C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver door lock intermittant when locking...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 08:50 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Driver door lock intermittant when locking...

OK I need some help with this one... my driver's door lock does not always lock when using the power locks via the power lock switch or by the key FOB. The passenger side ALWAYS works, and the both doors will always unlock.

Tonight, I replaced the door lock actuator and much to my dismay the intermittant problem is still there. I can hear the BCM clicking with each press of the lock button. I also inspected, plugged and replugged each connector pack to try to see if it was a loose connection but I don't think so becasue I can vibrate the door and it doesn't change whether it does it or not.

My last thought is that it is the BCM itself. Although the relay clicks there might be something else in there that is not making contact. Surely somebody else has had this problem? Help!
Old 04-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

It's the door controle module.... very common problem. there is one for each side.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:34 PM
white90conv
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It is a relay in the door module. Someone has a post on fixing it either by replacing the relay or cleaning the points in it. I cleaned the points and mine now seems ok. Unfortunately, the good pictures by "alanh"seem not to be available. If you remove the module and open the case and position it so you see the relays with the connectors on top, the relay you want is at the lower left of the circuit board. If you take a sharp knife, you can cut away the upper right quadrant of the relay case and access the points. I inserted a piece of fine,folded black sandpaper between both the upper and lower contacts, sanded them lightly and then cleaned them with plain paper. Good luck
Old 04-08-2006, 09:38 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Glad to see someone saying to replace this and that part instead of "Hit the door panel with your fist and it will start working again"

VR
Old 04-09-2006, 11:59 AM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Damn... well at least I pin pointed the problem. Who would have ever thought its an electrical issue and not a mechanical issue....
Old 04-09-2006, 12:49 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by white90conv
It is a relay in the door module. Someone has a post on fixing it either by replacing the relay or cleaning the points in it. I cleaned the points and mine now seems ok. Unfortunately, the good pictures by "alanh"seem not to be available. If you remove the module and open the case and position it so you see the relays with the connectors on top, the relay you want is at the lower left of the circuit board. If you take a sharp knife, you can cut away the upper right quadrant of the relay case and access the points. I inserted a piece of fine,folded black sandpaper between both the upper and lower contacts, sanded them lightly and then cleaned them with plain paper. Good luck
When this fails............................

Glad to see someone saying to replace this and that part instead of "Hit the door panel with your fist and it will start working again"

DO THIS!

Get notified of new replies

To Driver door lock intermittant when locking...

Quick Reply: Driver door lock intermittant when locking...