C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

quick question for idle control

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:03 PM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default quick question for idle control

When guys swap to auto like a glide or th400, how do they keep the idle good with dbw? I currently have a manual valve body 4l60 and it wants to die when I put it in gear. It's got me to the point of going to full auto.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:41 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by BuddhaZ06
When guys swap to auto like a glide or th400, how do they keep the idle good with dbw? I currently have a manual valve body 4l60 and it wants to die when I put it in gear. It's got me to the point of going to full auto.

Really need more info on your engine combination---

If you have a cam and an automatic usually a stock converter is not loose enough at idle---as you should set the idle above the stock 550--
If you have a stock cammed LS1 then it's a simple matter of tuning--and not with any handheld but with HP or EFILIVE--
LT headers is another issue as well---They most always create idle-surging and dying issues---
Remember a DBW t-body does not have an IAC (idle air control valve) so in order to compensate and raise the idle speed it has to be done by tuning with the throttle position and " desired airflow table"
A cammed engine would also require adding 2-4* of timing to the base timing table to help it stay running----Usually about 23-26* of timing at idle--
Old 03-17-2015, 08:06 AM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cam and bolt on ls6 with 4000 stall. Manual valve body
Old 03-18-2015, 02:17 PM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaZ06
Cam and bolt on ls6 with 4000 stall. Manual valve body
As noted by tblu92 you most likely need to increase idle speed and airflow values. Idle speed is by coolant temp and p/n or in gear so you can idle a bit faster when engine is "pushing" the converter in gear and can also run a bit faster when started in cold conditions.

Besides sides temp and gear status, airflow also can be adjusted for A/C compressor on or off.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:50 AM
professorjim
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
Really need more info on your engine combination---

If you have a cam and an automatic usually a stock converter is not loose enough at idle---as you should set the idle above the stock 550--
If you have a stock cammed LS1 then it's a simple matter of tuning--and not with any handheld but with HP or EFILIVE--
LT headers is another issue as well---They most always create idle-surging and dying issues---
Remember a DBW t-body does not have an IAC (idle air control valve) so in order to compensate and raise the idle speed it has to be done by tuning with the throttle position and " desired airflow table"
A cammed engine would also require adding 2-4* of timing to the base timing table to help it stay running----Usually about 23-26* of timing at idle--

This is my first experience with Drive By Wire throttle body so please advise what are/is an HP or an EFILIVE?
Can I override the TPS position in some manner to increase the target idle?
It is really frustrating to have the motor constantly dying, dangerous too as it happened in middle of intersection.
Thanks,
professor jim
Old 07-18-2016, 08:28 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Typically with a trans only swap and idle/dying issues you need yo
1 Increase the idle speed Stock is like 550 RPM --increase to 625
2 Increase the "desired airflow tables" This is available for both in gear and P/N
3 also if these don't fix it---Go to the "throttle follower tables" again avail for both in gear and P/N By DECREASING these tables you will fix dying----Try by subtracting like 20% to where you have the problem IG or P/N ---If you go too far you will get the reverse affect and get a hanging idle--Then simply back off somewhat from the last change
Old 07-18-2016, 09:22 PM
professorjim
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
Typically with a trans only swap and idle/dying issues you need yo
1 Increase the idle speed Stock is like 550 RPM --increase to 625
2 Increase the "desired airflow tables" This is available for both in gear and P/N
3 also if these don't fix it---Go to the "throttle follower tables" again avail for both in gear and P/N By DECREASING these tables you will fix dying----Try by subtracting like 20% to where you have the problem IG or P/N ---If you go too far you will get the reverse affect and get a hanging idle--Then simply back off somewhat from the last change
Thank you tblu92. Exactly the kind of response I needed. Next question is what tool do I use to do that? Will the Standard HPTuners model be sufficent? Or is there a better (easier) way? Can the dealer reset these for me?
Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2016, 01:21 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by professorjim
Thank you tblu92. Exactly the kind of response I needed. Next question is what tool do I use to do that? Will the Standard HPTuners model be sufficent? Or is there a better (easier) way? Can the dealer reset these for me?
Thanks again!
Yes either HP or EFILIVE ----The table names I used are EFILIVE descriptions of the tables---HP has the same exact tables but may identify them with other words but they are generally all the same
The following users liked this post:
professorjim (07-21-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To quick question for idle control

Quick Reply: quick question for idle control