C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery - Help me narrow down the cause!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:46 AM
TOOGECKO
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dead Battery - Help me narrow down the cause!

Well, I posted in another thread that my second battery in my 2004 Z06 died last Thursday. Having seen all the stories and experiencing three other Delco battery failures in my personal cars, I bit the bullet and bought an Optima Yellow Top over the weekend. I installed it Sat. morning and all was good. Very busy weekend so car never left the garage. Went out this morning to go to work and my brand new battery was completely drained. I obviously have something causing a short and a constant drain. Would my alternator cause this? I guess I will put a charger on it and take it to the dealer tomorrow morning but would like to know what to suspect before hauling it in...
Any guesses?
Old 05-01-2006, 09:34 AM
NCOMNC5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dead Battery

Have your electrical system checked under both load and no load. I had 2 different instances where my battery when dead. The first was a short in my turn signal switch (in the steering column) which caused all kinds of strange messages on my DIC. The other was in my driver side sport seat (motor kept running), I just unplugged it and haven't had it repaired yet. Hope this helped.... GOOD LUCK
Old 05-01-2006, 12:30 PM
TOOGECKO
Melting Slicks

Thanks - more feedback please!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:56 PM
T Will
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Okay this is old school If you remove neg cable and put a test light between cable and post if it lights you have a draw. you have to start by making sure whatever is on all the time is off by pulling the fuse clock ect.. hood light you can just remove the bulb then just start pulling one fuse at a time until test light goes out this will narrow it down to the circut that is on. this worked on one of my trucks and found the fuel pump was always running thus killing the battery over night. hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:45 AM
TOOGECKO
Melting Slicks

Twill:
Thanks - I will give this a shot...
Old 05-02-2006, 11:35 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Did you fully charge the Optima before you installed it?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Are the cables tight and corrosion free?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:52 AM
TOOGECKO
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Did you fully charge the Optima before you installed it?
It was brand new - never heard of having to do this to a new battery. I did put a trickle charger on it last night and it was fully charged this morning. Dealer is looking at the car this moring; hopefully they won't reflash my PCM...

The cables are tight and spotless. The car only has 9800 mi. on it and is kept garaged when not driven...
Old 05-02-2006, 01:58 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TOOGECKO
It was brand new - never heard of having to do this to a new battery....
Even though the battery is "brand new", it doesn't mean that it hasn't sat on a shelf somewhere for a while, losing its charge. Then, you (or any purchaser) installs it into a computer controlled car, which causes an immediate drain. Don't start the car immediately, which kicks in the alternator, and a dead battery is a distinct possibility.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:39 PM
TOOGECKO
Melting Slicks

Dealer just called me. It seems a GM rep was there today and immediately pointed to the HID lights installed. They will not cover this under warranty and want $100 per hr., min. three hrs. to diagnose.
(Bill Heard dealership, by the way).

I guess I will spend the evening trying to isolate one cause at a time...
Old 05-02-2006, 05:13 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Bill Heard stealerships SUCK BIG TIME!!!

Hope you find the cause of your problem. Let us know what it is when you find it.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:59 PM
T Will
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Did you find anything? What about the vanity mirrors? You should check if one is staying on.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:02 PM
TOOGECKO
Melting Slicks

Well, I thought I had it fixed. I do however have it narrowed down to either a problem with my replacement battery or a problem somewhere in my lowbeam circuit. I need to eliminate the battery possibility tonight and hopefuly by the time Sunday evening rolls around I will have positively identified the culprit (if other than battery) and regained the confidence in my ride
Old 05-05-2006, 08:47 AM
TOOGECKO
Melting Slicks

I hope this is the last post on this one. I ran my "brand new" Optima Yellow Top back to Advance Auto yesterday where it was purchased and stated that I knew that it was a long shot but asked if they would please run a diagnostic on it. Sure enough, it had an internal short. They replaced it, no questions asked. Car seems to be fine now, charging system is acting normal and everything works as designed. They said they have never had an Optima returned but there is a first time for everything... I learned two things from this experience...

1. Never rule out anything as all components are fallible
2. Never expect your local Chevy dealer to know more than you do. Experts are hard to find, and rarely at the dealerships!

Another life experience chalked up! If the car makes it through the weekend without anymore charging problems I think I can safely start enjoying it again. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone
Old 05-05-2006, 08:51 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

... I learned two things from this experience...

2. Never expect your local Chevy dealer to know more than you do. Experts are hard to find, and rarely at the dealerships!
I agree, ESPECIALLY #2 !!
Old 05-05-2006, 09:35 AM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this is the last post on this one. I ran my "brand new" Optima Yellow Top back to Advance Auto yesterday where it was purchased and stated that I knew that it was a long shot but asked if they would please run a diagnostic on it. Sure enough, it had an internal short. They replaced it, no questions asked. Car seems to be fine now, charging system is acting normal and everything works as designed. They said they have never had an Optima returned but there is a first time for everything... I learned two things from this experience...

Another life experience chalked up! If the car makes it through the weekend without anymore charging problems I think I can safely start enjoying it again. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone

I had a short in my yellow-top as well and was experiencing the EXACT same issues you were. I replaced the battery and all has been well since.

It's a shame - the Optima batteries are very expensive, and I would have expected better for the $$ involved.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:45 AM
KBlanke
Drifting

Silly question here, why do you want to run a deep cycle battery in you corvette? Deep cycle batteries are designed to be charged then discharged in cycles, woulldn't the red top be more suitable?

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery - Help me narrow down the cause!

Old 05-05-2006, 03:35 PM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

Originally Posted by KBlanke
Silly question here, why do you want to run a deep cycle battery in you corvette? Deep cycle batteries are designed to be charged then discharged in cycles, woulldn't the red top be more suitable?
Well, for starters, I got a good deal on the yellow-top, so w/ the additional capacity and CCA's it offered, I thought it would be a good investment.

I've had a red-top as well, and have found it to be less than stellar on its reserve capacity. I think that as a technology the optima batteries are better, but from a practical usability standpoint, I don't see much, if any, difference between them and a conventional battery.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:00 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Originally Posted by TWILL
Okay this is old school If you remove neg cable and put a test light between cable and post if it lights you have a draw. you have to start by making sure whatever is on all the time is off by pulling the fuse clock ect.. hood light you can just remove the bulb then just start pulling one fuse at a time until test light goes out this will narrow it down to the circut that is on. this worked on one of my trucks and found the fuel pump was always running thus killing the battery over night. hope this helps.
This won't work as there is always a draw because the PCM is always powered up.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:09 PM
TOOGECKO
Melting Slicks

Looks like there was an internal short in my replacement battery. I got a new one last night and so far so good

Thanks for everyone's input - gotta love this forum!

Quick Reply: Dead Battery - Help me narrow down the cause!