Sponsored by:

Recommended Oil Change Interval????

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 10:19 AM
WolfeBros
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'10-'11

Motor oils have changed significantly the last 40 yrs. Engines also run leaner and hotter and without as much waste products going into the oil. Changing a good synthetic oil at 3000 miles is a big waste of money and natural resources IMHO. Its your car do what makes you comfortable.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:22 AM
BubblePuppy
Safety Car

Location: Si Vis Pacem Habeatis Filios Vestros, Ad Bellum Parare Modo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-17-2004, 10:29 AM
ROADAPPLE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-17-2004, 10:50 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I used to change my oil every 3,000 miles without exception. Now with the oil life calculator onboard, I have stretched it to about 4,500 miles. Unless you only drive on the highway, I cannot image the oil life calculator saying you could go 15,000 miles.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default 8 top auto maintenance myths

http://biz.yahoo.com/brn/041217/14546_1.html

Bankrate.com
8 top auto maintenance myths
Friday December 17, 6:00 am ET
Terry Jackson

Want to save hundreds of dollars a year on automobile maintenance?
Then stop over-maintaining your vehicle.

Sales pitches by fast-and-furious oil change shops and service centers touting all sorts of fluid flushes and lube jobs have Americans wasting wads of cash on unnecessary service items -- particularly on vehicles built in the last 10 years.

Often bewildered by the mass of electronics, wires and hoses that adorn a modern engine, many drivers simply put themselves at the mercy of service facilities that may only be interested in running up your bill.

Of course there's the flip side to all of this: Some drivers never gets cars serviced and then wonder why the engine seizes after the oil has turned to sludge.

But it's more likely that you're one of those drivers who follow the maintenance advice your dad gave you 30 years ago when you got your first car.

Thanks to computer-controlled ignitions, improvements in filter technology, upgraded suspension designs and other mechanical improvements developed by the manufacturers, today's vehicles require far less maintenance than the cars our parents drove.

Doubt that premise?
Check your owner's manual and see what it says about when to change oil or do other maintenance. The 2005 Honda Civic, for example, calls for oil changes every 10,000 miles. The average recommended oil change interval industry-wide tends to be 7,500 miles.

General Motors, Mercedes-Benz and other manufacturers have added an oil life indicator on the instrument cluster that tells you when the oil needs changing. The car's computer keeps track of starts and stops, as well as other factors, and calculates the oil's useful interval. Depending on how you drive, GM says it's possible to see 10,000 miles or more between oil changes.

These guidelines are coming from companies that have a vested interest in keeping your car running trouble-free: If you're happy with the car or truck, you're more likely to buy another one. And a well-maintained car means the manufacturer has to pay out less in warranty claims.

Even Motor Age magazine -- the publication for the automotive service industry (the people who want your service and repair business) -- put it succinctly: "Following the factory schedule should keep nearly any car or truck healthy past the warranty period.''

Consider that the average household has two vehicles and drives each 15,000 miles a year. Following the advice of the local change-a-lot fast lube outlet -- to change oil and filter every 3,000 miles -- the average family would pay for 10 oil and filter changes every year. At, say, $30 a pop, that's $300.

That same family could cut its oil change bill by $180 by following the manufacturer's advice to change oil every 7,500 miles.

There are some exceptions that might require more frequent oil changes: Driving in an abnormally dusty climate or taking a lot of short, stop-and-go trips. But the oil change interval for such conditions is again spelled out in the owner's manual. No need to do it more frequently.

A word of caution about owner's manuals: Some dealers, in an effort to boost profits, give buyers a "supplemental" owner's manual or service guide that calls for more frequent servicing. Don't be fooled into thinking you have to follow these recommendations -- it's just the dealer's way of competing with the fast-lube places for your money.

Beyond oil changes, the basic servicing of a vehicle is becoming less demanding, particularly within the first 60,000 miles of ownership.

Spark plugs don't have to be changed for at least 100,000 miles, and most new cars don't require any chassis lubrication. With coolant systems that are entirely recirculating and with coolant manufacturers making strides in their products' chemical components, the seasonal radiator flush is becoming a thing of the past.

Yet anyone who goes to a service facility is likely to get pitched "routine'' maintenance services from fuel injector cleaning to coolant flushes to air-conditioner refrigerant replacement.

Just say no -- or at the very least compare what they're trying to sell with what your owner's manual recommends -- and you can avoid hundreds of dollars in unnecessary maintenance costs a year.

