C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Predator-Any MN6 Comments Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 01:36 PM
123Gone
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Predator-Any MN6 Comments Yet?

Anyone install the base program in a MN6 yet? Any comments about it?
Old 10-31-2002, 04:16 PM
c5chris
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Predator-Any MN6 Comments Yet? (123Gone)

Hopefully today as mine arrives, thanks to UPS' superb speed and delivering skills. :lol:
Old 11-01-2002, 03:43 AM
c5chris
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Predator-Any MN6 Comments Yet? (c5chris)

My Predator came in and I did not get into it as I had some candy rounds to do as today is Halloween. At bedtime, I could not sleep coz that orange box is just waiting for it to be opened. Heck at 11 pm couldnt stand it, I was in the garage. I backed up the stock flash and downloaded the mod program. I also changed fan settings to the following: Fan1 0n:200 Off:195 Fan two: On:185 Off:180 ( I have a 180 Tstat) Then im off to the street. The car pulls like crazy! The car idles a little bit higher and it does not bog down off the line.

James: What does the Mod program include?? I know it had straightened up my off the wall settings since modifications had been done to the car. I had not diagnosed the car yet with the OBDII feature so it could had not found the faults in my car. I dont know what you guys put in this programming, but by GOD, IT WORKS!!!

Tomorrow I will check out its vitals and see how my A/F ratio is and all other necessary info. I'll keep you guys posted.

[Modified by c5chris, 6:45 AM 11/1/2002]
Old 11-01-2002, 12:52 PM
c5chris
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Predator-Any MN6 Comments Yet? (rbartick)

Thanks rbartick. I look up to you when it comes to these things. What would be a good setting for a 180 Tstat

[Modified by c5chris, 8:56 AM 11/1/2002]
Old 11-01-2002, 03:13 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

>>What would be a good setting for a 180 Tstat

I try to be helpful and sometimes I am told that I come across as rude, abrupt, or a "know-it-all". Sometimes it very difficult to post this info quickly without sounding like a smart-azz. I will try to respond respectfully.....

I really cannot give you any exact numbers because there is no “correct answer”. It depends on your Tstat, your cooling system efficiency, and what you personally want the car to run at. I can state my opinion but realize that this is just my opinion and others may disagree. I would do the following:

Cruise the car on the highway in 6th gear at 60 MPH on a very cool night and watch the coolant temps in your DIC. I would probably put the car on cruise control. Give the temps more than enough time to settle down to the Tstat closing temp. This may take anywhere from 10-20 minutes if the car is hot enough. Record the lowest temps you see. Keep in mind that the fans are fairly useless when cruising on the highway at 60 MPH and they should be off.

I personally feel that all fans (both low & high speed) should be off at least 4-8 degrees above the lowest temp you get on the highway. For example according to my DIC the “180” degree Tstat that I have allows my coolant temps to drop to about 172 degrees on the highway and every once in a while my temps may dip down to 169 for a few minutes and then come back up. I would prefer to not have my car dip down to 169, but I can live with it. I consider my Tstat to be a “172” degree unit. On my car all fans are off when the DIC indicates 176 degrees.

I am not sure that I remember my exact settings right now (I would have to check my car) but I think I did something like this:

Low Speed On : 179
Low Speed Off : 176

High Speed On: 182
High Speed Off : 180

This keeps my coolant at about 180 and my oil at about 185-190 in traffic and when I line up in the staging lanes. This is right where I want it. My settings increase the fan duty cycle quite a bit and I am more than willing to accept the fact that the fans and the 3 fan relays are going to be subjected to more stress. Others may not be willing to cycle the fans as much as I am.

You should check to make sure that Predator fan1 really is low speed and Predator fan2 really is high speed. It probably is because the COOLFAN1 relay powers the low-speed circuit. When the PCM wants high-speed fans the COOLFAN1, COOLFAN2, & COOLFAN2 relays are energized. See the diagrams below. LS1Edit calls the low-speed fans FAN1, and the high-speed fans are FAN2. The PCM is not designed to run just one fan at a time. You get either both in low-speed mode (Series circuit), or both in high-speed mode (Parallel circuit). COOLFAN3 determines if the circuit is series or parallel.

To check to see what the Predator is doing with the fans pop the hood and watch the passenger side fan with a bright drop light. You will not be able to hear it come on low-speed because the low-speed fans are very quiet. The high-speed fans are obvious because they are loud. Let the car idle and watch under the hood to see if the Predator is turning on the low or high-speed fans first based on your current setup. With your current setup I am sure that you will not see the low-speeds come on at all since it looks like your high-speeds are set to come on first.

Another note, the temps I set in LS1Edit do not match the temps I see in my DIC. I had to experiment with the temps I entered in LS1Edit to get the fans to come on & off at specific DIC temps. I am not sure if the same thing will happen with the Predator. If you want to take the low-speed fans out of the loop and just experiment with high-speed operation just temporarily pull the fuse for COOLFAN1. Pulling this fuse disables the left side fan circuit and the entire low-speed series fan circuit. When the coolant gets hot enough for high-speed fans you will hear the right side fan come on in high-speed.

Old 11-01-2002, 03:24 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

I also changed fan settings to the following: Fan1 0n:200 Off:195 Fan two: On:185 Off:180 ( I have a 180 Tstat)
I mistakenly deleted my other post. My other post said that these settings sound backwards since you are probably running your high-speed fans at lower temps than your low-speed fans.

The low-speed fans should be set lower than the high-speed fans and the the low-speed turn on should be one degree lower than the high speed turn-off.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:07 PM
c5chris
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Predator-Any MN6 Comments Yet? (rbartick)

Thank you. Im gonna play with my Predator now. :cheers:
Old 11-01-2002, 09:19 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you. Im gonna play with my Predator now.
If you keep doing that you will go blind :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 11-02-2002, 06:12 PM
Barely Legal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Predator-Any MN6 Comments Yet? (GaryZ06)

It did nothing for my car so I sent it back.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:41 PM
c5chris
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Predator-Any MN6 Comments Yet? (GaryZ06)

Thank you. Im gonna play with my Predator now.
If you keep doing that you will go blind :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek:
:lol: good one!

The more I play with it, the more me like it :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Predator-Any MN6 Comments Yet?

Quick Reply: Predator-Any MN6 Comments Yet?