C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel bearing/hub life expectancy??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:52 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Shiels
My fronts went 55,000 with hard track use. You will feel free play in the wheel or hear a growling noise on corners to start with. They were 130 at Autozone. I dumped the rears at 58,000 but they seemed OK. Didn't want to ruin another track day.
Also, an incessant hum which increases in noise volume with acceleration, and, conversely decreases as you de-accelerate. I had to replace my rear bearing assembly units which come complete with the speed sensor at approximately 20K miles. Timkin has been an o.e. replacement provider for bearings for decades, and, as mentioned, are available at AutoZone for over $150 per bearing assembly (far cheaper than the GM dealership replacement at over $350 each). The Timkin bearing assembly part number for the rear C5 bearing assembly unit is Timkin part #512153. Good luck to you.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:33 AM
DPG
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

i took mine to the dealer and the right rear was bad. Only that one was bad. Reason I took it to the dealer instead of doing it myself. COST. It was cheaper for me to take it to the dealer than to do it myself. Deductible is $100 and the part costs more than that. If I were doing it myself I would have changed both. But the dealer only found that bad one. So thats all they replaced. After being there once, I trust that dealer with my car and they didnt complain about my car being so low either which i thought they definitly would complain about.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing/hub life expectancy??