C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installed my 160* thermostat, car is hot

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:51 PM
idiedtrying
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed my 160* thermostat, car is hot

i installed a new thermostat, a trans cooler, and removed my A/C, flushed trans and refilled with fluid..
my gauge says my car is running 220*-225*.. why is this?? is this right?? whats a good way to make it run cooler?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:14 PM
JEEP/C5
Burning Brakes

Did you reset your when you fans come on. Need to have them come on earlier so it works properly. Do a search on the CF. Lots of threads on this subject.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:30 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

You need to reset your fans to come on early with the 160 stat. Also, check your coolant level and and add a bottle of water wetter.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Wisdom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the cooling system need to be bled too to remove excess air from the loop? I had to do that with my old car and it's 3.8L engine, so I would expect a similar procedure with the 5.0L engine.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:41 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by JEEP/C5
Did you reset your when you fans come on. Need to have them come on earlier so it works properly. Do a search on the CF. Lots of threads on this subject.
That is what we did when I put a 160 in my car and that allows your car to run cooler as you are wanting
Old 02-02-2006, 10:49 PM
idiedtrying
Instructor

how do i do it exactly?? i seacrched and didnt find anything...
Old 02-03-2006, 04:04 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by idiedtrying
how do i do it exactly?? i seacrched and didnt find anything...
The 160 certainly should not have made you car run hotter. If it did, something is not operating properly. Possibly not opening up all the way. You can reset your fans with LS1 edit, hp tuner, and many of the hand held programmers.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:31 AM
idiedtrying
Instructor

i can also hook up a fan switch too right? and i can turn it on when i want...
Old 02-03-2006, 08:36 AM
byte_me
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 103 Posts

i can also hook up a fan switch too right? and i can turn it on when i want...

yeah - I have heard about hooking up a switch...I too have a 160* T-Stat in my 97, I used a hypertech programmer to adjust the fans for the new temp (I bought the programmer used for $100) my car will get to 190* in traffic...but that's as hot as she gets! and in Florida - that's damn good!
Old 02-03-2006, 08:50 AM
mike348
Burning Brakes

If car is traveling on hwy or over 35mph for a time and you're still at 220 something needs to be looked at before fans.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:01 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

you need to disconnect the small return line to the resevoir, and purge the air out of the system. Not the safest way, but I cover the small nipple and blow into the filler with my mouth. If you don't get the air pockets out of your engine, you're going to hurt something.

The engine should run cooler with the thermostat, regardless of fans, if you're moving and it's not too hot outside
Old 02-03-2006, 09:18 AM
lost
Drifting

Even with the stock fan settings those temps are too high. I suspect there is air in the system. Raise the front of the car[ ramps, jack, whatever]open the coolant overflow tank, start engine and allow to idle till normal operating temp is reached,this will evacuate any air in the system. Ive used this method on every car I've owned for the past 40 years. Do not continue to drive with this condition, each time the pocket of air passes through the water pump, it will cause the pump to cavitate, leading to premature failure of the pump.If this does not cure your problem then I would check the thermostat to see that it is opening at the proper temperature.If after all this, there is the rare possibility that the temp sending unit went bad at the same time as your doing this mod.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:02 AM
EStreeter
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have some air trapped in the cooling system. If you did not reset the fans, the car should run at the same temps as before the thermostat change. The 160 only opens earlier to allow circulation at a lower temp.

Also, now that you have added a trans cooler, your cooling system fans are having to deal with that heat also.

Remove the surge tank cap, let the car warm to a point where the thermostat is fully open (about 170 degrees) and cycle between idle and revs to 3,000 rpm for about 30 seconds. This will let the air escape. You may have to do this enough to get the car up to about 220 for all the air to come out. If the cap is on the surge tank. the air can't escape.

PM me a fax number and I will send you the instructions that came with my thermostat.

Check to make sure that nothing got sucked up into the radiator.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:59 PM
idiedtrying
Instructor

thanks so much, ill ltry this, if i cant get it then i will pm you.. i appreciate it

like always everybody here helps me..

Old 02-03-2006, 06:15 PM
idiedtrying
Instructor

one more ?, would it hurt to hook up a manual fan switch and turn the fans on when i see it getting to about 150*???? will that hurt anything at all?? is it a good idea?
Old 02-03-2006, 11:21 PM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I apologize I'm stating the obvious but you should check all the bases. You said you removed your a/c, did that include the a/c condensor in front of the radiator?. If not, check for debris in the a/c condensor (bugs can block it up pretty good)for fins blocking air flow to radiator. If you did remove the a/c condensor, have you routinely or ever removed the radiator for cleaning debris from between its fins? These are usually the first things you chec, I didn't see any mention.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:10 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

one more ?, would it hurt to hook up a manual fan switch and turn the fans on when i see it getting to about 150*???? will that hurt anything at all?? is it a good idea?
I don't think it would hurt, but I don't think your fan settings are your problem. I would start trouble shooting first, start with the air in the lines like the guys above stated. Check everything before you make any changes to the car, that way you can isolate the problem. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:23 PM
idiedtrying
Instructor

ok thanks, i removed the a/c condensor and the radiator is new form a 6,000 mile motor..so its not that..
ill do the air thing and let you know
thanks

Get notified of new replies

To installed my 160* thermostat, car is hot

Quick Reply: installed my 160* thermostat, car is hot