C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Tuning AA supercharger.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 09:59 PM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

Received 183 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Tuning AA supercharger.

Installed a aa kit on my c5 l. Upgraded to a 243 head were the other changes. Starting with a provided base tune from where I bought the kit. Fires up runs good. However I was told this will need some fine adjustments done. I am looking for some know how on to do this. Never tuned a car. I will hook up my boost and aem x. Looking for some list of parameters to look at for boosted setups similar to mine. 3.8 pulley. Maybe some one could offer a guide/video/material. Just to write calibration if needed.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:30 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Thers is no way someone without proper tuning experience can tune a bossted engine---You risk blowing up your engine--Boosted engines are extreme and if you don't have experince you can do engine damage-
It is well worth the $$$ to make sure at full power or WOT your engine is not LEAN yeah you can buy tuning software from HP for $750 but then what do you do next ? Only an experienced tuner can properly tune in your fuel and timing- The data logger is the main device in tuning and using the data logger takes years and years of experience in knowing how to interpret the data Go to an experienced tuner My best advice
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (05-11-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 11:20 AM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

Will see need to do research.

Last edited by Speedy007; 05-09-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:00 PM
Mojointn
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I recently purchased an a&a kit. Unfortunately I haven't had time to install due to unforseen circumstances. I will be taking mine to a professional tuner even though I hate anyone but me working on my car. I agree with tblu92 one mistake and your buying a new engine. I'm wondering how good your base tune is. Where did you get your base tune and what year is your c5? I'm assuming if your cars a/f ratio doesn't lean out thru redline you should be good. Dyno tuning might get you 2-5% gain. If you set on doing you own tuning you should check out thetuningschool. I'm actually considering the course myself. I would love to learn how to tune. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Originally Posted by Speedy007
Will see need to do research.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (05-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

I’m getting the car tuned right this minute. So far I’ve noticed a big difference with a 2 bar map tune over the 1 bar base. Which is good for a 1 bar base. The 2 bar tune is really unleashing the beast. I dunno about the 2-5% thing. All I know is after tuning which is still ongoing the car has picked up way more than 2-5% so far I expecting a better result with the new injector flow data. I could see 2-5% over if the car wasn’t tuned to it’s best and needed to be gone through. Let ya guys know after a few more tunes.

Last edited by Speedy007; 06-13-2019 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:21 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I’m getting the car tuned right this minute. So far I’ve noticed a big difference with a 2 bar map tune over the 1 bar base. Which is good for a 1 bar base. The 2 bar tune is really unleashing the beast. I dunno about the 2-5% thing. All I know is after tuning which is still ongoing the car has picked up way more than 2-5% so far I expecting a better result with the new injector flow data. I could see 2-5% over if the car wasn’t tuned to it’s best and needed to be gone through. Let ya guys know after a few more tunes.
Do you have a new cam in addition to the 243 heads? What did u make on the dyno? I had a dyno tune this past Friday and I am waiting for the dyno sheet via email...it was getting late and he had a printer issue...
Old 06-16-2019, 05:03 PM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tabbruzz
Do you have a new cam in addition to the 243 heads? What did u make on the dyno? I had a dyno tune this past Friday and I am waiting for the dyno sheet via email...it was getting late and he had a printer issue...
I didn’t pursue my cam swap upon rebuilding ya I got new gm 243 performance heads. I believe it’s the stock cam shaft or a Zo6. I have a Brian Tooley ls9 211/232 122 Lsa @.50 with the ls3 timing conversion kit it’s complete figured I would wear the stock one out first if that’s possible. Also some dual coils springs for that swap. No dyno pulls yet I have a virtual dyno I’m just to lazy to get it running. Street tuning only at this time.

Last edited by Speedy007; 06-16-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:08 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

I didn’t pursue my cam swap upon rebuilding ya I got new gm 243 performance heads. I believe it’s the stock cam shaft or a Zo6. I have a Brian Tooley ls9 211/232 122 Lsa @.50 with the ls3 timing conversion kit it’s complete figured I would wear the stock one out first if that’s possible. Also some dual coils springs for that swap. No dyno pulls yet I have a virtual dyno I’m just to lazy to get it running. Street tuning only at this time.
Understood...I ended up going speed density. I am very happy with it. I just ordered a piece of pipe to replace the maf. I would think the 99 maf with that big *** vane in it would be somewhat restrictive so why not. It will look cleaner as well...I just can th stop spending money on this thing..but it IS fun
Old 06-16-2019, 07:31 PM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

Understood...I ended up going speed density. I am very happy with it. I just ordered a piece of pipe to replace the maf. I would think the 99 maf with that big *** vane in it would be somewhat restrictive so why not. It will look cleaner as well...I just can th stop spending money on this thing..but it IS fun
Lol I hear that. It’s always there’s always another piece to add on l’m about to order a ls2 maf&3 to 5 wire harness & a custom charge pipe possible. I’m very happy with the maf tune. I know people do swear by the Sd tuning but a lot of people say maf is more accurate.Plus I live in Cali lol deleting a maf I guess is a no no here. But I can add a bigger ls2 which is cool with them lol because it’s over a year newer. I dunno my maf tune is working out for me happily. Tuning for meth injection soon what a blast that’s gonna be I can’t wait !

