Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one with funny stop light stories?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 10:47 PM
MBDowney
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any one with funny stop light stories?

Reading the 350Z thread about the kid climbing over mom to get a better look at the C5 made me remember a funny stop light story of my own…

This past summer, I was on my way home from work and was approaching a red light. There were 3-4 cars stopped in the left hand lane, so I decided to take advantage of the open right lane. I slowly pulled up to the light and noticed that a silver Buick something-or-other had stopped short of the line by about a half a car length, and it seemed a little odd. I glanced at the driver, who was an elderly woman (big poofy gray hair, etc.) didn’t give it much thought beyond that and began to fiddle with my radio.

I didn’t notice that the light had turned green (attention still on the radio) until I heard the Buick next to me rev really high, tire chirping and launch out into the intersection. Couldn’t believe eyes… Granny apparently put the go petal through the floor and wanted to see if I’d bite…

I of course did, didn’t have to try very hard to overtake her and when I pulled into the left lane ahead of her, I gave her a little wave and looked in the rear view… She waved back and gave me the (I looked twice to make sure it was her thumb ).

It made my day.

Any one else have any funny stories to share?

MBDowney
Old 12-19-2004, 11:13 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Once, I had a guy (with his girlfriend) in a Isuzu Rodeo rev his engine ... then he busted up laughing ... I busted up laughing before I left the light. He caught me at another light and said thanks for not being a jerk and embarassing him.

Another time, I was stopped at a red, on the phone. I saw the passenger of the car on my left gesturing to me. I looked over and thought, "DAYUMN!". She mouthing "I Love Your Car." Put my phone on hold, lowered my window, and said, "Excuse me?". She said, " I want a ride in your car. Will you take me?" - I can't post what I thought I heard ... she threw a piece of paper with her phone # on it, into my car as both cars pulled away. I got back on the phone, left the window down and go on the freeway. The piece of paper flew out the window. Easy come ... easy go I guess?
Old 12-19-2004, 11:13 PM
MY1STPEWTER
Melting Slicks

I looked twice to make sure it was her thumb

Old 12-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Mr. Lucky
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by MyVetteDream
she threw a piece of paper with her phone # on it, into my car as both cars pulled away. I got back on the phone, left the window down and go on the freeway. The piece of paper flew out the window. Easy come ... easy go I guess?
Just think... the guy who cleans up the road trash is having his way with her now, while you're still talking on the phone.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:11 AM
R&DTOYVETTE
Heel & Toe

Default no stoplight but how about trip to Sonic drive-in

I have no stoplight stories...yet...but after just getting my '01 magred vert...A few weeks ago on the first nice day I put the top down and went to Sonic where some folks in the next slot to my left proceeded to pour a 1/2 full soda out the window of their truck and then follow that by tossing out their condiments, lettuce, etc onto the sidewalk [B]barely in front of my car... my response was similar to that on the TV comm with the c6 and the little Cobalt at the stop light... I guess we're very blessed so we have to be patient with the rest of the world...right...?
Old 12-20-2004, 12:46 AM
B1Mario
Instructor

A brand new hummer pulled up next to me a few weeks ago and as I and my wife leaned over to look at it, the whole family in the hummer (dad and son (12?) in the front, mom and daughter (15?)) were all pressed against the window looking at us!! We gave them a wave and laughed the rest of the way home!! Nothing like mutual admiration!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 03:39 AM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MyVetteDream
I got back on the phone, left the window down and go on the freeway. The piece of paper flew out the window. Easy come ... easy go I guess?

*sniff* *sniff* ... ok something stinks.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:55 AM
BickyDhadwal
Melting Slicks

GREAT STORIES!!!...heres my favorite....couple of months ago when the weather was right and the car was sparkling with the top down....I get to a stop light and see a family walking on the sidewalk...family of 4...2 kids and the parents...they all turn around and the young boy around 7-8 keeps his head turned and walks into the street lamp post....i laugh everytime i drive past that light...
Old 12-20-2004, 03:58 AM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Bicky

I personally like your story about you getting pulled over by the cops better
Old 12-20-2004, 05:20 AM
johnnyvettes
CHICAGO CREW !
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: We are living in a Bazzaro World everything is upside down half ass backwards !
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12

