C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column lock letter from GM[merged]

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 09:44 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just found out mine had the 4006 recall done in 2004. It never had a problem before that recall or after they did the recall work either, so im just leaving it all alone now.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:57 AM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by briann510
I just found out mine had the 4006 recall done in 2004. It never had a problem before that recall or after they did the recall work either, so im just leaving it all alone now.

Had a buddy whose philosophy was "If it ain't broke, break it." I sure did get to drive my car a lot more than he did his.

Charlie
Old 09-14-2006, 10:08 AM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh jeezus

If the info on this forum doesn't convince you that you're just delaying the inevitable by doing nothing and leaving GM's feeble attempts at addressing the issue as your solution, then ... nevermind. You need to learn on your own.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:18 PM
NetBob928
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 98 had the first recall done before I got it last summer. Last week the column locked up and I had to have it towed to the dealer. The hook came loose while pulling it up onto the flatbed and tore through the front bumper. I now wish I had the 04006C done before it locked up.

By the way, I asked this before but didn't really get an answer. Will it do any harm to also install the Column Lock Bypass as well as the 04006C recall fix?
Old 09-14-2006, 04:02 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

So if im understanding this on my car, apparatly I cannot install the CLB because my car has had the 04006 recall done years ago. Im not sure what the 4006C recall is and what they do differently, but when I went into the dealer this morning they said I dont need it nor will they do it under warranty unless the car is displying the DIC message (and my VIN falls under the ones covered mentioned above). So if they wont do the C recall what do I do now?

But if I do get them to do the 4006C then can I install the CLB? What exactly are they doing on the "4006C" recall? Its kind of confusing once GM has done one or more recalls on this which direction I need to go.

quoted from an above post: You should verify that you can have 4006C performed and have them do it, then replace the Harness K relay they provide with the BCM. . When you say to replace the harness K relay do you mean put in the CLB?

If it were up to me id take the whole damn locking plate out.

Sorry guys for the long winded post!

Last edited by briann510; 09-14-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:48 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

So if im understanding this on my car, apparatly I cannot install the CLB because my car has had the 04006 recall done years ago. Im not sure what the 4006C recall is and what they do differently, but when I went into the dealer this morning they said I dont need it nor will they do it under warranty unless the car is displying the DIC message (and my VIN falls under the ones covered mentioned above). So if they wont do the C recall what do I do now?

But if I do get them to do the 4006C then can I install the CLB? What exactly are they doing on the "4006C" recall? Its kind of confusing once GM has done one or more recalls on this which direction I need to go.

quoted from an above post: You should verify that you can have 4006C performed and have them do it, then replace the Harness K relay they provide with the BCM. . When you say to replace the harness K relay do you mean put in the CLB?

If it were up to me id take the whole damn locking plate out.

Sorry guys for the long winded post!
For MN6 vehicles, the previous 4006 recall only modified the BCM logic but the CL is still in place and locks the wheel when you pull the key. Recall 4006C is the first recall that disables the CL for MN6 vehicles by removing the locking plate so the CL cannot lock the wheel. BUT, the BCM still determines whether to cut fuel if it doesn't receive the proper state signal. GM's solution as part of this recall is the Harness K relay, which is their version of the CLB. But the CLB is more reliable so many people are pulling the Harness K and installing the CLB in it's place.

Regarding your dealer, they are full of it. You should print off a copy of the 4006C recall and bring it to them. I never had any CL work done (I have a CLB) and never had any DIC message, but GM has sent me about 6 Recall Notices to have 4006C done almost begging me to bring the car in so I have no idea what they're referring to when they tell you they won't perform the recall. They're just plain lazy.

For 2003 vehicles, the VIN breakpoint range listed in the recall is 35100003 through 35135465.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:07 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Thanks, that clarified alot for me in one post.

Now all I have to do is find a dealer that will do the C safety notice recall.

If I remember correctly though the letter was not a "notice" only for cars that were either automatic OR Canada/export 6 speeds only. I dont think they were removing lock plates on 6 speed US cars at all but maybe im wrong. Maybe this is why 2 dealers turned me away when I showed them the 4006C notice and said it didnt apply to me.

Can of worms I tell ya!