Here are eight of the most common auto maintenance myths:

Greasy kids' stuff. Unless your owner's manual calls for it, don't change every 3,000 miles. Also, don't waste money on more expensive synthetic oil unless your car requires it. Use only the grade and quality oil specified in your owner's manual.

Un-classy chassis. If someone says your chassis needs lubing, check it out before doing anything. Most cars built in the last 10 years don't require lubrication. And if the mechanic says he can put in a fitting so the chassis can be lubed (pumped full of grease), don't fall for it. Adding grease where none is required could lead to problems.

Looney tune-ups. Computer-controlled engines have made the standard tune-up a thing of the past. It used to be a tune-up called for new spark plugs and ignition parts like distributor cap, points and rotor. Aside from spark plugs, cars don't have points and rotors and many don't have traditional distributor caps.

Filter fantasy. There are a plethora of filters -- oil, air, fuel, transmission -- on modern vehicles, and they all need replacing at some time or another. But not at every oil-change interval. Air filters often can be blown clean with compressed air and then replaced at every other oil change. Check the owner's manual for recommended replacement intervals for all filters.

Transmission-friction fiction. Flushing the automatic transmission system also is often recommended by service centers as a routine maintenance item. But most manufacturers say it's not needed until at least 60,000 miles -- if then. If your transmission has a filter, check the owner's manual for when it should be replaced.

Hot flushes. It used to be conventional wisdom that you drained your radiator twice a year at spring and fall. But most cars now have closed systems that don't lose coolant over time, and modern coolant fluids -- antifreeze in our parents' jargon -- can last two years and more before losing effectiveness.

Injection deception. Sometimes cleaning fuel injectors means adding a bottle of fluid to the gas tank; other times it's a mechanical procedure involving a sort of pressure cleaning and chemical wash costing $50 and up. Either way, don't do it unless called for by the manufacturer. Few of them do. Gasoline is required to have a certain detergent component that will keep injectors and combustion chambers clean. If your vehicle is running rough, there are likely other causes and injector cleaning isn't likely to help over the long-term.

Warranty validity. Some dealers will tell you that you have to get the recommended service items done at their shop to keep your warranty in force. They may even tell you that you have to follow their supplemental service list. Not true. You can get service done anywhere; you can even do it yourself. Just keep records and receipts, should any questions arise over a warranty claim. What is true, however, is that doing no maintenance -- oil changes and filters at recommended intervals -- can void a warranty.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:19 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Cajundude
Every 90 days for me regardless of mileage.
Do the oil companies send you a gift every Christmas? If not they should!
Old 12-17-2004, 11:21 AM
jeromeunderwood
Instructor

Thanks for all of you who provided valuable input. My 01 Vert is the first car I have owned with the oil life remaining system, so obviously I like to get experienced input from others. As far as changing the oil, I have always changed my own between 3,000 and 3,500 miles. Luckily when I purchased my 01 a few weeks ago it had just had a service performed so I have yet experienced the need for oil change. As far as search the forum for related topics, I’m sure most of our conversations on this forum have been covered before at some point. But with new experiences comes new reasons for talking, and as long as were talking, the forum is working. Personally I don’t feel obligated to reply to any forum post, I post to the ones that I have a helpful opinion towards. So again, thank you all for your valuable input.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:57 AM
07blackcoupe
Burning Brakes

Location: Lost in the Pine Barrens with only ketchup and relish packs, New Jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it was a good post. Here are my intervals:
I have had the 99 for almost a year and have already put 16k miles on it. I drive it every day (unless it has been in the shop for animal damage!) and I put in about 400 to 500 miles a WEEK!!! I am currently at about 5K miles on this oil change and the DIC Oil Life is about 33%. I will probably get it changed before 25% life. I have had problems in the past with oil consumption though??? I have had the LOW OIL Light come on when it goes under or around 30%. When I check the oil it is low in the acceptable range- not to the add line. I changed it when I got it at the dealer the first time. Had a friend who is a mechanic with a shop and lift do it the second time, and to another dealer the third time. The Low oil light came on for the first two changes, and has not came on for this change yet!!! Checked the oil recently and it is OK
Old 12-17-2004, 01:19 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I think it's a good post as well.

