C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Climate control interface reverse engineering

Old 12-14-2017, 03:06 PM
T5Mika
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Climate control interface reverse engineering

Has the dual zone A/C control module interface been reverse engineered? I could not find anything with quick googling.

I am starting to think of a windows carputer to replace the tape deck, and to run VCM scanner whenever I need without a laptop. It would be great to be able to change the A/C panel with a virtual version at the same time. I can write the software, but I'd need to buy or build an interface board first. Interfacing to the UI side with relays and ADCs and DACs would be the brute force method, but kind of stupid, like building a robot to push buttons.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:25 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I've wanted to do this too on an android unit, getting rid of the ugly hvac ans head unit with a large vertical android touch screen like in a tesla would be sick.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:03 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Its been a few years.. Anyone?.. I can program as well but don't know much on the hardware side but would love to learn to build. Something like this.. If i could have some. Kind of interface to work with and test with then emulate the input and output signals on the same wiring...

​​​​​​
Old 05-10-2022, 12:37 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

I'd start by investigating the hardware - does the dual-zone unit control the air duct valves / heater core directly, or does it send messages to something that does? If the latter, then try to figure out what those messages are. If the former, the look at how it controls the fan and ducts, and try to figure how easy/hard it would be to do the same thing with an Arduino or something similar.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:05 PM
C5MSG2004Vert
Drifting

Received 378 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by NSFW
I'd start by investigating the hardware - does the dual-zone unit control the air duct valves / heater core directly, or does it send messages to something that does? If the latter, then try to figure out what those messages are. If the former, the look at how it controls the fan and ducts, and try to figure how easy/hard it would be to do the same thing with an Arduino or something similar.
The HVAC controller interfaces directly with the vacuum control solenoids, sun sensors, blower motor and temperature actuators. The PCM controls the compressor turn on (data bus cmd?) and it monitors Engine coolant temp and AC pressures. There may be a few other things that I missed. So it looks like an Arduino with some supporting circuitry could easily control the HVAC.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:57 PM
Robert m
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C5MSG2004Vert
The HVAC controller interfaces directly with the vacuum control solenoids, sun sensors, blower motor and temperature actuators. The PCM controls the compressor turn on (data bus cmd?) and it monitors Engine coolant temp and AC pressures. There may be a few other things that I missed. So it looks like an Arduino with some supporting circuitry could easily control the HVAC.
if any wiring diagrams or schematics/info is needed feel free to contact me. I have full access to such material as well as usually havr access to pinouts and values charts. I would love to dispose of the hvac head in my c5 also!

Get notified of new replies

To Climate control interface reverse engineering

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Climate control interface reverse engineering