C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

New to tunes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtClassShank
Can 10-15RWHP really be expected on an essentially stock C5Z? Corsa X-pipe and extreme catback is about the only modification. Dual cone intake can't be doing much.
With a custom tune, yes that is a reasonable expectation but there really is no gaurantee as every car is different.

A couple of things to keep in mind.

For you to be able to actually feel an increase in power in a car, it needs to be at least a 10% increase in power. 10 -15 RWHP on a 350 Hp car usually can't be felt. Corvettes are a lot lighter than most cars so that threshold % is probably closer to 5%.

Also, on a stock car, it is possible that the factory tune just by coincidence is already "dialed in" so a custom tune may not do much in the way of power.

Stock cars usually benefit more in the areas of driveability, increased MPG, and features. (As an example, I had a custom tune in a Saturn Sky Redline that I could change the tune on the fly. TCS on and it was factory, TCS off and it had more boost and was wild).

Where a custom tune really benefits a car is when you have added aftermarket bolts especially longtube headers, high flowing exhaust, intake manifold, CAI intake, bigger cam, better heads, etc. All of these things especially when matched together can radically change the airflow through the engine and a custom tune will be tailored to those exact modifications to extract the most power and efficiency from them.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Lexybird
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

When I added a ls6 intake to my ls1 I immediately felt a power gain and those are known for only being 10-15 hp . The intune was worthless in my experience . I can say that without reservation . In all fairness The truth is Some people notice gains more than others . You could add or lose 50 hp and some Guys who never drove their car much would be none the wiser on it .it begs the question if you can't actually feel the performance gain is the mod even worth doing ? I'd rather have my 400$ back if it didn't do anything

Last edited by Lexybird; 10-11-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:24 PM
C5 Newb
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, thanks everyone for the feedback. A wealth of info here for me!

Quick Reply: New to tunes...