Last edited by Speedy007; 06-17-2019 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:14 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Lol I hear that. It’s always there’s always another piece to add on l’m about to order a ls2 maf&3 to 5 wire harness & a custom charge pipe possible. I’m very happy with the maf tune. I know people do swear by the Sd tuning but a lot of people say maf is more accurate.Plus I live in Cali lol deleting a maf I guess is a no no here. But I can add a bigger ls2 which is cool with them lol because it’s over a year newer. I dunno my maf tune is working out for me happily. Tuning for meth injection soon what a blast that’s gonna be I can’t wait !
I was hoping to keep the MAF, but she was running out at about 70-80% throttle and around 5600ish rpm......My year caps out lower so I really felt it was best not to deal with it. It was running decent with the MAF too, but I did not go past 70% tps until it was on a dyno....What I can say is that my cats were not happy. While they are 20 years old, they have limited mileage on them, but when we looked in the pipe the cat material was starting to break down...figures....
Old 06-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

I was hoping to keep the MAF, but she was running out at about 70-80% throttle and around 5600ish rpm......My year caps out lower so I really felt it was best not to deal with it. It was running decent with the MAF too, but I did not go past 70% tps until it was on a dyno....What I can say is that my cats were not happy. While they are 20 years old, they have limited mileage on them, but when we looked in the pipe the cat material was starting to break down...figures....
Oh no or a plus they will soon be hallow. Joke. Unhappy cat could be to lean or rich! Do you have a air-fuel monitor? Mine ran wot briefly to set those tables. I just got note my tune is SD currently! I’m all confused whether it’s in Sd or maf. I got my P0103 code off and came back. Need to get this code out! (California)

Last edited by Speedy007; 06-17-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:10 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Oh no or a plus they will soon be hallow. Joke. Unhappy cat could be to lean or rich! Do you have a air-fuel monitor? Mine ran wot briefly to set those tables. I just got note my tune is SD currently! I’m all confused whether it’s in Sd or maf. I got my P0103 code off and came back. Need to get this code out! (California)
The cat is now catless......I kept hearing about all the issues with smell and black soot, yada, yada, yada.....My car has no black soot that people claim and she is set about 11.3 afr up top....I do not notice any smell....Now I had a catless 79 vette with a carb and heads and cam package...that baby would smell but it never bothered me either....

To answer your question I have a wideband guage from autometer...It was dead on accurate with the Dyno from light throttle to WOT....
Old 06-17-2019, 04:53 PM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

The cat is now catless......I kept hearing about all the issues with smell and black soot, yada, yada, yada.....My car has no black soot that people claim and she is set about 11.3 afr up top....I do not notice any smell....Now I had a catless 79 vette with a carb and heads and cam package...that baby would smell but it never bothered me either....

To answer your question I have a wideband guage from autometer...It was dead on accurate with the Dyno from light throttle to WOT....
No doubt it mostly likely is. I just like the route street tuning in all kinds of driving. Plus I feel I am getting money money’s worth to a sense. I guess the tuners has 60 -80 miles now on my tune. 11.3 i here is the magic number. I wouldn’t run without cats or hallowed cats and risk burning up my rings.

Last edited by Speedy007; 06-17-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:17 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

No doubt it mostly likely is. I just like the route street tuning in all kinds of driving. Plus I feel I am getting money money’s worth to a sense. I guess the tuners has 60 -80 miles now on my tune. 11.3 i here is the magic number. I wouldn’t run without cats or hallowed cats and risk burning up my rings.
I hear ya...I was having fun tuning it myself on the street. I was kind of getting addicted, but the little voice inside my head kept saying, " load bearing dyno tune, load bearing dyno tune".....To me the whole experience of the dyno tuning was exciting.....I would love to hit a dynojet one day just to see the difference....
Old 06-19-2019, 12:25 AM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

I hear ya...I was having fun tuning it myself on the street. I was kind of getting addicted, but the little voice inside my head kept saying, " load bearing dyno tune, load bearing dyno tune".....To me the whole experience of the dyno tuning was exciting.....I would love to hit a dynojet one day just to see the difference....
If can ever figure this virtual dyno out i will make some graphs. Maybe I can get my tuner to covert the logs over. I still got more tuning to go as I’m trying to exchange the aa intake tube for vararam power duct. To support my methanol spayer. The aluminum tube currently is to thin to thread the power duct will be perfect thick plastic. might also pick up a few ponies with the bigger air ducting! Estimating lb/hour fuel later to get a good hp guess in.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:41 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

You need to export a datalog in csv format to import it into Virtual Dyno. In the log you need at least: Time, TPS, RPM

Last edited by aaronc7; 06-19-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:01 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Finally got my dyno sheet...It was 494rwhp......Maybe I can squeeze a few more by removing the MAF in lieu of a piece of aluminum straight pipe....I was hoping I would get 6 more HP.....LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning AA supercharger.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:43 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

change the correction factor from SAE to STD... lol.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:50 PM
Speedy007
Melting Slicks

494 ohh darn... start taking off the plastics go light on the beer and your bound to get a even 5!!!! I got a feeling my beast is pushing almost 650 @ 494 I would only assume still needs a tune or something else. Once I get my real numbers if I’m at anything below 630 before methanol. I’m swapping the cam out switching to different intakes,porting heads see where that gets me.

Last edited by Speedy007; 06-19-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:22 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

494 ohh darn... start taking off the plastics go light on the beer and your bound to get a even 5!!!! I got a feeling my beast is pushing almost 650 @ 494 I would only assume still needs a tune or something else. Once I get my real numbers if I’m at anything below 630 before methanol. I’m swapping the cam out switching to different intakes,porting heads see where that gets me.
Yeah, I still have the stock heads and cam.....My tuner said if I go meth I should be another 20 to 30rwhp. It is a mustang dyno so for a stock car I believe I am in the ballpark numbers wise....My target was 500rwhp as mentioned but my car wanted to tease me a bit.....Now, if I was on a dynojet my numbers would have surpassed my 500rwhp, but I prefer not to be more in line with street reality....She feels pretty strong and drives great. spent an hour and a half on back roads and on the highway and she was perfect......I can't compain at all. Quite happy with my tuner and my installer....Oh wait, I was the installer (lol)..

Quick Reply: Tuning AA supercharger.