C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems installing steering rack. step inside.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 03:59 PM
bayarea
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems installing steering rack. step inside.

well the motor in my car is out and I'm trying to put the steering rack back on so i I can get this car towed to the shop. the reason the rack needs to be in is so they can actually steer the car in the shop.

anyway I cant seem to get the the little stubby shaft on the rack connected to the steering column, do I need to use force or is there a certain way this will goi in? may be its not aligned right with the column and if i unlock the steering wheel I an adjust it to fit. how did you guys do it?

Old 02-25-2006, 04:26 PM
jers98vet
Burning Brakes

Dont move the steering wheel! Turn the rack shaft until the intermediate shaft will fit into place. Moving the steering wheel at this point will cause error codes.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:34 PM
bayarea
Drifting

ok I wont move it but is the stubby shaft supposed to slide in from the side or the do I push it in from the bottom?
Old 02-25-2006, 04:44 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

It slides in from the side, 1 side is flat and the other has a slight curve so it will only go in from 1 direction.

If your having a problem then something has already rotated and you will probably need a tech II to straighten it out but for right now just rotate either the steering column or the shaft on the rack 180 degrees and it should slide right together.

Get notified of new replies

To problems installing steering rack. step inside.

Quick Reply: problems installing steering rack. step inside.