C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Help with getting smogged

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 01:40 PM
YellowVetteBob
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with getting smogged

I bought my vette 6 months ago and have been working on minor repairs. Those are all done now and all I need to do is get the car smogged. However, I can't get the car ready so it will pass smog. The C5 has a Billy Boat exhaust on it which is causing the problem. I have replaced all 4 of the O2 sensors on it and I can read in the live data that the upstream sensors fluctuate between 0.1 and 0.9v as they should. The downstream sensors are steady at 0.45v as they should. However, I keep getting codes P0140 and P0160 which are Not Receiving Data from Sensor codes.

I have a Diablo Predator tuner and can turn off the P0140 and the P0160 codes from there. However, if I do that then the CAT and the HTR never show as ready to be tested so I can't take it to be smogged.

Not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions (other than move to a county that doesn't require smog testing)?
Old 06-07-2018, 03:44 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowVetteBob
I bought my vette 6 months ago and have been working on minor repairs. Those are all done now and all I need to do is get the car smogged. However, I can't get the car ready so it will pass smog. The C5 has a Billy Boat exhaust on it which is causing the problem. I have replaced all 4 of the O2 sensors on it and I can read in the live data that the upstream sensors fluctuate between 0.1 and 0.9v as they should. The downstream sensors are steady at 0.45v as they should. However, I keep getting codes P0140 and P0160 which are Not Receiving Data from Sensor codes.

I have a Diablo Predator tuner and can turn off the P0140 and the P0160 codes from there. However, if I do that then the CAT and the HTR never show as ready to be tested so I can't take it to be smogged.

Not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions (other than move to a county that doesn't require smog testing)?
Don't remember if the diablo predator can do everything you need to do here. Read this thread.. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-i-m-okay.html
Old 06-09-2018, 10:54 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

are you being tested from the tailpipe or the obd2 port?... if it's just from the obd2 port then find someone with hptuners/efi live/etc and turn the o2 codes off... on hptuners you will uncheck the ses enable box and then set the error mode to (3) no error reported and the readiness monitors should immediately set to "ready" status
Old 06-11-2018, 02:18 PM
YellowVetteBob
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
are you being tested from the tailpipe or the obd2 port?... if it's just from the obd2 port then find someone with hptuners/efi live/etc and turn the o2 codes off... on hptuners you will uncheck the ses enable box and then set the error mode to (3) no error reported and the readiness monitors should immediately set to "ready" status
It is just from the OBD2 port.

I can turn off the codes with the Diablo but it still doesn't show ready. Does the HP Tuner bypass this issue?

How do I find someone who can tune the car? Doing a quick search in the Sacramento area I can't find anyone on www.hptuner.com. And it looks like it would cost me $500+ for the HP Tuner hardware and software (plus I don't know what I am doing using the software).
Old 06-11-2018, 03:13 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

You need HP or EFILIVE software to correct this
You need to set all the codes that have anything to do with emmisions to read "not reported and all the MIL's to read "no mill"
This will set ALL the monitors to READY instantly
Typically you need to set all of these codes
1 Any codes concerning ALL 02's
2 All MAF Codes
3 All EVAP and fuel tank level /pressure codes
4 all EGR codes (if you have one)
5 All air injection codes ( secondary air)
6 All Misfire codes
This will set all the " rediness monitors to ready--- However depending on where you live there are "VISUAL" things the smog police look at You MUST have all the Emisiion devices installed and LT headers are also just Illegal However some states overlook them Here in Calif where we have the strictest of smog laws LT's will fail period regardless of your manitors
Old 06-11-2018, 08:32 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

yes hptuners will instantly set the monitors to "ready" status if you follow the procedure that tblu92 and I posted... maybe check the regional section and ask for shop recommendations or someone who has hptuners locally that can do it for you... I would expect an individual to charge at least $100 to do that since that's how much the credits will cost to make changes to your tune with hptuners, a shop might do it for less since they usually have unlimited credits and it will take 5 mins to do it
Old 06-18-2018, 11:57 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowVetteBob

thats really weird cause i too now have installed bb bullets and it cause all the emmisions to reset. I drove it for 2 hours but then did a cold start and drive the next day. Finally cleared up.

Really odd why it did it, prior to the install i had straight pipe.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with getting smogged

Quick Reply: Help with getting smogged