C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

car uses OBDII or Controller Area Network (CAN)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 PM
ZR1991
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car uses OBDII or Controller Area Network (CAN)

Considering a question that came up from an MSD product. In addition to OBDII, there is a communication protocol called CAN for short. MSD says the C6 uses CAN, and their device (the "Dashhawk") can work with the C6. In the meantime, though they do not claim to have checked the C5, they will not say the device will work with the C5.

I know I am in the right place, does the C5 have CAN. Or is it different from the C6. I know both are OBDII spec cars, of course.

Better, anyone have experience with or comments about the MSD Dashhawk?

Regards, Art in Baton Rouge
Old 03-18-2009, 10:27 PM
ZR1991
Drifting

WOW, I am surprised. MSD was the best when we were building our race motors 20 years ago, but I figured they did not make as many useful products on our newer cars. I was right, but this "Dashhawk" is like an always on monitor for the OBDII codes, including and eliminating them when desired, When all is well, it monitors the codes of your choice (virtually anything the computer sees), and is a very attractive unit for permanent install. Only hook up is to the OBDII connector. I had one and it really nice. But I can't get a clear answer from them about its effectiveness on the C5 (which we know is an OBDII, though the C6 is clearly listed as an approved car. They suggest that they haven't tested all cars yet (which is far different from saying, "the C5 is not on the list because it won't work". Amazon, with whom MSD is now listed, is taking a fairly strong stand, too, because, I presume, the "issue" is not discussed in MSD's website on Amazon. Don't want to over speak. By strong stand, I mean they have been in daily contact, and paid all my costs, and could not have been more pleasant and professional. So inquiring minds want to know, does it work or not? Seems to hinge on the "CAN" protocol. Here is a link, which I should have done before.

http://www.amazon.com/MSD-Ignition-1...429296&sr=8-28

When I had mine, I had it mocked up right on the ash tray lid, but did NOT plug it in because of the controversy. One more feature I liked is at serves as modest "shift light" as well, at RPM you select.

Please jump in. I would be embarrassed if my Amazon buddy finds out before the Corvette Forum does!!!!!!

Thanks as always for your consideration.

Arthur
Old 03-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

The C5 uses a different protocal (KWP) than the C6 (CAN). The C6 uses a much faster computer (runs at 32Hz) vs the C5 (16Hz). OBD II is used to describe the connection to the cars operating system, it is the 16 pin connector under the steering wheel. HTH
Old 10-06-2012, 05:19 PM
David23Kipp
3rd Gear

Default KWP and CAN

HI.

KWP (Keyword Protocol) is a bidirectional Serial Communication on a Single line . This k line is called K line. Some times another there is another line also present called L line ; and it is for the purpose of wake up !

KWP 2000 Standard is compatible with CAN. These both came under the umbrella of OBD (on board diagnostics). So, if you say that i use OBD then it can be asked KWP or CAN ?

turnkey pcb

Last edited by David23Kipp; 06-23-2022 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 PM
justinn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by David23Kipp
HI.

KWP (Keyword Protocol) is a bidirectional Serial Communication on a Single line . This k line is called K line. Some times another there is another line also present called L line ; and it is for the purpose of wake up !

KWP 2000 Standard is compatible with CAN. These both came under the umbrella of OBD (on board diagnostics). So, if you say that i use OBD then it can be asked KWP or CAN ?

David
prototype pcb assembly

This is correct.... If I am not mistaken, all cars after 2007 were required to be CAN, and most manufacturers went to CAN a year or two earlier. A few manufacturers used both for a couple of years. 1996 marked the standardized OBD2 compliance requirement being one of a couple variants.

Typically, not only is the CAN Protocal much faster, it's also much more informative.

Justin

Get notified of new replies

To car uses OBDII or Controller Area Network (CAN)

Quick Reply: car uses OBDII or Controller Area Network (CAN)