I change mine whenever I feel like

Seriously, I change mine fairly frequently - at about the 45%-50% oil life left on the DIC. Why? because I drive aggressively and I have a blower. better to be safe than sorry - and for the cost of 7 quarts of oil and a filter, that peace of mind is worth it for me.

To each their own. I do not want to waste natural resources - but I also do not want a melted engine.

EG
Old 12-17-2004, 01:21 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

i do 7500 - 8000 miles because i drive spirtedly.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:07 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I do what my DIC says. I have to hold my dipstick up to the light to make sure I had put it in all the way.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:17 PM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I read where you should get min 15K miles on syn oil.......anyway, my computer goes to 0% and then annoyingly says CHANGE OIL everyday all day and it won't go away so I am forced to change at usually 8K miles....I think the 2k and 3k guys are definitely OCD
Old 12-17-2004, 02:43 PM
TripleBlackxThree
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by jeromeunderwood
Thanks for all of you who provided valuable input. My 01 Vert is the first car I have owned with the oil life remaining system, so obviously I like to get experienced input from others. As far as changing the oil, I have always changed my own between 3,000 and 3,500 miles. Luckily when I purchased my 01 a few weeks ago it had just had a service performed so I have yet experienced the need for oil change. As far as search the forum for related topics, I’m sure most of our conversations on this forum have been covered before at some point. But with new experiences comes new reasons for talking, and as long as were talking, the forum is working. Personally I don’t feel obligated to reply to any forum post, I post to the ones that I have a helpful opinion towards. So again, thank you all for your valuable input.
I agree! A good post, and an even better follow up reply. From your response above, it's clear you know MUCH more about "fishing" than some professed "teachers". Much class displayed.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:32 PM
6 speed Sid
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Each his/here own, but I trust my brain more than the GM DIC. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:56 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

I get my oil analyzed when I change it, and doing it every 3k is definitely too soon.

Next summer I will run it until the DIC says zero percent, and I will prove that the oil is still good.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:02 AM
WhiteC5Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by 92BlackRoseconv
My stepfather who was a GM dealer for 30 years says they put that 15,000 mile crap in the book so they can sell you a new motor at 75,000 miles. He always says 3 months or 3000 miles. Changing oil can make a motor last forever. I just sold a 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood with its original LT1 motor with 358,000 miles. No rebuilds just fresh oil every 3000 miles. Mobil 1 will last a lot longer then regular oil though, but I never go past 3000 miles with my vette anyway.
And the dealer is in the business of making money, and oil changes are a winning proposition for them. Therefore, dealers, oil change locations and oil companies say change the oil every 3,000 miles.
The information supplied by your DIC is very accurate; therefore, I advise a person to do what their DIC says, and change their oil at the indicated mileages/dates.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:13 AM
bipp>C5
Advanced

For something that has been talked about probably a good bit before, it is getting plenty of attention now. Had my vette for 6 months now. First oil change when DIC said 50% this time I'm letting it ride down closer to 25% or when it tells me time is up. It just seems wrong to be driving it at 50% or lower but I doubt GM wants a bunch of pissy vette owners out there with enough time on their hands to chit-chat on a forum

Get notified of new replies

To Recommended Oil Change Interval????

Old 12-18-2004, 09:23 AM
Joe’s Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

If you use conventional oil then 3K miles. If you use a good quality synthetic like Mobil 1 or Amsoil then 7000-10000 mile ol change intervals are not a problem. I do mine around every 8K miles.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by 6 speed Sid
Each his/here own, but I trust my brain more than the GM DIC. Merry Christmas.
Being involved in the development of this car, I know first hand that GM engineering has been doing oil analysis for many years developing this oil monitoring system.. your Brain could never take into account how many rpms your engine sees, the length of time it is in first, and second gear,or sixth, how many times you down shift, the oil temperature, the load , summertime driving vs. quickstarts in winter, etc. Like I said mileage is a poor yardstick to measure oil changes, this isnt 1960. Use the Monitor.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 12-18-2004 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:34 AM
jjjflex
Pro

Originally Posted by Daniel90conv
Daaamn man, the poor guy was only askin a question.... Cut a quy some slack...!!!!There's plenty of times Im not near my Vette, or at work when a question pops up and there is always the CF with its all knowing great group of folks just dyin to show how helpfull they can be....Lighten up.... Believe me your turn will come....

The following users liked this post:
friou (06-16-2016)

Quick Reply: Recommended Oil Change Interval????