C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1-4 skip shift SES light

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 03:40 PM
torchredfrc
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1-4 skip shift SES light

I recently started getting a SES light for the 1-4 skip shift circuitry (I believe it's code 803). I have used a CAGS until I got HPTuners and at that point, I disabled the skip shift in the PCM... any ideas why I might be getting this code? Does this code pose any threat that gears 2 & 3 will get locked out?

To get the code to stop, I've reprogrammed with SES disabled for it. I'm mostly concerned that if it fails it will lock me out of gears 2 & 3.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 01-30-2006, 04:39 PM
dpd
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like it is not taking the delete.put the cags eliminator back in.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:06 PM
torchredfrc
Drifting

The delete has been functioning for over a year... why all the sudden?
Old 01-30-2006, 05:18 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,406 Likes on 753 Posts

If the skip-shift connector isn't plugged into the skip-shift solenoid, then there's no way for it to energize, regardless of what the SES code is. So gears 2-3 are OK.

Oh, and the problem could be as easy as a burnt resistor. 2100 ohms is what you're wanting.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-30-2006, 05:22 PM
torchredfrc
Drifting

Maybe I asked the question incorrectly. I had a CAGS when I purchased the car. I purchased HPTuners about a year and a half ago and at that time I removed the CAGS hardware and turned 1-4 Skip Shift off in the PCM. The solenoid is connected just as it was from the factory.

The last couple times I've driven the car, I'm getting a SES light and code 803 (i think that's the correct code) that says the 1-4 skip shift solenoid circuitry has malfunctioned. In fact, here is the exact code. It is 803:

1-4 Upshift (Skip Shift) Solenoid Control Circuit Malfunction

Any ideas what would cause this?
Old 01-30-2006, 05:26 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,406 Likes on 753 Posts

I don't know what could cause it (dead solenoid, improper reprogramming?), but if it starts locking you out of 2-3, you can always disconnect it.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-30-2006, 05:28 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy!

You'll get a 0803 if the computer up front doesn't detect the right level of resistance. It's funny I had nearly the same thing come up a few months ago.

I had a CAGS bypass, when I checked under the car, the resistor plug had melted through, exposing the resistor itself, which had also been smoked by the heat and exposure. So I just reconnected the OEM plug, and used HPTuners to set the TPS throttle peak to 0% (vs. 20% stock I think?) so ANY throttle means no cags.

Just for fun I checked with everything just disconnected - yep, code 0803 (H and C after a cycle), and a SES/MIL light after one start. Reconnected, reset codes, HPTuner'd it. Fixed.

Everything is working great, not even a 1-4 shift light anymore (the CAGS bypass still lets the light turn on).

So I would hazard a guess - and I'm assuming you totally removed your CAGS plug - that the OEM connector has come loose, or the wiring itself has melted a little and exposed the wire or been completely severed.

If you HPT the car to turn it off - I'm also assuming it wasn't using something that *might* have crossed the threshold. I remember HPT having several ways to disable it (TPS, Temp, etc., etc.), so I suppose it *possible* you happen to have triggered it again. The TPS method seems to work perfect.

Definitely just check the connection at the tranny for a nice solid lockdown, and check the wire you can see for damage.

Good Luck!

Last edited by DT; 01-30-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:02 PM
torchredfrc
Drifting

I used the TPS method. I guess I'll have to get back down there and see if I melted something. In the mean time I have just disabled the SES light for the 803 error.

Thanks for your replies DT & everyone else.

Get notified of new replies

To 1-4 skip shift SES light

Quick Reply: 1-4 skip shift SES light