C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what makes more sense 450whp NA vs 450whp FI

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 04:35 PM
generationjdm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what makes more sense 450whp NA vs 450whp FI

Im thinking about doing some more mod's to my c5 here's my list of present mod's vararam intake corsa exhaust 3.73 gear yank 3600.ss. What make's more sense what's actually faster down the 1/4 mile?
Stock motor with supercharger/turbo making 450whp & 450TQ for instance.
Built N/A motor basically 383.ci to 427.ci motor with head work and mild cam lets say roughly 450whp & 450TQ. Also which one would be cheaper and more reliable?
I personally think it would be a lot cheaper to do the built N/A motor to make the same power as the stock FI motor i could be wrong. Please comment on pros and cons thank you.

Last edited by generationjdm; 06-11-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:38 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,195 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

similiar costs but with NA, 450rwhp streetability might not be quite as good as FI at the same power levels. Also, NA @450HP and you're not going to get much more out of it without adding nitrous or some sort of forced induction. If you go FI to begin with you can raise the boost and have more power..until you destroy the bottom end

Personally I'd do one of Andy's P1SC kits, blower cam and headers. Some head work would help a lot too, but would get you well to (and beyond if the bottom end can handle it) 450hp.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:02 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

The blower will give you better mileage and driveabilty, IMHO.

The blower will not become obselete, whereas if you go all motor and then decide to add boost, you will likely have to sell off a lot of now useless parts.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:14 PM
generationjdm
Instructor

Originally Posted by schpenxel
similiar costs but with NA, 450rwhp streetability might not be quite as good as FI at the same power levels. Also, NA @450HP and you're not going to get much more out of it without adding nitrous or some sort of forced induction. If you go FI to begin with you can raise the boost and have more power..until you destroy the bottom end

Personally I'd do one of Andy's P1SC kits, blower cam and headers. Some head work would help a lot too, but would get you well to (and beyond if the bottom end can handle it) 450hp.
the a&a kit is what i really want but andy said the p1sc unit is backed ordered for atleast 6 weeks. Basically i would try to make 450whp without any head work headers or cam if i went with the a&a kit. i have the a4 so i think 450whp might be the safe limits.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Roofless
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Do the FI and don't look back, wait for Andy's order to come in and do it.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:23 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Originally Posted by generationjdm
the a&a kit is what i really want but andy said the p1sc unit is backed ordered for atleast 6 weeks. Basically i would try to make 450whp without any head work headers or cam if i went with the a&a kit. i have the a4 so i think 450whp might be the safe limits.
Sounds like a plan to me.

I'd do the same if I had the cash
Old 06-11-2005, 09:37 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I disagree with some degree with some of the comments above. Making the power level you desire NA is cheaper and less troublesome. NA will always be less of an headache vs the turbo or blower route. Yes, down the road you can make more power with FI...increase boost. But, you will have to increase a host of other things also.
Look, I've been driving a 469rwhp NA thru 4.10 gears for a little over two years and I go anywhere...no belts slipping, no turbo lag or heat, just pure NA power. Then if someone wants to get sassy, I have a blue bottle that provides me with an instant 615rwhp.
I love FI, I lived with a blower for years w/my previous car and I tell ya, it's cool but it requires more maintenance than NA!
Old 06-11-2005, 10:12 AM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
I disagree with some degree with some of the comments above. Making the power level you desire NA is cheaper and less troublesome. NA will always be less of an headache vs the turbo or blower route. Yes, down the road you can make more power with FI...increase boost. But, you will have to increase a host of other things also.
Look, I've been driving a 469rwhp NA thru 4.10 gears for a little over two years and I go anywhere...no belts slipping, no turbo lag or heat, just pure NA power. Then if someone wants to get sassy, I have a blue bottle that provides me with an instant 615rwhp.
I love FI, I lived with a blower for years w/my previous car and I tell ya, it's cool but it requires more maintenance than NA!
I have had a H/C header package, then went with a blower motor and now a stroker--you do not need to increase your cubic inches to have a reliable and streetable 450rwhp--a good heads cam header package will do this without FI beating the hell out of your bottom end--I can tell you on these cars with the low profile tires that no street tire made can hold 450rwhp or better and I have always felt that 450 was about the cutoff for practical street driving and anything more was just a tire spinning experience--if I had it to do over again I would have a 450rwhp H/C header package and be happy with the perfect balance---this would have saved me a fortune--
Old 06-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Corvette4ever
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by NEPTUNEBILL
if I had it to do over again I would have a 450rwhp H/C header package and be happy with the perfect balance---this would have saved me a fortune--
That's what I've been saying to my C5 friends. I have ~500 rwhp & traction on 295 BFG DR does not exist. I thought continuous spinning was fun at first, well not any more
Old 06-11-2005, 12:30 PM
generationjdm
Instructor

I have had a H/C header package, then went with a blower motor and now a stroker--you do not need to increase your cubic inches to have a reliable and streetable 450rwhp--a good heads cam header package will do this without FI beating the hell out of your bottom end--I can tell you on these cars with the low profile tires that no street tire made can hold 450rwhp or better and I have always felt that 450 was about the cutoff for practical street driving and anything more was just a tire spinning experience--if I had it to do over again I would have a 450rwhp H/C header package and be happy with the perfect balance---this would have saved me a fortune--
How will i obtain 450whp remember its an automatic most engine builders on this forum told me 450whp MIght be obtained if i go with the 408-427.ci motors? Whats the most i can get with the stock bottom end with bolt ons no FI.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:46 PM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

