C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 10:21 PM
DocToss
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HUD problems

Today I noticed an orange square light in the HUD, then all the lights in the HUD lit up, then it started working ok. Is this an early sign of something? Have others had the HUD go out and what were the first signs?
Old 02-28-2005, 01:18 AM
SpeedyZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is definitely a sign of something, but I don't know what. I can tell you there is NO orange light in a stock C5 HUD! Maybe something is smoking in there! It may be something going wrong with the VFD (Vacuum Florescent Display) or controller in the HUD causing a single segment to heat up. To light a segment the HUD controller pulses the segment with a pulse 2us-300us in length at a rate of 250Hz. The shorter the pulse the dimmer the display. If for some reason the controller stopped pulsing the segments and just sent DC to a segment it would probably start to glow orange. But I would think this would burn up the display in a second or so, but those VFD are designed to be driven hard, they are the only VFD I have ever seen with a heat sink on them. Any idea about where in the HUD you seen the light? My guess is if you seen orange in there, it not a good thing! Here is what is inside a C5 HUD.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:25 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Did this happen during the day or night? If during the day, I'm wondering if you just got some sun reflextion on the HUD VFD screen.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:40 AM
99blackFRC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shylor
Did this happen during the day or night? If during the day, I'm wondering if you just got some sun reflextion on the HUD VFD screen.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:10 AM
DocToss
Pro

It was during the day, and the orange was the square in the left lower quadrant.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

I'm still thinking it was sun reflection. I know the first time I saw it in mine, I was concerned. Until I realized what just happened.

Get notified of new replies

To HUD problems

Quick Reply: HUD problems