repainting a flawless c5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 06:49 AM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ravn
Ok, so it looks like I'm going to buy my Fiance's dad's C5. That's great, no problem. It's been in my possession for weeks anyhow while he's moving to the other coast. I've driven it. It's in perfect condition, next to no miles, all that goodness, so I have no problem buying it. My only issue is, it's yellow. I dont like yellow. I mean, I wont die, but I want to have a black car.

So what am I looking at, price-wise, for a high-quality paint job on a C5 coupe? I cant say I've ever had a car repainted before, so this is a new one on me.

Thanks for all the help guys, you've been great.
That's insane.

If yellow really gives you that much heartburn, forget your fiance's Dad's car and go find you a black one but don't repaint the car. That'll make the value of the car drop like a rock.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Sportsdude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
I can't convince you to ever like yellow, but repainting it black would be a waste and you'll never realize your investment into it. If you wanted to go with a custom paint job, that's one thing, but to paint it black...no way.
Think of resale too, a repainted car automatically sends off the "accident" warnings to potential buyers.

If you really want black, start looking for a comparably-equipped black car and work out a trade.

Old 12-05-2004, 07:55 AM
ravn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, wow, lots of replies to wake up to.

Resale isnt my biggest concern... or a concern at all. Hell, I'm going to GIVE my 2000 miata to my dad (its his dream car) when I buy the vette, rather than reselling it.

Honestly, I would look silly in a yellow car. I'm a dark guy. I dont mean "goth" or anything. But I do only wear black and grey. I have dark hair. All my stuff is black. I just am a "black" kinda guy, and bright-yellow just isnt me.

Now I understand why you guys say that I should just buy a black corvette instead then, and normally I'd agree with you, BUT (isnt there always a but?).....

being 22, and with one really bad mark on my credit record (it's been taken care of, I'm not in any debt, blah blah, etc..), in order to get a loan for the car I need a cosigner (which is really funny because I make enough money that they really shouldnt need it). Since my fiance's dad wants his sold, he'll cosign for me to buy his from him. Win-Win for both of us. Obviously if I wanted to get someone else's instead, there could be complications.

There is definitely some possibilities on buying it, keeping it a while, and then trading it in for a black one later though. I hadnt thought of that, and will definitely keep it under advisement.

Or I may just hold off painting it til I get a completely custom paint-job done (which I would probably do at some point down the road anyhow).

Anyway, thanks for all the advice guys. As always, you've been most helpful!
Old 12-05-2004, 07:55 AM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

[QUOTE=EnglandGreen the PermaGrin(TM) will be priceless.[/QUOTE]

PermaGrin.... now, that's priceless... Sorry, gonna have to infringe on your TM

I love it.

Mark
Old 12-05-2004, 09:36 AM
C5 ChemE
Burning Brakes

Just buy a Black car and save the yellow one for those of us who APPRECIATE IT!!!!
Old 12-05-2004, 11:30 AM
CarsRFun
Drifting

dont get black, its a PAIN the A$$ to keep looking good!
Plus yellow is hot.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:37 AM
ravn
Racer

I am well aware of the difficulties in keeping black looking good
my last 2 cars (2000 Mazda Miata, and 1989 Camaro IROC-Z Conv.) were both black.

Dont worry, I've decided to leave it yellow til I can afford my custom paint job, which will likely be a year or two :P
Old 12-05-2004, 01:32 PM
andy60
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Too bad it is not a vert, we could trade. I love yellow, have 3 X Black

Have Fun
Andy
Old 12-05-2004, 01:50 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

lol, wow, lots of replies to wake up to.

Resale isnt my biggest concern... or a concern at all. Hell, I'm going to GIVE my 2000 miata to my dad (its his dream car) when I buy the vette, rather than reselling it.

Honestly, I would look silly in a yellow car. I'm a dark guy. I dont mean "goth" or anything. But I do only wear black and grey. I have dark hair. All my stuff is black. I just am a "black" kinda guy, and bright-yellow just isnt me.

Now I understand why you guys say that I should just buy a black corvette instead then, and normally I'd agree with you, BUT (isnt there always a but?).....

being 22, and with one really bad mark on my credit record (it's been taken care of, I'm not in any debt, blah blah, etc..), in order to get a loan for the car I need a cosigner (which is really funny because I make enough money that they really shouldnt need it). Since my fiance's dad wants his sold, he'll cosign for me to buy his from him. Win-Win for both of us. Obviously if I wanted to get someone else's instead, there could be complications.

There is definitely some possibilities on buying it, keeping it a while, and then trading it in for a black one later though. I hadnt thought of that, and will definitely keep it under advisement.

Or I may just hold off painting it til I get a completely custom paint-job done (which I would probably do at some point down the road anyhow).

Anyway, thanks for all the advice guys. As always, you've been most helpful!

Well, to start with, if resale isn't a concern at all...then you're showing your youth. You say there's a black mark on your credit so that tells me you don't handle your money all that well. Ignoring the financial implications of seriously reducing a car's value is NOT the way to financial success. You might not be concerned about the resale today, but in five years when your car has 200K miles on it and you need to get another one, it'll matter then.

