C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam: can it do any harm ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 10:57 PM
dudleyd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robbo
I have a 98 coupe with 125,000 on it and don't know the history (only owned it since 118,000 and August). I think I will try to cover all the bases. Anyone see anything wrong with this plan?

Pour half of one can in the oil ~250 miles before oil change is due and pour 1 can in the gas .

The day before the oil change I think I'll try the 4oz in each cylinder and turn over w/o plugs then let sit overnight. Next day will run the car until it stops smoking and then change oil and put new plugs/wires (don't know when the plugs/wires were changed last).

Any other related suggestions to go along with this that you would do with the mileage/unknown history?

Rob
Rob,
Have you done the Sea Foam decarb yet. I have a very similer situation with a 99 coupe at 120K miles that has consumed 1qrt per 700 - 1000 miles from day one. Motor has never been decarbed yet but since I just installed a AMW catch can and will do the LS1 to LS6 pcv mod next week when I change over to a LS6 intake I thought now would be a good time. Reading through all the post outlining the varrious methodes I thought yours sounded resonable. How it all turn out?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:24 AM
Robbo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dudleyd
Rob,
Have you done the Sea Foam decarb yet. I have a very similer situation with a 99 coupe at 120K miles that has consumed 1qrt per 700 - 1000 miles from day one. Motor has never been decarbed yet but since I just installed a AMW catch can and will do the LS1 to LS6 pcv mod next week when I change over to a LS6 intake I thought now would be a good time. Reading through all the post outlining the varrious methodes I thought yours sounded resonable. How it all turn out?
Hey,

Unfortunately I haven't done it yet. It's just the plan I came up with. I have quite a few miles to go before the next oil change (about 2k) but when I do I'm going to follow that plan. I'll let you know how it turns out... or if you get to do it before me... let me know how it turns out for you.

Rob
Old 06-23-2017, 11:32 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry to bump such an old thread.

I am wanting to do this.

I never ran a fuel injector cleaner or upper head lubricant but have been told to do so. I bought lucas fuel cleaner and upper engine lubricant and poured the small bottle in the tank. Too early to see any results.

However I've done seafoam in the past and it helped with some older cars. Just scared to do this to my vette...

I am reading some of you guys put half of the seafoam in the oil??? before an oil change. Never heard of that before? Drive the car around like that? That sounds scary!
Old 06-23-2017, 11:59 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Also curious about whether Seafoam in the gas tank could cause any issues. I have a fuel gauge that doesn't read properly sometimes and is likely due to deposits on the fuel level sensor(s). Tried Techron already, but wondering if Seafoam would do a better job, and safely.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 06-23-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:09 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I use Seafoam often in the manifold and it works great. Pouring it into the gas tanks doesn't seem to do much.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:09 PM
bravo29
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I seafoamed my gas tank twice so far to unstuck my gas gauge. Worked with no issue so far. Now my level gauge goes up or down instead of staying at a quarter tank after a fill up.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Seafoam: can it do any harm ??