C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust smells like rotten egg after hard acceleration. wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 04:05 PM
badass1g
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

ok so how do i know if its running closed loop?
Old 02-16-2006, 04:13 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Originally Posted by badass1g
ok so how do i know if its running closed loop?
Welllllll, Unfortunately since you did NOT fill out your profile with the City/State you live in, members like me who have the proper scan equipment and Tech 2's are unable to help you cause we dont know if your within driving distance to our residence..
Old 02-16-2006, 04:38 PM
badass1g
Drifting

im in slc utah.. i will be commin to vegas in bout a month though
Old 02-16-2006, 05:25 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Originally Posted by badass1g
im in slc utah.. i will be commin to vegas in bout a month though
If its still bad, hit me up and I'll throw it on the scanner and see whats up.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Lew W
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, what he said
Old 02-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Threed
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you say to rich... Cats are suppose to smell like rotten eggs when they get hot from a rich mixture. There working fine just get your AFR corrected before you do burn them out...
Old 02-17-2006, 01:45 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And you notice it more when it's cold out, yes?
Old 02-17-2006, 02:02 AM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Originally Posted by Threed
Can you say to rich... Cats are suppose to smell like rotten eggs when they get hot from a rich mixture. There working fine just get your AFR corrected before you do burn them out...
So why is it that alot of cars smell like rotten eggs when the cats are removed??
Old 02-17-2006, 09:18 AM
jedicowboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
So why is it that alot of cars smell like rotten eggs when the cats are removed??
I am really confused now. The rotten egg smell possibly comes from cats that are on their way out. Yet a car without cats smells of rotton eggs too? So they both smell like rotten eggs then, right?

I thought a car without cats would smell more like a lawnmower or possibly an old work truck than rotten eggs? I also thought with a proper tune it could actually smell like any other vette on the road just get a little more black soot than normal on the pipes.

Is there anyone out there that can clear this up for me?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:07 AM
dpd
Drifting

rich mixtures[fuel]through cats= rotten egg smell.cars without cats tend to smell more fuelly,not eggish.overcharging batteries will give you a egg smell also.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by jedicowboy
I thought a car without cats would smell more like a lawnmower or possibly an old work truck than rotten eggs? I also thought with a proper tune it could actually smell like any other vette on the road just get a little more black soot than normal on the pipes.
You've got it right. Both smells are bad, but working cats and a rich mixture create sulfur compounds (hydrogen sulfide I think), the rotten egg smell. No cats smells like the old work truck.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:54 AM
jedicowboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
No cats smells like the old work truck.
So can the AFR be corrected or adjusted on the car to alleviate an undesirable smell without cats? The reason I ask is that some folks claim their vette smells the same without cats and other's claim that the smell is ungodly. I know that it is all relative to that person's sense of smell, but generally speaking can adjusting the AFR do the trick?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:59 AM
leatherbee408
Heel & Toe

Cats are designed to run near stoichmetric 14.7/1 air fuel ratio. When you are running alot richer than that for extended periouds of time they will start to overheat or cook and you are smelling them start to melt. And yes they will either completely melt the insides (lazy mans way of boring them out) or clog up evenually depending on the temp/driving patterns.

A car without cats will just smell from increased emissions. Typical 3way cats will lower your HC/CO/NOX by 40% so mostly the only thing coming out of the pipe is H20 and CO2. So without cats it would be a totally different smell which with a good tune you probably wont notice much unless you have it parked in a closed garage and then you will notice untill you fall into a deep sleep and die.

Originally Posted by jedicowboy
I am really confused now. The rotten egg smell possibly comes from cats that are on their way out. Yet a car without cats smells of rotton eggs too? So they both smell like rotten eggs then, right?

Old 02-17-2006, 12:00 PM
badass1g
Drifting

ohh boy, first everyone was saying clogged cats, now its complete opposite so if i get offroad x pipe and delete cats, will that lean the car out at all? helping get rid off egg smell? i dont mind the old work truck smell, cause i dont want chicks thinking im farting eggs in the car, lol
Old 02-17-2006, 12:01 PM
RubberBill
Race Director

Location: "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb & silent we may be led like sheep to the slaught
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by JonLT4CE
I would refer to the troubleshooting manual. Rotten egg smell is not necessarily a bad cat. New Chrysler cars from about 20 years ago were notorious for this. It had to to with the catalyst and A.I.R. sytems combined. I could follow behind a new car going up a hill and smell rotten eggs. 9 out of 10 times it was a Chrysler product.

I would put it on a sniffer. Is it throwing any codes? Are you sure it's going in closed loop mode? It's tough to spend money using the shot-gun method only to find out that it was not the problem. Been there-done that.
FoMoCo products also are notorious for this. Following the original Taurus many years ago smelled like a bad night of drinking beer and eating peanuts.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:01 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Someone put eggs in your gas tank.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:44 PM
jedicowboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by midqz
FoMoCo products also are notorious for this. Following the original Taurus many years ago smelled like a bad night of drinking beer and eating peanuts.
Sounded like it too.

Get notified of new replies

To exhaust smells like rotten egg after hard acceleration. wtf?

Old 02-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Threed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leatherbee408
Cats are designed to run near stoichmetric 14.7/1 air fuel ratio. When you are running alot richer than that for extended periouds of time they will start to overheat or cook and you are smelling them start to melt. And yes they will either completely melt the insides (lazy mans way of boring them out) or clog up evenually depending on the temp/driving patterns.

A car without cats will just smell from increased emissions. Typical 3way cats will lower your HC/CO/NOX by 40% so mostly the only thing coming out of the pipe is H20 and CO2. So without cats it would be a totally different smell which with a good tune you probably wont notice much unless you have it parked in a closed garage and then you will notice untill you fall into a deep sleep and die.
IMHO, get a tune and get your Air / Fuel ratios corrected and the problem will greatly improve.

Last edited by Threed; 02-17-2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:26 PM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow73SB
Someone put eggs in your gas tank.

This may be closer than you think.
Sometimes there is an excessive amount of sulfur in the tanks where you last bought fuel. If you recently filled the gas tank that may have happened.
It happened to me a few years ago when I bought gas out of town at a cheap station. The exhaust smelled awful. Next tank of fuel and the smell went away. Haven't smelled it since.
If this is a new problem, I would not do anything until you refuel again.

Last edited by corvette dave; 02-19-2006 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:58 AM
badass1g
Drifting

no its been like this from day 1

Quick Reply: exhaust smells like rotten egg after hard acceleration. wtf?