LAST MAY WHEN I WAS IN BOWLING GREEN STOPPED AT A LIGHT some high school kidds in a mini van pulls next to me. the side door opens and the kid say do you want to race. i put it in netural and let my long tubes and PRTs answer him . laughed all the way back to the hotel . the kid say holy shnits and gives me the thums up ....
Old 12-20-2004, 07:33 AM
Trainman-2
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Check Out:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=972894
Old 12-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Railfan
Burning Brakes

Well, this happened several years ago, 1970 to be exact. I was driving a 1968 VW beetle and was at a stoplight when a 66 vette pulled up next to me. I reved my engine and popped the clutch just barely squeeking the wheels when the light turned green. As the vette passed me, the guy driving was laughing and gave me a thumbs up. Now I have a vette and whenever anyone does the same to me, I make sure I smile and give a friendly wave when I pass them (without having to race them and prove anything, just like the guy did almost 35 years ago).

Mike
Old 12-20-2004, 08:44 AM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I once had a guy in an old beat up Astro Van yell, "hey, you want to race? He then started to rev his engine. I told him, sure, why not, and started laughing. He complemented me on the vette and asked me some quick questions. At the light, I gave him a bit of a show but didn't go too fast, just did a nice launch for him to see.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,824 Likes on 14,295 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by MBDowney
I gave her a little wave and looked in the rear view… She waved back and gave me the (I looked twice to make sure it was her thumb

You got to love those little old ladies.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:36 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I got my first vette I was in my ride I got in high-school, a '90 Ford Probe. I'm driving down the street in the slow lane and a black C5, dark tint, lowered, and exhaust goes to pass me... so I'm liking his car so I thought I'd try to provoke him.

So here I am pacing him in a '90 Ford Probe with MAYBE 100 flywheel HP and I drop it in 4th (60mph or so) to get the engine to rev and I start lurching. I couldn't see the driver, but he kept slowing down and speeding up trying to get away from me. (My plan was working!) So after about 2 minutes of it I was coming up on some slow traffic while his lane was clear.

He downshifted and freakin' FLOORED it and I was like this for a week: This happened a few years ago, but I can still see the butt of his ride squatting and taking off. I remember thinking, "we were going the speed limit and he just took off like we were stopped!" Ahh the memories...
Old 12-20-2004, 03:11 PM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

not in a vette, but I had a guy ride his bicycle into a sign when he was checking out my sandrail. I looked over to hear this, "****" and see the guy hit the sign. I pulled over (was at a stop sign) and asked if he was ok, he was. He said, I never seen so musch polished alum and chrome and just rode right into the sign lookin at your buggy. We both laughed pretty good.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:30 PM
NXTFAZE
Melting Slicks

Received 260 Likes on 76 Posts

Default My little memory

Hey Fellas,

My story was when i was a kid riding in my dad's full size Chevy Van on the highway. We were in the right lane in a two lane highway heading back to the house (probably from home depot). A shiny red C4 vert was aproaching a car in the left lane holding up traffic. As soon as it was clear, he punched it and passed the car by moving into the right lane and then back in the passing lane. Like someone mentioned earlier, it was as if we were standing still....... I was like DAMN.... (more like wow). I looked over at my dad and I knew he was impressed, too!!!!!

Love this stuff!!!!

Merry Chrismas ALL

-Marko

Get notified of new replies

To Any one with funny stop light stories?

Old 12-20-2004, 04:24 PM
phrankw
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

A few weeks ago my wife and I were stopped at a light and it was a very nice day so our windows were down. A minute into the light a cop pulls up and stops right next to us in the right lane. His window is also down. As I'm talking to my wife I notice him checking out our car and he gives me a little wave. I smiled and waved back and and said, "Wanna race?"

He smiled real big and said, "Sure, I'll give you a head start."

All three of us started laughing. They're not as bad as some will tell you.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:24 PM
angman5
Drifting

I was in high school riding with a friend in his Torino GT we called him the power brake king many stories to tell about that guy. Well a 68 or 69 pulls up next to us at a roll about 40 I saw that 427 emblem on the hood the power brake king goes WOT the Corvette keeps playing with us passes us slows down lets us catch up then pulls away again three times.

Well I thought that Torino was fast until that night.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:31 PM
I-SPEEED
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Great stories, thanks everyone for the lauphs! I love the kid banging into the sign! I could also picture a blue haired florida resident punching her buick! That is classic!

Quick Reply: Any one with funny stop light stories?