As far as your "black" look, that too is part of your age. EVERYBODY your age wears nothing but black. That's a fad and fads come and go faster than Georgia thunderstorms. Three years from now the big color might be yellow, who knows? At any rate, as you get older, you'll start wearing something besides black. Besides, who the hell cares what you wear? It's not like you and the car have to match.

But even if your fiance's father will float you a loan, that's not going to help much on a trade. You'll still have to get a loan for the black car and the cosign on the yellow one isn't going to help.

So you're either going to drive a yellow car or ruin it by painting it. The only sort of decent paint job you could possibly get would cost you about $10K and it strikes me that a guy who needs a cosigner to buy the car isn't likely to have ten big ones floating around for a paint job.

Sorry if this post seems a bit harsh but I really get upset when someone talks about intentionally ruining a car and not thinking about what makes sense. If I were you, I'd learn to like yellow.

Last edited by JACKAL0PE; 12-05-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:51 PM
jeromeunderwood
Instructor

Yellows no that bad!
Old 12-05-2004, 01:54 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jeromeunderwood
Yellows no that bad!

No, it's not. I don't like 'em cause cops love 'em but they look great.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:56 PM
iceburgh
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by jrose7004
You will pretty much kill the value of the car if you change colors!
This is BS...the C5 never has been and never will be a collector.....none of them not even the 50th AE.
If the job is done correctly it will not add or take away from the value of the car
Old 12-05-2004, 02:01 PM
needhlp
Drifting

Everyone knows that red is faster than yellow
Old 12-05-2004, 02:02 PM
ravn
Racer

ok, so jackalope's post is just plain evil, and I'm going to ignore it to promote friendly forum relations and not get into a flame war

I'll leave it with: Well, I'm gonna get it, and I'm gonna do whatever I'm gonna do. It's not your car, so its not your business

As for the rest of you guys, again, I appreciate all the input and how much you all enjoy yellow. I'm glad you do. It's just not my choice in color. I've already said that the car will remain yellow until it gets its full custom paint job which will be a few years off, and that will give it PLENTY of time to "grow" on me, if it is indeed going to do that

I now have a very good idea of the price involved in painting the car if I wished to do so, which was the purpose of this thread, and so I thank you all for your wonderful input and for answering my questions.

edit: oh yea, iceburgh, I absolutely love your paint job. it looks just excellent. Good work!
Old 12-05-2004, 02:04 PM
jeromeunderwood
Instructor

I think I would let it grow on me!
Old 12-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by iceburgh
This is BS...the C5 never has been and never will be a collector.
What does that have to do with resale value? Everything has a value, it doesn't need be collectible.

If the job is done correctly it will not add or take away from the value of the car
How many C5's have you seen repainted in a stock color to make this statement?
We aren't discussing a custom paintjob like yours, or the many custom colored C5's on this forum.

A car repainted n a stock color will be hard to sell, and that will inherently lower it's value. No, it's not collectible, but the difference between selling for $25k and selling for $20k might matter to some people.

Last edited by Y2Kvert4me; 12-05-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:11 PM
iceburgh
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
What does that have to do with resale value? Everything has a value, it doesn't need be collectible.

How many C5's have you seen repainted in a stock color to make this statement?
We aren't discussing a custom paintjob like yours, or the many custom colored C5's on this forum.

A car repainted n a stock color will be hard to sell, and that will inherently lower it's value. No, it's not collectible, but the difference between selling for $25k and selling for $20k might matter to some people.

If the job is done correctly nobody will be able to tell that the car has been repainted...GM no longer puts paint codes in VIN numbers so the only place you will see this is the info tags under the rear compartment covers( easy fix they are stickers) chances are if you have a buyer and they like the car they will never look at this to compare unless it is a collector and a collector will not be looking for a stock C5.
Just my opinion...I have painted many of my cars and changed color on a few....never hurt the resale as long it was a quality job

Get notified of new replies

To repainting a flawless c5?

Old 12-05-2004, 02:13 PM
Blueyednd
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Instead of paint, why not change the look a bit with a set of black wheels and paint the rear facia black like a C5R or go with a black stripe package... Supporting Vendor mike76002 has some great looking stripe packages...
Old 12-05-2004, 02:17 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

I'm not a huge fan of yellow... but I'd take Y2Kvert4me's yellow coupe any day of the week. That's one bad azz yellow car

Old 12-05-2004, 02:19 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

ok, so jackalope's post is just plain evil, and I'm going to ignore it to promote friendly forum relations and not get into a flame war

edit: oh yea, iceburgh, I absolutely love your paint job. it looks just excellent. Good work!
Good for you, kid! LOL I'm only 29 so take that for what it's worth.

Yeah, iceburgh's paint is sick!!! In a good way.

Maybe some stripes or something to set the car apart from a solid yellow? Just a thought! Good Luck! Welcome to the Forum!

Quick Reply: repainting a flawless c5?