Last edited by briann510; 09-14-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:24 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Thanks, that clarified alot for me in one post.

Now all I have to do is find a dealer that will do the C safety notice recall.

If I remember correctly though the letter was not a "notice" only for cars that were either automatic OR Canada/export 6 speeds only. I dont think they were removing lock plates on 6 speed US cars at all but maybe im wrong. Maybe this is why 2 dealers turned me away when I showed them the 4006C notice and said it didnt apply to me.

Can of worms I tell ya!
I can't tell from your profile if you're outside the US but it sounds like you are. In that case they will not perform the 4006C recall on MN6s. Export MN6 models are not eligible. This is likely because the steering lock is the only "immobilizing" security feature on the MN6 (the A4 has the shift/brake interlock) and export countries may require it, but in the US the NTSB has apparently given GM a waiver.

In that case, check out getting the CLB. There is still some confusion about the CLB being compatible with the earlier 4006 recall procedure, but many have posted that their CLB works fine.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:23 AM
mikej1957
Instructor

Default More Steering Column Troubles

I had the recall performed a couple of years ago.... I suppose it "WAS" Ok as they towed my vehicle and did the repairs.. now it has done it three times in the past month or so... I called GM Customer NO service and they said there was not a current recall. If I take it to the dealer and they cannot "recreate the problem", I am wasting my time. They did say of it locked and I had to have it towed, I should call them with the "case number" and they would consider "helping". I have a 99 with plenty of miles on it but I did the service recall as instructed and it still does not work.

OK.. where do I get the bypass and where can I find instructions on replacing it?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2006, 10:06 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

JC, I am in the US in Northern California. The dealers near me are going specifically by the letter stating the 4006C recall will NOT be performed UNLESS the DIC is showing a message or car is towed in...PERIOD.

Im just afraid if I throw the CLB on there with the first recall being done it might cause problems. Some say yes, some say no...

and now for the weather....
Old 09-15-2006, 10:32 AM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

JC, I am in the US in Northern California. The dealers near me are going specifically by the letter stating the 4006C recall will NOT be performed UNLESS the DIC is showing a message or car is towed in...PERIOD.

Im just afraid if I throw the CLB on there with the first recall being done it might cause problems. Some say yes, some say no...

and now for the weather....
This agrees exactly with what the dealer said when I called them. The dealer is apparently being told we can't have the column mod done just because we want to. That contradicts what the woman I spoke with when I called the customer service number in the bulletin, who said I should go to the dealer with a copy of the complete recall statement including the last paragraph or two that, in so many words, says "FIX THE $#*%^# COLUMN AND BE DONE WITH IT".

Now I'm puzzled as well.

As for the CLB, it seems like a great product, has a full year's warranty backed by Corvettes of Houston, and by all reports actually works (how's THAT for hitting the trifecta). All that said, it is an electronic device. I'll find a way to zap it somehow when I am tinkering with my car in 4 or 5 years. What then? Does anyone know how long a safety recall like the column thing has to stay open and active for service?

Charlie
Old 10-13-2006, 12:27 PM
rbvett69
8th Gear

Default Column Lock Letter From GM

Folks;
Bought the 02 six speed new.

In 2004 took it in for column lock recall and had code changed.

Early October 2006 got in car and found column locked. Took to Chevy who told me after checking car that column motor had failed and was not part of recall. I asked to talk to regional GM rep as recall should cover my car. Chevy finally said they would pay for work.

Column lock problem resolved until I drove the car. On long drive got "service column lock" message on DIC, and gas was cut off (this is after car was parked for two hours). Disconnected battery for 15 minutes, and then able to get car to Chevy. Chevy talked to GM Techline and removed relay harness they had installed a few days earlier in first attempt at fix. They state car is now fixed (they think).

In one of the earlier posts on the Forum fellow stated he thought the K Harness (relay) had to be installed or the gas would be cut off. Relay and harness was installed in mine, and gas was still cut off. I would be very interested to hear what others are experiencing - I am not confident the problem has been fixed.

Ron N
El Dorado Hills, Ca

Last edited by rbvett69; 10-13-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:45 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rbvett69
Folks;
Bought the 02 six speed new.

In 2004 took it in for column lock recall and had code changed.

