C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Cam install questions.. please advise!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Marinevette1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam install questions.. please advise!!

My mechanic is installing an LG camkit with the whole works, LS6 pump and UD pulley. He doesn't normally do these kind of installs, but he's the only guy I trust to work on my car while away. I've known him my whole life he was my next door neighbor so I know he's not lying to me. He usually doesn't do internal work and was asking me to gather knowledge on the computer. I was under the impression that after the install I would just take it to a local tuner and have them tune the car on a dyno to make it drivable and get the performance gains from the car. He said that might be true but is concerned the stock computer won't be able to be adjusted for the timing curves or various other things I am not very knowledgable about. Can anyone assist with advice. I wouldn't need a new computer or anything like that would I?

For refrence it's a 1999 C5 convertible with a 6spd. Various bolt on mods to include LT's, Vararam and LS6 intake/ ported TB and many more. Low mileage (65k).
Old 04-29-2011, 12:11 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

You are just fine----God no --leave the computer alone---
If you are going to keep the MAF tune in it ---It will easily support up to 475-500 RWHP----Even if you go beyond that range---your tuner can install a Speed Density tune into your same ECM--ditching the MAF--that will support most any HP range
What are your cam specs ?? a larger cam may run poorly --have a hard time starting --surge and idle stangely without a tune
Also -- Were your LT headers already installed ? or are they a part of this project ? Same for the Throttle body ???
Having many mods all at once will overload your ECM and it will have a hard time starting/idling -- but will get somewhat better with some learning out--but it will never learn out completely -that's whay a tune is called for---You can drive it but DO NOT run it WOT or hard until you get it tuned !!!!!--also be careful as it may die or surge and the brakes will not have vacuum and not work right --You can't really hurt the engine
I wouldn't get just a "dyno tune" typically they just run it up to wide open and make adjustments there---If this is going to be driven on the street--I would get a street driven driveability tune by itself or in addition to the dyno tune
ALSO---when changing cams-- you should do a " crank position relearn procedure"---this can be done by your tuner--or by your mechanic if he has a TECH II
Old 05-03-2011, 02:56 AM
Marinevette1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
You are just fine----God no --leave the computer alone---
If you are going to keep the MAF tune in it ---It will easily support up to 475-500 RWHP----Even if you go beyond that range---your tuner can install a Speed Density tune into your same ECM--ditching the MAF--that will support most any HP range
What are your cam specs ?? a larger cam may run poorly --have a hard time starting --surge and idle stangely without a tune
Also -- Were your LT headers already installed ? or are they a part of this project ? Same for the Throttle body ???
Having many mods all at once will overload your ECM and it will have a hard time starting/idling -- but will get somewhat better with some learning out--but it will never learn out completely -that's whay a tune is called for---You can drive it but DO NOT run it WOT or hard until you get it tuned !!!!!--also be careful as it may die or surge and the brakes will not have vacuum and not work right --You can't really hurt the engine
I wouldn't get just a "dyno tune" typically they just run it up to wide open and make adjustments there---If this is going to be driven on the street--I would get a street driven driveability tune by itself or in addition to the dyno tune
ALSO---when changing cams-- you should do a " crank position relearn procedure"---this can be done by your tuner--or by your mechanic if he has a TECH II
The specs on the cam are: .600 - .610 and 114 LSA (LG wont give out the duration specs on this cam)

The Lt's and all the other bolt on were installed a year ago.

This project that I am currently installing includes the following: LG Cam kit w/ G5x3 cam, LS6 ported mainifold and ported throttle body and UD pulley.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam install questions.. please advise!!

Quick Reply: Cam install questions.. please advise!!