C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...Replacing Rotors/painting calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 04:45 PM
PatriotVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...Replacing Rotors/painting calipers

I am going to try to replace my rotors and paint the calipers. I have been given instructions from other forum members, but one part is unclear. When i take the calipers off will I need to clamp the pistons in or do something where they won't close? This will be the first project on my 99 coupe that i just got in March.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
craig
Old 06-19-2005, 04:49 PM
ANTIVINUM
Racer

If your are talking about were the pistons on the calipers will be compressed in, than all you will need to do is take a pair of pliers and press the piston back to the back of the caliper. Or at least that is what I did but other members might have different approach.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:13 PM
fig32
Instructor

All you need to do is stick a large screwdriver in the middle area of the caliper and gently move the caliper. This will compress the piston a little an free up the caliper. It is very easy and that is my weekend project also. I just put the second coat of paint on and am impatiently waiting for it to dry. Good luck and have fun!

Mark
Old 06-19-2005, 05:17 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1551118720
Old 06-20-2005, 06:33 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fig32
All you need to do is stick a large screwdriver in the middle area of the caliper and gently move the caliper. This will compress the piston a little an free up the caliper. It is very easy and that is my weekend project also. I just put the second coat of paint on and am impatiently waiting for it to dry. Good luck and have fun!

Mark
I did installed Sportbrakes rotors on mine this weekend. I simply compressed the pistons BEFORE I took the calipers off. Easy.

Last edited by WKMCD; 06-20-2005 at 12:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help...Replacing Rotors/painting calipers

Quick Reply: Help...Replacing Rotors/painting calipers