C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 10:24 AM
DCF
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Battery Tender Question

This winter I started using a Battery Tender Jr. (750 mA) to keep the battery charged in case I don't drive the car for several weeks. I use the clips on the battery terminals but don't really like them or the cord laying on the fender under the cover and having to open and close the hood each time I drive the car. Would connecting the tender through the cigarette lighter create any problem? This would be much more convenient.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:42 AM
BiggieBoy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Good thought.....But, if it was do able, you think Battery Tender would include a cigarette plug for those people who wanted to charge their cars by that method. Have to agree w/ you...It sure would be a lot easier to charge your battery....
Old 02-13-2005, 10:50 AM
DCF
Intermediate

BiggieBoy

I emailed Battery Tender with this question but haven't heard back yet. I will post if they respond.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:51 AM
JPEAK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DCF
This winter I started using a Battery Tender Jr. (750 mA) to keep the battery charged in case I don't drive the car for several weeks. I use the clips on the battery terminals but don't really like them or the cord laying on the fender under the cover and having to open and close the hood each time I drive the car. Would connecting the tender through the cigarette lighter create any problem? This would be much more convenient.

DCF, I live in the cold north, Toronto Canada. Since my car is hibernating all winter, the tender is always attached. I prop the hood up about 6 inches just so that the engine compartment light is off. Clip on the cord to the battery, throw on a car cover and forget about it. I haven't seen a cig feature, but I'm sure that one can be fabricated. Opening and closing hood should be a regular routine for checking for oil level, viewing mods and dreaming of future mods.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:03 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

There is a much easier way. I have the Battery Tender Plus

Open the hood take the battery tender by both wires and lower it to the floor through the engine bay just behind the radiator. Tie or loop the battery cable to the oil stick, reach under the car, grab the battery tender and the 110v power cord. Position the tender on the garage floor just in front of the airdam.

Go up and untie or unloop the battery cables from the oil stick and hook up the battery. Then plug in the battery tender.

Running the wires under the hood is easy this way and allows you to close the hood.

When you are ready to drive, simply unplug the tender, remove the battery cables and drag the tender and the battery cables the rest of the way from under the car.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 02-13-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:09 AM
MY1STPEWTER
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's about what I do when I have mine hooked up. Slide the cables underneath the car, then take a coat hanger that I have straightened out and hook cables and pull up thru engine compartment. Hook cables up and close hood and put carcover on.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:11 AM
jacjen
Advanced

I have the battery tender plus. I bought the cigarrette lighter adapter, and the tender at the local auto parts store. Works great and is very easy to use, wires don't pose a problem when I close door either.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:30 AM
vetpet
Pro

Hi from the great white north. Leave your battery tender clipped to the battery and let the hood down slowly until it contacts the latches. The hood will remain open enough to allow the cord to pass under it and down over the side of the fender. Leave the tender plugged in, put the cover over the car and say good night. When you want to start the car, unplug the tender from its' power outlet without removing the clips from the battery. I usually go out to start the card once every couple of weeks and have absolutely no problem. Since you're only putting a trickle charge on the battery and the tender shuts down when the battery is fully charged there is little chance of having the battery boil over and spew acid. By keeping a small amount of current flowing through the battery you're actually keeping the battery warm and the cells active. Cold weather stops or inhibits the chemical reaction between cells that creates current, that's why batteries go dead.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:37 PM
DCF
Intermediate

Battery Tender repsonded this morining and confirmed that charging through the cigarette lighter would work fine as long as the socket was hot with the ignition off.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Tender Question

Quick Reply: Battery Tender Question