C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Head and Cam/or Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 03:37 AM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Head and Cam/or Supercharger?

Okay guys, I was pretty set on going with a supercharger system from A&A

but after reading post by several experienced road racers am starting to consider the head and cam route.

I have a vert that I put a heavy duty 6puck clutch and lightweight flywheel in preperation for moding up to a bit over 500 HP and Torque.

The car is a daily driver, but 5-6 times a year I want to get some road track time in via some time trials etc.

as per some good advice I'll take the nearly stock power out on the track a bit to "learn to drive", but within a month or two want to finish the intended engine mods.

I have researched SC's a good bit, but know very little about H/C's, so I have some basic questions.

first, I don't want to turn the car into a high maintenance cash suck.

If I go with just enough Cam and Heads (combined with LTHeaders , a LS6 intake manifold, and a good tune) to get me to somewhere between 500-525 Hp WITH A GOOD MIDRANGE REVS power band and torque, how will this effect overall daily reliability and maintenance....and also highway cruising speed gas mileage?

I'm not a mechanic (obviously lol), I do the basic stuff, but am not set up to set timing or tune or anything above my technical ignorance, so constantly adjust valve lift and replacing springs etc with my limited tech and tools has put me off of the Head and Cam direction in the past. Can you get a less agressive H/C setup that will be reletively low maintenance with high reliabilty that will get me a good midrange RPM power band in the hp and torque range I memtioned above when combine with a upgraded header IM and a good tune?

if so what are your recomendations?

I understand there are a lot of opinions and its very subjective, so here are the key points I am looking for if its even possible.

1. 500-525 HP and Torque with the power band being in midrange revs, ideally between 2500-5000 RPM

2. Overall daily driver reliability with less trips to the shop

3. decent gas mileage when not getting into the peddle on a daily commute.

Is this possible?

and if so, what do you guys recomend as the best setup?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by steven31371; 06-17-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 AM
SargeZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might get more response from the Forced Induction or Tech sections. This section is for tuning the PCM.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:17 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Real hard to get 500 ish rwhp with heads/cam on a stock displacement engine, and very expensive too! Probably wouldn't be street able either! S/C is the way to go for what you're looking for....
Old 07-24-2012, 01:02 AM
knightz06
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

build a stroker , 418 ls3
Old 07-24-2012, 01:55 AM
jd86L98
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Better start thinking about roll bar options. Check out Angels Wing Tech track day bar best dual purpose option I've seen for a convertible.

I love my head/cam vert and think its very well suited for the track. However, if I was to do it again I would go S/C. Mainly because unfortunately my car doesn't see the track. My car would kill it on the track however, I have not been able to find a roll bar that would work with the top and afford me a comfortable driving position at my height (6'1). I never thought I would need more than 500hp but now I wish I had at least 500rwhp, I am at 440rwhp. I will probably look at a nice 402setup some day.

Get notified of new replies

To Head and Cam/or Supercharger?

Quick Reply: Head and Cam/or Supercharger?