C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

NEW CAM Car runs for crap, can't tune it out with my Diablo....HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 PM
NTNFGRP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked the cam..its a m6 and the car gets dd and goes to the track 1 or 2 times a month. The car is running pretty good right now as montess has been a great help. But as I write this im warming up for a night drive to let the new tune settle in and see how she goes and check on the surging etc. I will update as they come. What software do you tune with? oh and no lt's for now..I perfer not to hear the drone while dd'n.

Last edited by NTNFGRP; 07-08-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Summer wolf
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers usually help with drone, all depends on your exhaust setup. With an X pipe and long tubes my car has less drone and more power.

The cam specs are interesting.... high duration, low lift and a high LSA.... a combo that is hardly ever chosen in most builds. I'd be curious to see a dyno chart, its hp and torque curve is probably unique.

I'd suggest talking to someone familiar with LSX cars like pred-Z or PatG on ls1tech, and also ditching the handheld for a real tuning system like hptuners. The handhelds are fine for basic bolt ons, but not for cammed cars.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:43 PM
NTNFGRP
Pro

So far all I can say is I don't know about other's but compared to what it ran like on stock with bolt on's compared to now is UNBELIEVABLE, start's coming strong by 2500, then again at 35 then again at 4 and next comes in like a hurricane is blowing my *** down the road...wont stop pulling till I let off. ..

Up till now no matter how hard I hit it and no matter how fast I was going there was never a adrenaline rush to come with it...NOW there is so is there more on the table YES!!! do I care not really at this time. I will dyno the car as is, and then go from there. This car will get boost in the near future at that point I will go stand alone or HP. Time will tell, but for now my car can woop a 600 bike so that's good enough considering how stock I still am.

Oh ya and my smog machine says it passes the sniffer test...
Old 07-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Summer wolf
Headers usually help with drone, all depends on your exhaust setup. With an X pipe and long tubes my car has less drone and more power.

The cam specs are interesting.... high duration, low lift and a high LSA.... a combo that is hardly ever chosen in most builds. I'd be curious to see a dyno chart, its hp and torque curve is probably unique.

I'd suggest talking to someone familiar with LSX cars like pred-Z or PatG on ls1tech, and also ditching the handheld for a real tuning system like hptuners. The handhelds are fine for basic bolt ons, but not for cammed cars.
Our handhelds support custom tuning. They are not limited as you are implying. We have customers with cam swaps, superchargers, strokers, all of the above....all tuned with our CMR software and one of our handhelds.
It allows for a super simple logging and remote tuning tool, like this case here.

Originally Posted by Boostin Nick
So far all I can say is I don't know about other's but compared to what it ran like on stock with bolt on's compared to now is UNBELIEVABLE, start's coming strong by 2500, then again at 35 then again at 4 and next comes in like a hurricane is blowing my *** down the road...wont stop pulling till I let off. ..

Up till now no matter how hard I hit it and no matter how fast I was going there was never a adrenaline rush to come with it...NOW there is so is there more on the table YES!!! do I care not really at this time. I will dyno the car as is, and then go from there. This car will get boost in the near future at that point I will go stand alone or HP. Time will tell, but for now my car can woop a 600 bike so that's good enough considering how stock I still am.

Oh ya and my smog machine says it passes the sniffer test...
Glad to hear this.
it looks like you and Lew have made some nice progress!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by tblu92
Diablo simply will NOT address all the tables you must change to accommodate either LT's or a cam---
May I ask how much experience you have with our CMR software that allows you to make such a statement?

I can understand if you were not aware, but you make it sound like some sort of intraweb fact (in CAPS no less).

Fact is, we have custom tuning software. We have tuned cams that make this look like a stocker.
We've got 1000+ rwhp vehicles tuned with our software. Any combo, you name it, it can be tuned with our software and one of our handhelds.

Please don't knock it just because you don't know it.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:24 AM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by boostin nick
so far all i can say is I don't know about other's but compared to what it ran like on stock with bolt on's compared to now is unbelievable, start's coming strong by 2500, then again at 35 then again at 4 and next comes in like a hurricane is blowing my *** down the road...wont stop pulling till i let off. ..

Up till now no matter how hard i hit it and no matter how fast i was going there was never a adrenaline rush to come with it...now there is So is there more on the table yes!!! Do i care not really at this time. I will dyno the car as is, and then go from there. This car will get boost in the near future at that point i will go stand alone or hp. Time will tell, but for now my car can woop a 600 bike so that's good enough considering how stock i still am. :d

oh ya and my smog machine says it passes the sniffer test...
nice!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, catch-can, ported/polished TB, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 07-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Summer wolf
Instructor

I know you can remote tune with the diablo. I also know the tuner can change quite a bit. It works, but I'd rather have someone with a laptop able to tune on the fly and in person.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Summer wolf
I know you can remote tune with the diablo. I also know the tuner can change quite a bit. It works, but I'd rather have someone with a laptop able to tune on the fly and in person.
I dont think you are following....

