C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on lowering bolts????

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Questions on lowering bolts????

I'm thinking of dropping my 99FRC an inch or so, using the suspension bolts. I would like to know how it rides after this is done, does it have any adverse affects on the suspension components, does it stress anything to do this, and how does if affect the alignment??

Thanks
Benny
Old 03-23-2006, 10:56 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,202 Likes on 706 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

an inch ain't alot...you will need to get the alignment adjusted if you lower it....the ride isn't much rougher only going an inch
Old 03-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I suppose you think a lowered 99 Pewter C5 looks pretty cool, huh??
Old 03-24-2006, 06:32 AM
EMDExpress
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Best to replace your shocks with Bilsteins Sports when lowering a base sprung car.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:33 PM
HRDTOPC54FUN
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Old 03-25-2006, 02:37 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

The ride changes very little, if at all. You are only changing the wheel height in relation to the car, the spring is really not affected at all.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:05 AM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you can follow my threads,Or check out "my corvette pics" I just lowered my coupe , New 7" bolts in the rear and removed the front bolt completely and installed a peice of polyurethane between the front spring and lower control arm, also Bilstein sports, ZO6 sways all around and aluminum endlinks, car handles like a dream, night and day difference over the F45 I had, Yes a 4 wheel alignment is needed after lowering, as far as the ride, it is a bit more stiff, but a good stiffness if that makes sense, Ive noticed at higher speeds like 130-140 mph, the vehicle just hugs the road much better and coming into a turn at 90mph the vehicle feels so much more safe.

I would highly recomend if your going to lower the vehicle, consider it as a package modification, (sways, shocks, endlinks,lowering), you will get more out of your vehicle as far as performance and appearance this way, and as far as the price, for around $550 you can accomplish this upgrade.

And if your going to change out the rear bolts, dont pay the outrageous prices vendors want for there so called lowering kits, which basically consists of a 7"or 8" grade 8 1/2"-13 bolts and grade 8 nylon 1/2 locking nuts and grade 8 washers, total for these parts at a nut/bolt warehouse or hardware store is around $14 vs $35-40 which other vendors sell for.

Just a thought
Old 12-31-2009, 01:22 PM
CKSIX
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizzano
If you can follow my threads,Or check out "my corvette pics" I just lowered my coupe , New 7" bolts in the rear and removed the front bolt completely and installed a peice of polyurethane between the front spring and lower control arm, also Bilstein sports, ZO6 sways all around and aluminum endlinks, car handles like a dream, night and day difference over the F45 I had, Yes a 4 wheel alignment is needed after lowering, as far as the ride, it is a bit more stiff, but a good stiffness if that makes sense, Ive noticed at higher speeds like 130-140 mph, the vehicle just hugs the road much better and coming into a turn at 90mph the vehicle feels so much more safe.

I would highly recomend if your going to lower the vehicle, consider it as a package modification, (sways, shocks, endlinks,lowering), you will get more out of your vehicle as far as performance and appearance this way, and as far as the price, for around $550 you can accomplish this upgrade.

And if your going to change out the rear bolts, dont pay the outrageous prices vendors want for there so called lowering kits, which basically consists of a 7"or 8" grade 8 1/2"-13 bolts and grade 8 nylon 1/2 locking nuts and grade 8 washers, total for these parts at a nut/bolt warehouse or hardware store is around $14 vs $35-40 which other vendors sell for.

Just a thought
Not everyone is going 130-140mph, on the street. Don't see how all that is going to help your appearance either. I would lower it on stock bolts call it good. You have a great case if someone looking to get ready for auto x.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:46 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I dropped mine on the stock bolts about an inch and ended up raising it back about 1/4" because the rear suspension was bottoming out against the bump stops on rough surfaces. I have the Z06 sway bars, Bilstein sport shocks, and a fairly aggressive auto-cross alignment, I kept the base suspension leaf springs.
Lowering these cars beyond what the service manual calls for without additional modifications is useless in terms of enhanced handling. The suspension can't do it's job when it's bottoming out.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:05 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by ipuig
I dropped mine on the stock bolts about an inch and ended up raising it back about 1/4" because the rear suspension was bottoming out against the bump stops on rough surfaces. I have the Z06 sway bars, Bilstein sport shocks, and a fairly aggressive auto-cross alignment, I kept the base suspension leaf springs.
Lowering these cars beyond what the service manual calls for without additional modifications is useless in terms of enhanced handling. The suspension can't do it's job when it's bottoming out.
If that's a picture of you on your avatar, I have another theory as to why your car bottoms out.

*sincerely hopes that's not you*
Old 12-31-2009, 08:20 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
If that's a picture of you on your avatar, I have another theory as to why your car bottoms out.

*sincerely hopes that's not you*
It's not, I don't think the person in the picture would fit in the car, LOL.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:52 AM
LEANDRO
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EMDExpress
Best to replace your shocks with Bilsteins Sports when lowering a base sprung car.
I AGREE 100%, also get a alignment.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on lowering bolts????

Quick Reply: Questions on lowering bolts????