C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Tuned an ECS equipped Z06 today. Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:56 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Default Tuned an ECS equipped Z06 today. Questions

So this was prev tuned with the stock pulley and the new owner changed to a smaller one.

Engine is stock except for headers and better valve springs. Stock MAF etc.

I installed a wideband, upped the rev limit set the timing to 10 degrees and took it for a drive. I wanted to see if it would peg the MAF. It did.
Fuel was dead rich. Low 10's.

Put it it on the dyno today. Moved the timing back to as delivered.....14 degrees.

Made a pull and it was so fat it wouldn't pull past 5500.

Retuned the PE to 11.4 commanded and began working the MAF curve to get the fuel in line.
All said and done it picked up over 100 hp.

Converting our dyno to typical Dyno Jet numbers it made 535. At 10 psi.

It liked timing, but quit making power past 16 degrees.

So, normal or not?

Ron

Last edited by RonSSNova; 07-20-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:15 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

A follow up. 3.47 pulley, no restrictor. Was supposed to make 13psi, it makes 10.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:43 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Regardless of the boost the wideband should tell you if it is lean or rich at WOT yes at higher boost you should command less timing----
The PE fueling is meaningless as a direct AFR actual ratio---It is what the wideband says what is important----Sometimes you will need to ask for or command a 12.1 AFR in order to achieve a wideband verified AFR on boost of around 10.1--Trial and error process
As far as timing goes again it is about commanded timing VS actual timing---
The timing deducts for IAT/ECT temps all have to be taken into consideration As well as the amount of knock retard you are getting----And then determining if the KR is in deed real knock OR false knock-----If it is false knock this can be cleaned up with proper tuning of the KR tables---It is far easier to tune an engine on timing IF you have No false knock where the commanded timing will match the actual timing
Old 07-21-2017, 09:39 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Commanded is 11.5:1.
Actual via the wideband is spot on throughout the range.
IAT hits 120 degrees That removes 1 degree. I set the IAT table up.
I saw 1.5 degrees of knock retard on one pull.
I verified that the knock sensors sensitivity settings haven't been messed with. They are stock.

My customer thinks it should make more power.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:23 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
So this was prev tuned with the stock pulley and the new owner changed to a smaller one.

Engine is stock except for headers and better valve springs. Stock MAF etc.

I installed a wideband, upped the rev limit set the timing to 10 degrees and took it for a drive. I wanted to see if it would peg the MAF. It did.
Fuel was dead rich. Low 10's.

Put it it on the dyno today. Moved the timing back to as delivered.....14 degrees.

Made a pull and it was so fat it wouldn't pull past 5500.

Retuned the PE to 11.4 commanded and began working the MAF curve to get the fuel in line.
All said and done it picked up over 100 hp.

Converting our dyno to typical Dyno Jet numbers it made 535. At 10 psi.

It liked timing, but quit making power past 16 degrees.

So, normal or not?

Ron

Sounds good Ron, you are doing it correctly. DO NOT take advice from the above poster, he really needs to stop giving tuning advice.

The only time you would want to make the PE table to whatever the car wants is once you have maxed out the MAF table, then you have to do what we call "raping the PE table". Continue to tune as you did by dialing in the MAF correctly to achieve your commanded A/F ratio. Do not command 12:1 to get 10:1 or anything of that sort.

If it's only maxed out a little then it's not so bad, but if it maxes out very early (higher boosted car) then you are better off going to a 2 bar closed loop speed density tune to properly fuel the higher RPM's.

Also I personally do not go over 14* of timing at tq peak, but I tune rather conservative for longevity.

Good luck with it!
Old 07-21-2017, 11:09 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Thanks Doug. I'm right at 14 at peak TQ.
I gave it a bit more at peak power, but it quit gaining.
It's barely using up the MAF, it's maintaining fueling fine though.

I agree that any more boost then it's a 2bar SD tune. I've done lots of those with the turbo stuff I tune.

Appreciate your chiming in!

Ron
Old 07-24-2017, 01:54 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Commanded is 11.5:1.
Actual via the wideband is spot on throughout the range.
IAT hits 120 degrees That removes 1 degree. I set the IAT table up.
I saw 1.5 degrees of knock retard on one pull.
I verified that the knock sensors sensitivity settings haven't been messed with. They are stock.

My customer thinks it should make more power.
Ron you are spot on with this tuning-----The AFR's are in line--the timing is spot on all taking into consideration the KR and the timing deducts due to high IAT and ECT temps----all look NORMAL
IF this guy has LOWER HP than expected---IT is NOT a result of the tune but points directly to other issues---- Worn out engine--poor compression worn or old valve springs--------
PS It is hell bring a tuner---as we get all the blame forever once we've tuned an engine--no matter how poorly the owner has maintained his engine or how worn out it has become due to age or abuse------We are tuners--and NOT magicians nor are we responsible for poor maintenance or internal engine failures----people expect tuning to be magic----It is simply a tool to correct AFR ratios at WOT and to dial in the best timing again at WOT----Once we've done that our job is done----and if an owner id disappointed with the results then too bad-- meaning that he has a horrible combination and needs to address his poor choices on parts and mods as obviously they were poor choices------
Old 07-28-2017, 09:21 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

My friend was quite happy with the tune. He whomped on his 500whp Evo buddy which was his goal.
He just thought it would make more.

FWIW, he used to own a dyno shop. Sharp guy. He races a high 7 second Supra. So his butt dyno, like mine, is calibrated to a much different level.

Get notified of new replies

To Tuned an ECS equipped Z06 today. Questions

Quick Reply: Tuned an ECS equipped Z06 today. Questions