C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long tubes and Calif. emissions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 04:31 PM
dudleyd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Long tubes and Calif. emissions

Has anyone passed the California emissions (OBDII) test with long tube headers and cats?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No.........
Old 03-21-2006, 07:42 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, I know more than one guy who has passed smog here in So Cal running headers, the sniffer part of he test is no big thing, it will pass as long as you don't have a big cam, the headers are a visual thing and that's why I didn't ceramic coat my LGLT's, the stainless headers take on that burnished look after you run them for a while and you don't even notice them when your looking down at the engine, it's a roll of the dice but I thinks it's in your favor, I know you will agree once you have them on.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:59 PM
dudleyd
Racer

Thanks RoHo, thats what I was hoping.
I just put a set of LGM streets on a couple weeks ago along with LS6 intake and Z06 Ti's and next week it goes in for a tune. Just did my every other year smog check in Nov. 05 so I'm good for the next two years but I was starting to bum out thinking I would have to change back to stock exhaust and tune every other year.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:09 PM
jmzvet
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about attaching the stock manifold heat shields over my LTs when I go in 2009 .
When I get elected as governor, I will pass a bill that states any car that passes the "sniffer test", will pass the smog test .
Who wants to contribute to my campaign fund? . I need a new Z06 .
Old 03-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Maybe we should open up our own shop, and take car of business!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:26 PM
dudleyd
Racer

[QUOTE=jmzvet]I thought about attaching the stock manifold heat shields over my LTs when I go in 2009

Manifold heat shields??? Other then the spring loaded wire heat shields which I put back on my stock manifolds were bare.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:16 PM
KHM_70
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by dudleyd
Thanks RoHo, thats what I was hoping.
I just put a set of LGM streets on a couple weeks ago along with LS6 intake and Z06 Ti's and next week it goes in for a tune. Just did my every other year smog check in Nov. 05 so I'm good for the next two years but I was starting to bum out thinking I would have to change back to stock exhaust and tune every other year.
that would give you a headache
Old 03-21-2006, 11:20 PM
unstressed
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

So what happens if they see the headers? Can they report you, or do you just fail and have to go back to stock?

I think I heard they can put you on a list that makes you go to a state inspection facility, every year for inspection. Kinda like black balling you. Also heard there could be stiff fines if they want to go that far.

Is this just BS?
Old 03-22-2006, 12:04 AM
dudleyd
Racer

Originally Posted by unstressed
So what happens if they see the headers? Can they report you, or do you just fail and have to go back to stock?

I think I heard they can put you on a list that makes you go to a state inspection facility, every year for inspection. Kinda like black balling you. Also heard there could be stiff fines if they want to go that far.

Is this just BS?
Jeez, I was just starting to think all would be O.K. and you had to go a post that.
Oh well, any info on this subject is good info, I'd just like to hear from some people in CA with Long tubes that have gone through the test and what the outcome was.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:35 AM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RoHo
Yea, I know more than one guy who has passed smog here in So Cal running headers, the sniffer part of he test is no big thing, it will pass as long as you don't have a big cam, the headers are a visual thing and that's why I didn't ceramic coat my LGLT's, the stainless headers take on that burnished look after you run them for a while and you don't even notice them when your looking down at the engine, it's a roll of the dice but I thinks it's in your favor, I know you will agree once you have them on.
Wish I had seen this before I got my shorties, that is a great concept..let then burn in and maynot be spotted by the smog tech...
Old 03-22-2006, 01:12 AM
dmitry_1998
Instructor

my brother is big on the import scene and on his prelude he had a full exhaust system, headers, ported/bored motor. He would just take it to a test only facility, which costs around $25, if everything would be ok, he would let them smog the car. Rememeber TEST ONLY is OFF the record, so if they don't say anything you can run the smog and get your certificate. I plan to get my longtubes and dont think there will be any complications.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:23 AM
f430killer
Instructor

when I go in to get smogged, I remove my floorboards and tell them that its a flinstone car and that the engine is just for decoration, I then run on the dyno with the exhaust tube in my mouth.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:49 AM
bayarea
Drifting

I have had no problems with my mods in sig for a while now. If you want to mod your car then do it, if your to worried about getting caught dont do it. it up to you to find the right people to smog you.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Rag-Top Rick
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jmzvet
I thought about attaching the stock manifold heat shields over my LTs when I go in 2009 .
When I get elected as governor, I will pass a bill that states any car that passes the "sniffer test", will pass the smog test .
Who wants to contribute to my campaign fund? . I need a new Z06 .
Ok Jim....... before I vote for you, do you have a license and insurance?
Apparently it`s not required for the governor of Calif, at least not for Arnold, but I want a "good example" in office!
Old 03-23-2006, 04:17 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RoHo
Yea, I know more than one guy who has passed smog here in So Cal running headers
Headers yes, but not long tube headers.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:50 PM
dudleyd
Racer

Originally Posted by dmitry_1998
my brother is big on the import scene and on his prelude he had a full exhaust system, headers, ported/bored motor. He would just take it to a test only facility, which costs around $25, if everything would be ok, he would let them smog the car. Rememeber TEST ONLY is OFF the record, so if they don't say anything you can run the smog and get your certificate. I plan to get my longtubes and dont think there will be any complications.
Thanks Dmitry,
That's the kind of information I'm interested in.

Get notified of new replies

To Long tubes and Calif. emissions

Old 03-23-2006, 03:34 PM
boosted_z06
Pro

Originally Posted by RstyNutz
Wish I had seen this before I got my shorties, that is a great concept..let then burn in and maynot be spotted by the smog tech...
Using shields or color of pipe hides nothing for its simple to see the O2s and cats have been moved so those ideas will not do and only cause the smog tech to check even closer
Old 03-23-2006, 03:36 PM
boosted_z06
Pro

Originally Posted by unstressed

Is this just BS?
No its true the car is labeled Gross Polluter and car has to be smog tested every year for XX amount of years.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:46 PM
lloaf
Instructor

Bottom line is you may get away with it --and you may not. Life is full of risks and everyone draws the risk/reward line at a different point. Just because someone passed last week, does not mean that you will pass next year--and vice versa. Since a big study came out the other day showing how bad our air is, I would not be surprised to see a step up in enforcement---we are after all entering the preliminary stages of a political year during which Scwartzenegger is likely to face political pressure from the left, California being a largely Democratic state.

Quick Reply: Long tubes and Calif. emissions