How will i obtain 450whp remember its an automatic most engine builders on this forum told me 450whp MIght be obtained if i go with the 408-427.ci motors? Whats the most i can get with the stock bottom end with bolt ons no FI.
I really have no experience with the numbers on an A4 so I don't know what diff it makes percentage wise, the flywheel hp will be the same but the loss factor I know is somewhat diff, I know some of the guys simply used AFR 205's (with stock cubes and no FI) a complimentary cam, a 90mm FAST and good 90mm TB--good set of longtubes, no cats, and good exhaust system, UD pulley while you have the cam out, good breather and great tune--you already have the good TC and rear gear and the 373 gears will also make it harder to achieve your numbers but it doesn't mean the car want run the same as an M6 with the more impressive dyno chart--I know the above setup that I mentioned has gotten 480+rwhp on M6 cars so I don't see why it would not read at least close to that on your a4--and this setup is very streetable

Last edited by NEPTUNEBILL; 06-11-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:55 PM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Corvette4ever
That's what I've been saying to my C5 friends. I have ~500 rwhp & traction on 295 BFG DR does not exist. I thought continuous spinning was fun at first, well not any more
You got that right I am in the 500 to 550 range with torque in the middle of this range as well and the 335s on the back mean absolutely nothing, I have 390 gears that I ran with the HC package on and that does not help I think the 373 gear is perfect for the strokers, maybe not for drag racing but for all round performance--

my HC setup was in the 425+rwhp range and it was pretty drivable and I could have seen another 25rwhp which I could have had if the 90mm stuff were available then but that would have put even the 335s to the test--and these gd cars can get away from you quick the low profiles are unmanageable once the car get sideways, lift your foot and hope for the best--I swear I have been thinking about having John at ccw make me a 16" set of street wheels like my drag setup where I can get some sidewall on this damn thing but I don't know who makes a 335 or 345 in a 16" size anyway--
Old 06-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Gasser
Instructor

Well, I just bought a 427 car that put down right at 535 RWHP and I feel traction is pretty good with the 345s out back. I think the car is very streetable and I love the grunt of this thing. My previoius car was a 624 RWHP turbo supra and that thing on the track was great but the lag on the street made street skirmishes a little difficult if you were caught off guard. This car feels much faster in daily driving and probably is. Now on the highway, all bets were off....

The only thing I think I am missing right now is decient brakes and the desire to fill up those wheels with some big brakes is killing me.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:43 PM
generationjdm
Instructor

You got that right I am in the 500 to 550 range with torque in the middle of this range as well and the 335s on the back mean absolutely nothing, I have 390 gears that I ran with the HC package on and that does not help I think the 373 gear is perfect for the strokers, maybe not for drag racing but for all round performance--

my HC setup was in the 425+rwhp range and it was pretty drivable and I could have seen another 25rwhp which I could have had if the 90mm stuff were available then but that would have put even the 335s to the test--and these gd cars can get away from you quick the low profiles are unmanageable once the car get sideways, lift your foot and hope for the best--I swear I have been thinking about having John at ccw make me a 16" set of street wheels like my drag setup where I can get some sidewall on this damn thing but I don't know who makes a 335 or 345 in a 16" size anyway--
Ok with a good head and cam package maybe some good headers leaving the cats in tack what could my car go in the quarter mile. The car already went 12.34 @ 112mph on pilot sport tires..
Old 06-11-2005, 11:45 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,195 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Too many options for heads and cams to give you much of an answer...but, a lot faster
Old 06-12-2005, 02:45 AM
Paras
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After going to A&A's party today, I realized one thing, I like the sound of H/C way better than a S/C. Just my opinion... I didn't think that sound would be such a deciding factor but I did not get enjoy the high pitch sound of the S/C. The grumble-grumble of the H/C sounded much deeper and meaner...

Before I heard the two, I was thinking that I'd do the S/C one day but now, I doubt it unless I was just hearing loud S/C's and there's a quiet one out there...
Old 06-12-2005, 07:50 AM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

450 rwhp on a FI C5 would be terrible. Even a small blower (ATI P-1SC for example) or pretty much any of the TT kits would easily make over 500.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To what makes more sense 450whp NA vs 450whp FI

Old 06-12-2005, 10:42 AM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

Ok with a good head and cam package maybe some good headers leaving the cats in tack what could my car go in the quarter mile. The car already went 12.34 @ 112mph on pilot sport tires..
A CCW drag package with the skinnies and ET streets will knock a 1/2 second off your time easily putting you easily in the 11's--H/C and a 90mm setup etc should put you in the upper 10's anyway---
Old 06-12-2005, 01:09 PM
generationjdm
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdhmi
450 rwhp on a FI C5 would be terrible. Even a small blower (ATI P-1SC for example) or pretty much any of the TT kits would easily make over 500.

Mark
450whp relates to about 540 crank hp on the A4, this is the limits on pump gas this info came from Andy at a&a. The 6 speed car can see 480-500 whp on pump gas besause off the less drive train loss.P.S im looking for safe power not the ragged edge.

Last edited by generationjdm; 06-12-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:15 PM
01vetteC5
Instructor

im just wondering becuase im planning on doign the same mods has you what do you run with these mods vararam intake corsa exhaust 3.73 gear yank 3600 ????

Quick Reply: what makes more sense 450whp NA vs 450whp FI