C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

LS1Edit Post-Read/Write DIC Codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 08:47 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS1Edit Post-Read/Write DIC Codes

Seeing a P1518 code after read / write. Easily cleared via DIC commands, so why is disconnecting the battery listed as the way to handle it?
Old 09-15-2002, 08:54 PM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: LS1Edit Post-Read/Write DIC Codes (TooManyIDs)

Here is Ken's standard reply:

1) When we read or write to the PCM, we must stop normal operation, after the read, we must reboot the PCM, so it is reset, and the Ltrims start over.

2) The corvette does have communications problems on reset. There are many processors on the Bus, and when we restart the PCM, they don't always manage to resync. It seems to happen about 20% of the time. Pulling the battery cable for 30 seconds will end up rebooting all the processors, and result in resync.

Ken
If you routinely end up in a state that you can't handle through the DIC, you might look into isolating the rest of the network from the PCM while programming. There's a special tool as well as some home grown solutions out there. Keep in mind that many (most?) LS1-Edit users don't have DICs.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:24 PM
Godspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Seeing a P1518 code after read / write
FYI 1518 is a loss of communications between the PCM and the TAC.

Old 09-15-2002, 10:57 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: LS1Edit Post-Read/Write DIC Codes (Godspeed)

...1518 is a loss of communications between the PCM and the TAC.
Yes, looked it up and understand it is due to the PCM reset. My question was really why disconnect the battery, when we can simply use DIC commands to do the same thing.

ToplessTexan basically answered it by saying that not all LS1Edit users have that choice.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:25 PM
66ImpalaLT1
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

One time during programming my guage cluster got confused and wouldnt respond to any of the buttons, it also wouldnt light up when the headlights were on. I had no other choice but to pull the battery cable. Everything was fine after that.

Every other time I have programmed I only had to reset 1518 with the dic.

Eric
Old 09-16-2002, 12:05 AM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: LS1Edit Post-Read/Write DIC Codes (66ImpalaLT1)

I think we're okay as long as you don't loose comm between IPC and PCM. I've only had that happen once, and that was w/ an HPP3.

[Modified by ToplessTexan, 10:08 PM 9/15/2002]
Old 09-16-2002, 06:55 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

I just clear it through the DIC. I have had my cluster go completely dead 3 times out of maybe 20 programs. Naturally the battery has to be disconnected for that. I have noticed since I program with the doors closed now I havent lost the cluster/radio/dcms etc after programming. Whether that really has anything to do with it I dont know, with the doors open all kind of weird things would happen while programming. I have no proof of this though and I am not going to spend the time to find out for sure :) Still get the P1518 but thats easy enough to get rid of with the DIC..
Old 09-16-2002, 10:34 PM
akw408
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: LS1Edit Post-Read/Write DIC Codes (kp)

I just clear it through the DIC. I have had my cluster go completely dead 3 times out of maybe 20 programs. Naturally the battery has to be disconnected for that. I have noticed since I program with the doors closed now I havent lost the cluster/radio/dcms etc after programming. Whether that really has anything to do with it I dont know, with the doors open all kind of weird things would happen while programming. I have no proof of this though and I am not going to spend the time to find out for sure :) Still get the P1518 but thats easy enough to get rid of with the DIC..
I've had the same experience. But instead of pulling the battery, I just use LS1 Edit and read the PCM and it usually does the trick. It's always good to read the PCM after you program it anyway to make sure your changes got made correctly.

Old 10-07-2002, 06:24 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Seeing a P1518 code after read / write. Easily cleared via DIC commands, so why is disconnecting the battery listed as the way to handle it?
I get this code (along with a radio code) every time when programming. This code should be reset with the DIC. I don't even think that pulling the BATT voltage will clear this code from history. You only have to pull the battery if your systems get out of sync and you lose gauges or another system.

FWIW, When programming I now clear all displays from the DIC (DIC is dark). Since doing this I have never needed to pull my BATT voltage. You should also close all doors and turn off all accessories.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:32 PM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: LS1Edit Post-Read/Write DIC Codes (rbartick)

I get this code (along with a radio code) every time when programming. This code should be reset with the DIC.
Cars w/o a DIC won't get this code.

Get notified of new replies

To LS1Edit Post-Read/Write DIC Codes

Quick Reply: LS1Edit Post-Read/Write DIC Codes