C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

What to buy??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 08:51 PM
scool93535
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy??

I'm starting with a 97 C5 coupe, MN6 with the Bpp Vortex, Power duct, G-MAF and, flow master mufflers, (they were free).

Near future mods include Corsa X-pipe and Borla Stingers. Longer range, after beefing up the basic suspension, Bilstein shocks, Z06 or Hotchkis anti-roll bars and, a higher rate front spring, headers, H & C and, Z06 manifold with a ported throttle body.

I'm trying to decide if I want LS1 Edit or, the AutoTap. If I understand what I'm reading, AutoTap is more of a monitoring / logging package with some editing capibility whereas, LS1 Edit has full editing capibility. I know I probably don't need an LS1 Edit for what I have right now but, the motor has a rough spot between about 1000 and 2000 rpm with no load.

The plugs, (Bosch Platinum +4 and new GM Performance wires have about 5000 miles on them. The motor has a little over 81k miles on it. The hot idle is a little rough but, I think I can attribute that to not having the screen in the intake because of the GMAF. Beyond 2 grand the motor pulls real strong, 385hp Z06 strong. At the track the other night with a friend with a Z06, who ever got the jump won.

Any ideas on the miss? Which tool, LS1 Edit or AutoTap would be most useful?

Old 09-13-2002, 11:10 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: What to buy?? (scool93535)

you're probably running a little lean. but the only way to know for sure is to check it with AutoTap or EFILive.

AutoTap is just monitoring software, although you can do some changes with it, they are temporary, when you disconnect Atap the changes are gone. you need LS1 edit to tune the PCM, and you will still need AutoTap to see if your modifications are working.
EFILive is another software used for monitoring and it will also do some changes. but just like Atap, they are temporary. :cheers:

Oh, and you may want to get rid of the bosch +4's, I actually LOST power with them!
go with NGK TR 55's and save yourself some money on the "gimmick" spark plugs. :lol:

[Modified by RPOZ4Z, 10:15 PM 9/13/2002]
Old 09-15-2002, 11:51 PM
scool93535
Drifting

Default Re: What to buy?? (RPOZ4Z)

Thanks for the info. Lost power with the Bosch +4's huh. I'll look into the NGK's. :yesnod:
Old 09-17-2002, 03:38 PM
CDHough
Racer

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: What to buy?? (scool93535)

I would also check out the threads on the Predator. It is a new handheld device that allows you to scan (like AutoTap) and reload the PCM(like the Hypertech or Superchips).

- Charley

[Modified by CDHough, 1:38 PM 9/17/2002]

[Modified by CDHough, 1:39 PM 9/17/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To What to buy??

Quick Reply: What to buy??