C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 12:39 AM
Joseph Widerynski
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure gauge

I have a 2004 Z06 with 95,000 miles. The car has been very dependable. I service it regularly. Recently while driving the oil pressure has dropped to zero, a ringing noise was made and the speedometer lights up red. Within moments the pressure zooms up to five and stays that way for a while. The engine is not making any loud noises nor is the temperature gauge going up. I have had the oil pressure sensor repaired twice but the issue continues. Change the oil regularly. Obviously I am concerned. Don't want it to blow.
Any suggestions or similar experiences.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:24 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 282 Likes on 259 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

There is a bulit in low oil pressure warning system On your car if it drops below approx 7 PSI at idle you will get warning light messages----
I have seen oil pressure on high milage cars that drop to like 15-20 PSI but never as low as the pressures you seem to have---
Have your engine ever been apart for like a cam change or some internal mods? It is common that the oil pump seal will get pinched when re installing the oil pump causing low oil pressure
If your engine has never been apart--I would do this
Have a mechanic configure a separate oil pressure gauge and use it to read the oil pressure- directly somewhere on the engine -This would bypass the oil gauge reading --- See what the real oil pressure is then -- This will save you lots of $$$ before looking deeper into another problem--
ALSO what oil filter are you using ????? The GM A/C delco filter uses a "bypass" valve--Make sure if you are using another brand of filter that it has the same bypass valve

Quick Reply: oil pressure gauge