Early October got in car and found column locked. Took to Chevy who told me after checking car that column motor had failed and was not part of recall. I asked tot alk to regional GM rep, and Chevy finally said they would pay for work.

Column lock problem resolved until I drove the car. On long drive got "service column lock" message on DIC, and gas was cut off (this is after car was parked for two hours). Disconnected battery for 15 minutes, and then able to get car to Chevy. They talked to Chevy Techline and removed relay harness they had installed a few days earlier in first attempt at fix.

In one of the earlier posts on the Forum fellow stated he thought the K Harness (relay) had to be installed or the gas would be cut off. A relay and harness was installed in mine, and gas was still cut off. I would be very interested to hear what others are experiencing - I am not confident the problem has been fixed.

Ron N
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Your lack of confidence is warranted and well founded. In a post I put up last May, I copied the entire text of the latest recall/fix letter. In it there was a toll free number to call if the dealer will not resolve the issue. It CAN be fixed by totally and completely removing any and all parts pieces and hardware associated with the lock device and programming it out of the computer. Calling the toll free number and "explaining" the dissatisfaction with the dealer's response will get the problem resolved. GM does NOT want some 200,000 C5 owners to figure out that, taken as a class, they have a consumer product with a serious product defect.

Charlie
Old 10-13-2006, 09:21 PM
rbvett69
8th Gear

Default Electronic Column Lock

Charlie;
Chevy garage says removing the relay harness is all they can do - no further programming of the processor necessary. From reading other posts on this issue, it looks like mine could cut the gas off again at any time. May have to evoke the lemon law if this keeps up.

Last Sunday when the gas got cut off, the clutch pedal spring also broke, then the ABS/Traction Control lights came on and stayed on (lights had come on periodically for months, but always went off after a few quick cycles of pulling the key). Cost me $1300 to get the car moving (EBCM module, pedal spring), and now I don't know if car will strand me by cutting off the gas. My thouths are starting to be "sell the car, and stop considering buying an 07".

Ron N
Old 10-14-2006, 08:16 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13

I just bought a used 04 a4 Z51 Vett with 9000k miles on it today!

So i guess that means i need to do the recall? Don't know if my car has had the fix done in the past or not.

Chas
Old 10-15-2006, 03:47 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Frankly I would just do the CLB kit. I took mine in for the recall and left with a non working a/c unit. 280 dollars later my a/c works again. I also notice a number of other little things that seem different on the car now. For 50 bucks I could have fixed it myself and saved myself money. Chevy needs to get a clue. I really wanted to buy a new corvette but I'm debating whether that is really a smart move.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:46 PM
roysvett
Instructor

Default c5 blues stering collumlock

wheelmoves but fuel cut off need help in army and need to be at school in the morning i am a auto tech so i can do the work if some one can help 270 234 3676 asap 10 hrs to school and 3 hr drive

Get notified of new replies

To Column lock letter from GM[merged]

Old 10-15-2006, 09:03 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by roysvett
wheelmoves but fuel cut off need help in army and need to be at school in the morning i am a auto tech so i can do the work if some one can help 270 234 3676 asap 10 hrs to school and 3 hr drive
Try clearing codes, try disconnecting the battery, but I think you need to be looking for a ride.

Charlie
Old 10-15-2006, 10:12 PM
roysvett
Instructor

Default found the problem

ok if you have this problem and r in a pinch u have to remove the lower pannel on the drivers side and look for two connectors that are attached to relay on a 12 inch pig tail remove it and reconnect the pluges back to stock condition it will run. still disconect the bat for 15 min to reset codes. moral of the story: if u r stranded on the side of the road and u have a comp.that has a t moble all access card and have a c5 you r good. but if u dont you could be in bad shape. steering column lock, and, remove key wait 10 seconds, .feel free to call 270 234 3676 after going through this by my self no one els should aney time day or night even if it is two in the morning i will help if i can
Old 10-15-2006, 10:40 PM
roysvett
Instructor

Default culprit pict to fuel cut off

if u need the picts i have then this sight wont let me post them what is the deal why so many restrictions this is for info so let people post it 5 hrs on the side of the road is a little much even for a army man. e mali mr at royjeep98@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Column lock letter from GM[merged]