personal opinion.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:41 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I just finished laying the Frost King. Got it on the hatch floor, sides, rear, in the storage bins, and over the part behind the seats. Have not done the main cabin, nor the wheel wells (except the inside). Still gotta put the carpets back in ... ran out of daylight, and black on black is hard to see at the best of times.

Wife and I went for a test drive. She says it's quieter ... me, I can't really tell that it is. It sounds a little different, but I'd say not noticeably quieter. Fastest I got to was about 60.

I'll see how it sounds tomorrow when I get everything all buttoned up.

I used almost four rolls. Each roll has about 14 usable square feet, since the last turn on the cardboard tube can't be removed. I used metal tape, especially on overlaps (the adhesive on the foam doesn't stick well to the foil ... which is as it should be; otherwise, you'd never get it unrolled). I put two layers in some places, like over the wheel wells.

Jack, have you taken yours for a spin yet? I'd like to hear your results.
ET was very emphatic that (a) you have to do the entire mod to get the benefit and (b) that the majority of the sound is coming from the wheel wells and that's where you'll find the greatest reduction in sound.

No, haven't had mine out. It's RAINING here! Can't get the beast wet, it might melt!
Old 11-27-2004, 06:49 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

ET was very emphatic that (a) you have to do the entire mod to get the benefit and (b) that the majority of the sound is coming from the wheel wells and that's where you'll find the greatest reduction in sound.

No, haven't had mine out. It's RAINING here! Can't get the beast wet, it might melt!
Yeah, wheels wells are next. Looks like I'll have to order some more FK for the cabin.

Rained here most of the day, but stopped. The streets were still wet though, so I just ruined a couple hours cleanup I did yesterday.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:10 PM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then if you have a problem with the data presented, go run your own teste and come to your own conclusion. Given that ET is a GM Engineer and ran six weeks worth of tests on sound reduction in a C5, I hardly consider that just a personal opinion.
I have read that he did that. Have not read his original post about that though and what I have read nothing has pointed to a measurement of sound reduction. That is what I have several times. How much is the road noise is reduced in the measurements of decibels? I will do the test if someone wants to donate their car. I stated that before. Once again...if someone within my area is going to apply Frost King to their car and would like to truely find out how well it performs let me know and I will help with the test.

Have I missed where someone did a db test? I have asked and would love to see one...point me in the right direction if I did.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:54 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

OMG...I have a headache.

Thanks for all the information, but I'll have to read this again tom. to figure it all out...

Has anyone ever tried hydroturf...it is a thick dense foam material use in marine applications for floorboards, but seems like it would be perfect for sound deadining???
Peace
Willfulone
Old 11-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I have read nothing has pointed to a measurement of sound reduction. How much is the road noise is reduced in the measurements of decibels?
but that's the point here. It gave "enough" reduction to satisfy those looking for a cheaper alternative in applications void of high powered car stereos or loud aftermarket exhausts. No "measurement" was needed.

regardless of anyones "measurements" - it will never change anyones opinions of the work and results given by Bill and mines research, and the praise of the people who tried it and liked it.

Save your time and just accept the fact that our research has determined that these materials are "good enough" for C5's that are not needing the density or higher costs of the products that are intended for car stereo enthusiasts.

The FK in my car completely eliminated the quick-rapid "thump" cause by driving over concrete expansion joints and other various road irregularities. If you simply test rolling background noise - then your test would be incomplete considering the actual claims being made here.

I don't think you "get-it"... meaning - what the problems were and exactly what were were trying to solve. Part of the "solving" was to use a lighter weight product that was a lot less expensive - that we couldn't seem to find in the car stereo arena. The car stereo industry was making products that were an overkill for the specific problems we were trying to solve.

I think Bills first problem to solve was the hot tunnel syndrom. Because of his work he also discovered there was a wonderful side effect... sound reduction. So he pressed on.

I'd recommend you putting down all of your DB meters and slide rulers. All they will tell you is that the FK and Reflectix are not suited for high-powered audio applications. And no one here has said that they are.

Bill, I, and all the others on CorvetteForum, and the others on all non-CF forums are happy with these treatments. They gave us exactly what we wanted for the specific gripes/complaints of a stock C5 Corvette.

IMO, trying to see if these treatments will work on a Honda Civic that has a 1000w audio sustem would be a waste of time. Everyone here can already tell you that answer... they won't work well enough for that application.

BTW, Hey ET (Bill) - I'm getting tired of this craap ... how about you ?

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 11-27-2004 at 10:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Dynamat vs. Frost King