Lew is sitting in CT with a laptop.
Customer is wherever he may be, logging the car with his Predator.
he emails the logs to Lew, Lew tweaks the tune (on the laptop) and sends it back, rinse and repeat. its no different than someone using HPt or EFIlive other than the method of flashing the file to the car.

See what I'm saying?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:42 AM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

hahaha.. yeah, it's no different man.. whether you're there in person and they record data logs and adjust the tune, or you send me a data log and I update the tune and email you the file back to install... there's no difference...

same process haha.. just using different tools/software... diablo's CMR tuning software is like hptuners/efilive...

and for what it's worth, just because you're there in person, doesn't mean you're getting a better tune... a tune is only as good as the person using the software, and I've done better remote tunes for people than they've gotten done with in-person dyno tunes, heh....
Old 07-12-2013, 11:36 AM
NTNFGRP
Pro

Yes Mike it's coming along nicely, and I agree with the statements above, the tune is only as good as the tuner and the information the tuner has to use. In this case, the tuner is getting real life feed back from the the user. So naturally the tune is coming out great. If and when I go to HP, guess what, Lew will be helping me out with that too, as he does HP tunes as well. So yes I do like live tuning but my remote tunes are not in any way letting me down.

I will dyno this car when Lew and I are done, and then I will go to a guy that does HP (in the future) and let him do what he can, at that point both results will be posted. But honestly my AFR is spot on, were not pulling ANY timing due to knock, but my timing is up there, so I don't know how much more can really be left on the table. But only one way to find out, and so we shall.

From when this post was put up, till now..is literally a different car .....NOW i just need to get it to stop spinning thru 2nd..with trac ON..with 12in wide 20's on the rear
Old 07-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Yes Mike it's coming along nicely, and I agree with the statements above, the tune is only as good as the tuner and the information the tuner has to use. In this case, the tuner is getting real life feed back from the the user. So naturally the tune is coming out great. If and when I go to HP, guess what, Lew will be helping me out with that too, as he does HP tunes as well. So yes I do like live tuning but my remote tunes are not in any way letting me down.

I will dyno this car when Lew and I are done, and then I will go to a guy that does HP (in the future) and let him do what he can, at that point both results will be posted. But honestly my AFR is spot on, were not pulling ANY timing due to knock, but my timing is up there, so I don't know how much more can really be left on the table. But only one way to find out, and so we shall.

From when this post was put up, till now..is literally a different car .....NOW i just need to get it to stop spinning thru 2nd..with trac ON..with 12in wide 20's on the rear
Drag radial time!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:49 AM
NTNFGRP
Pro

One last thing to any new viewer's of this tread.

I put this up because I needed a little help, not to become a Handheld vs Laptop tread.

All that can be said is this is the best Fkin Forum EVER, I have gotten nothing but the best from anyone here, any help or question I have ever posted has gotten a real and honest answer, it has become to the point were it is simply invaluable.....literally I can't put a price on the help I've received.

So now that that has been said, remember I have a shop, I have almost any ASE-ICAR that I could possibly need, I operate one of the largest Shops in down here in Orange County and have tuned cars for years with stand alone's and laptops. But I tell you these boy's from the near east as apposed to middle or far east...LOL get it? can really get it done. And it has been a much more enjoyable experience for me then the pulling hair I'm use too.

Thank You CF for the good times...way better then the Damned Audi forums I use to be on...by a long shot.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:59 AM
NTNFGRP
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
Drag radial time!
I have sticky's for when I go road racing but dont want to burn them up for nothin' stupid things are expensive...I need a tire sponser...
Old 07-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

I have sticky's for when I go road racing but dont want to burn them up for nothin' stupid things are expensive...I need a tire sponser...
lol, me too
Old 07-12-2013, 01:55 PM
NTNFGRP
Pro

..well lets get to work on it
Old 07-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Summer wolf
Instructor

I understand how mail order tunes work.

Personally, I like knowing the guy, talking to him, and being able to ask some minor questions face to face. I don't know all the facets of diablos software, but I'm sure it adjusts almost everything like HPtuners.

It's all in who is doing the tuning though, 100%. There are hack jobs and there aren't.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:22 PM
NTNFGRP
Pro

UPDATE:

415+ on a fluidyne..455 on a dynojet...still stock exhaust manifolds.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:26 AM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Nice!!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Good job Lew!!

Thats a healthy cam setup

Quick Reply: NEW CAM Car runs for crap, can't tune it out with my Diablo....HELP!!