Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Z06 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 09:57 PM
toomuchcar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering an 02 Z06 to replace my 99 HT that was recently rear-ended.

I want to get the car in pewter, does anyone know if this is possible?

I also wish to remove the side emblems, are there any holes in the body panels behind the emblems?

Then I will only have to live with the cheesy K-mart (IMO) air ducts in the rear.

Old 07-18-2001, 10:27 PM
JWY
Advanced

I don't understand why you are looking at a Z06 then if you don't like any of the added features. You could just buy the coupe and save 8 G's. The extra horse power is probably a little annoying anyway. To answer your question doesn't look like pewter is available for the Z06 in 02, guess it wasn't popular on the track.

Old 07-18-2001, 10:43 PM
Corvette Canada
Advanced

Toomuchcar, lots of questions from you tonight. The closest you are going to come with Z06 color is Quicksilver. As for the Z06 emblems, no there are no holes drilled behind them, and yes it is painted back there just like the rest of the quarter panel. As for the air ducts, if your worried about that, it does not sound to me like you have driven the car or this would not be an issue at all! Would you prefer to wait for the C6?
Old 07-18-2001, 10:54 PM
toomuchcar
Burning Brakes

Canada, I love the HT and Z06 drivetrain, just not the ornementation the Z06 has, I don't like the red engine covers either. GM does everything cheap, They should have painted the covers red, or left them black with a Z06 405HP logo. The read air duct should have been moulded in too.

Anyway, my car was rear-ended this week, so I am selling it after it gets out of the body shop, and getting a new C5,

Old 07-19-2001, 12:13 AM
autolover
Instructor

How would someone compare the ride between a c5 coupe with regular suspension and a ZO6? This would be based on normal daily driving? Also, how much roughly do the tires cost on the ZO6?

Old 07-19-2001, 12:36 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

No question it's a firmer ride. It's biased toward the track, not the boulevard for sure. You can not only feel the tires working, you can hear them as well - you are really plugged into the environment.
I'd guess $1200 /set.

If you are an enthusiast, get one.

Old 07-19-2001, 12:37 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by autolover
How would someone compare the ride between a c5 coupe with regular suspension and a ZO6? This would be based on normal daily driving? Also, how much roughly do the tires cost on the ZO6?
[/color]
Z06's suspension is definitely firmer that C5 base. It's taunt and very responsive. But you certainly need a lid on your Starbucks. Mine is great as a daily driver.

A fresh set of stock Z06 tires cost about $1050 last time I priced them.

Ranger

Old 07-19-2001, 12:44 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by toomuchcar
I....Then I will only have to live with the cheesy K-mart (IMO) air ducts in the rear.
[/color]
Lot of folks held that opinion initially until they lived with the car for a while.

The rear air scoops are positioned to catch air (rear brake cooling). That means they also catch all manner of road grit and debris that flies by the lower rocker panel. So the scoops are a composite in black, which does a reasonable job of hiding the marrs. Were they painted body color, they'd be nothing but chips.

So, I've grown to admire the thought that went into the why and how of them. You might too.

Ranger

[This message has been edited by Ranger (edited 07-18-2001).]
Old 07-19-2001, 08:57 AM
davidmax
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think chmome, red ,pewtare or red fit all the colors,Ive seen look nice stock or aftermaarket.
Old 07-19-2001, 11:43 AM
Rwdyryd
Racer

Toomuchcar,
I wish there were other colors available for the Z06 too, although EB is sweet. I stayed with my old std. Blk/Blk. On my 02 Vehicle Order Detail there is a section for "special paint" & I've seen a brand new truck @ a dealer painted some B_tt ugly color that no one would (could) want. My point is GM does do specials, I just don't know if it happens at Bowling Green. Why don't you try to be the first!

Bob

Old 07-23-2001, 02:44 PM
tjfees
Racer

Originally Posted by Ranger:
[B
Lot of folks held that opinion initially until they lived with the car for a while.

The rear air scoops are positioned to catch air (rear brake cooling). That means they also catch all manner of road grit and debris that flies by the lower rocker panel. So the scoops are a composite in black, which does a reasonable job of hiding the marrs. Were they painted body color, they'd be nothing but chips.

So, I've grown to admire the thought that went into the why and how of them. You might too.

Ranger

B][/color]
I agree about the rear brake ducts. One forum member painted his and was sorry. Mine are pitted from the air flow and sand that the tires kick up. It's good that they have screens! If you've ever had to use the brakes on the Z06 you would not have any complaints about them whatsoever! JMHO [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-23-2001, 05:33 PM
Nimrod
Le Mans Master

Location: Willow Glen, California.........................."But... Chunks is our dog!"
Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

When I ordered my car last August, I inquired whether my car could "accidently" be painted NBM. At extra cost, of course. The curt reply was "they don't do that". Had to try though.
I've been told that in the early '70s one could order a car and if you paid in full, you could get your car painted ANY color.

Old 07-24-2001, 12:32 AM
KMeloney
Drifting

I balked at the look of the rear brake ducts on the Z when I first saw it in magazines. I couldn't understand why it was shaped as it is, and figured they could have at least made it LOOK better (even if the visual enhancements didn't help the function).

Now (and after owning a Z since February), I actually LIKE the look of the ducts! Hell, I even think that the LS1's are "missing" them from their bodies sometimes. They've really grown on me.

And, another thing that's neat is that a lot of people don't even know what they are, or don't know if they're functional, etc. I think they're a great, sporty touch to the car -- and they make for great conversation peices!

As for the original poster's other beefs (refering to the other ornamentation on the car), I couldn't disagree more (again). GM did a GREAT job of keeping the Z's different markings/badgings understated and neat and handsome. The red rail covers look GREAT with my MY body, as do the red calipers. The "Z06" fender badges are clean and sharp (and smallish). I think GM should be commended on these designs.

-Kirk

Old 07-24-2001, 02:01 AM
steve@work
Instructor

See my post "We Love This Car."

FYI - The emblems are easily removed without a trace with some fishing line, elbow grease, and mineral spirits.

Having been 2000 miles "on the road" with our new Z for the last week, I can appreciate the comments about what would happen to "body color" brake ducts.

steve hummel

[This message has been edited by steve@work (edited 07-24-2001).]

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 questions

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 questions