Sponsored by:

[Z06] water in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 02:12 AM
john5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in trunk

I just purchased my zo6 last week,and got my first rain with the car.I notice the two small compartman in the back are wet.The seal around the truck looks fine,any ideas where water is coming from
Old 01-17-2005, 06:11 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

The Corvette isn't known for its water tightness. One reason why I don't drive mine in the rain.

If it's not your rear window seal then maybe the water is getting in from below the compartments.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:23 AM
pbadad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also try checking the trunk lid gaskets and make sure nothing 's blocking the run-off drains...........jimmy
Old 01-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pbadad
also try checking the trunk lid gaskets

He already said that seal was good.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:14 PM
pbadad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gee .....excuse me for missing that.........

Last edited by pbadad; 01-18-2005 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:25 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

john: is your car parked on flat, level ground?

i found after some stupid trial & error (more error than trials!) that when i washed my z, the trunk would occasionally leak too. my driveway has a slope on it, and when i parked perpendicular to the driveway with a slight tilt to the downward slope (i.e., left rear of car was at least a couple of feet higher to the level plane than the right front), those little cutwaway areas in the trunk's gutter, at the base of the rear window, would fill up fast! those would overflow a bit, especially when i'd run the hose over the car with the nozzle off and full flow of water just before drying it (to get the most water to fall off in "sheets").

after realizing this, i just pulled forward to the most flat area of the driveway when washing and presto! no more leaking. go figure...

anyway, just a suggestion...
Old 01-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Woods
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by john5
I just purchased my zo6 last week,and got my first rain with the car.I notice the two small compartman in the back are wet.The seal around the truck looks fine,any ideas where water is coming from

You need to pull the carpet back and pour a glass of water around the the trunk area. I found my leaks in three areas, one was the flapper door on the lower left small compartment. The rubber gasket was a poor seal, so I used some 3M window weld sealer, you could use black silicone. The other area is at the hinge part of the trunk where it bolts down to the body, the rivets that holds the base of the hinge down leak through rivets and the bolts. Put sealer on the those as well and finally water seeped through the butt joints where the two inner panels met, used rubberized undercoat for that. The Z06's are prone to leaks especially the Hard top area front, side, rear. I'm not bashing the Z06 its the best Vette I have ever owed. The z06 has its flaws, People just don't know because it seeps under the carpet or the don't drive them in the rain. Clue, if you Z06 is leaking, it fogs very easy with the heat on/off. I have pulled my entire interior out and found other leaks. My 03 is still under warranty but I know the dealer whould not take the amount of time I did to do the job correcty. Hope this helps

Last edited by Woods; 01-18-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:24 PM
02 batmobile
Instructor

Living in Seatte Washington I see a lot of rain (2 1/2 inches yesterday). As a daily driver my vette is constantly in the rain and being washed. I must be lucky, I've never had a water leak!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Try looking under your carpet for holes. I disovered a hole drilled in the bottom of my center compartment, but haven't looked at the side ones. When I mentioned it here i was surprised to learn many others have this as a standard feature!

Old 01-20-2005, 03:11 PM
dennis1
Advanced

Default Water leak

My 2002 Z06 had a similar leak. It was due to the gasket where the hard top was mated to the body. Standing at the rear of the Z06 with the trunk open the dealer had a small took which looked like what the dentist use to clean your teeth to move along the seam about an inch back from where the rear window meets the body. You can see the joint with the trunk open. It is just forward of the rubber trunk gasket. He showed me where in one area you could not feel the gasket material. The Chevrolet dealer found the gasket that was out of position and added 3M caulking and that stopped the leak.

Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To water in trunk

Quick Reply: [Z06] water in trunk