C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Best Way To Get Into Tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 04:40 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Default Best Way To Get Into Tuning?

Hi,
I am a technician for a used Corvette dealership. My passion is performance and racing. I do a lot of installs on performance parts and I would like to get into tuning. I have no experience with tuning cars. I also learn best by doing, not lecture settings. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get into tuning and things I would need? Thanks, and I appreciate your help.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Billf6531
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to http://www.hptuners.com/forum/ and start reading. When you've finished, find a tuning problem that you can work on, research it on the forum, and try and fix the problem. Good luck. It's a fascinating hobby for me.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:31 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

^^^ I second that. That is how I got into it. Lots of reading, then doing. Learn a lot of how things work. Also nice to be able to go in and change your own tune and settings.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:15 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to the tuning school!
I had years of tuning experience on carb cars so I bought HPTuners and a tuning book. Read it from start to finish, visited the sites, but just couldn't get the data logging, etc., down well enough to make any progress
I attended the tuning school course and it literally made everything make sense.
Still MUCH to learn, but I'm on my way now
Old 03-31-2010, 09:17 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Deleted double post

Last edited by Blow Torch; 04-01-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:25 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man you are mechanic and already know fuel injection and engine works, get the EFilive or HP tuners and you will learn very quickly, i also attended AST school and did heavy diagnostics at AST college level, now doing EFIlive was a piece of cake, ofcourse after few days of practice and spend some time on EFIlive forum and HP forum.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Beer99C5

St. Jude Donor '08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can DL EFI Live free and open the tunes and work through the tutorials just to see if its something you will enjoy (you cannot save or tune with it, but you can see what is involved in tuning). If you feel comfortable after playing with the software a bit (at no cost), then spend the $$ with either EFI Live or HPT.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:07 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
Go to the tuning school!
I had years of tuning experience on carb cars so I bought HPTuners and a tuning book. Read it from start to finish, visited the sites, but just couldn't get the data logging, etc., down well enough to make any progress
I attended the tuning school course and it literally made everything make sense.
Still MUCH to learn, but I'm on my way now
thats what I did. I went to the basic and advanced tuning school.

Taught me by doing.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette
thats what I did. I went to the basic and advanced tuning school.

Taught me by doing.
Another vote here for the Tuning School.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:52 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 282 Likes on 259 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

As mentioned you can download a free demo program from EFILIVE and learn your way around the tables-- I personally researched the 3 major ones (HP--EFILIVE and LS1edit--do the same---What steered me into a decision was who i felt was the most helpful and offered the best support---And when starting out you'll get stuck sometimes trust me--Support was the key for me--Who do you feel comfortable talking to-who returns your calls--who is always availiable --and who listens and doesn't talk down to a newbie and makes you feel like an idiot-i chose EFILIVE and am 100% satisfied i made the rite decision--also i liked their screenshots and table descriptions better I didn't like Hp because the table names all seem too similar and the the same and it was easy to make a mistake and those < > symbols suck --they are too easy to get mixed up-- especially for a begineer--- I got mine from Jesse at Wait4me Performance --have tuned over 1000 cars/trcks

MY OPINION ONLY----

Get notified of new replies

To Best Way To Get Into Tuning?

Quick Reply: Best Way To Get Into Tuning?