C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 6spd Gear Rattle...whats the deal???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 02:48 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 2000 6spd Gear Rattle...whats the deal??? (AFVETTE)

Dropped mine off at the dealer again this morning. I made the service manager sit in the car. He said, "Yeah, that sure is loud".

Then the service writer had the gall to say "we'll get it fixed if it is not normal". :cuss
Old 09-04-2001, 03:10 PM
Blocktrdr
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 2000 6spd Gear Rattle...whats the deal??? (Rhys)

Have you ever over revved the engine? As I posted in your other thread it could be the snubber. If you over revved and screwwed up the snubber it would show symptoms like you are talking about. If it is drive shaft related it will do it at speed while in gear with the clutch in also. To further explain, the drive shaft will not spin while the car is in neutral and the clutch is in. If the clutch is released it will spin up to engine speed. If the car is put in gear it will match up to the rear wheel speed (times or divided by the gear ratios). As C5 TECH said, it will make some noise. However, if it is excessive you could see if the snubber is damaged or you threw a weight
Old 09-04-2001, 03:17 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Default Re: 2000 6spd Gear Rattle...whats the deal??? (the bird)

While it may be noisy, the rattling does no harm. Sitting at a light with your foot on the clutch will reduce the life of your throw-out bearing.
Old 09-04-2001, 04:18 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Default Re: 2000 6spd Gear Rattle...whats the deal??? (Blocktrdr)

If the car was over-revved, it was done with less than 5 miles on the odometer before I took delivery. It made this sound on delivery.

They called me already and are giving me the car back unfixed again, and I bet unchecked even. Same f'in story: normal operation. They are going to call me the next time the regional guy is in town. Both the service advisor and the manager both heard how incredibly loud it is, and still, the "normal" excuse.

I am going to take it to an independant shop tomorrow and see what someone who actually knows he stuff says. Too bad I don't live near C5 tech. I bet he could fix it!

Quick Reply: 2000 6spd Gear Rattle...whats the deal???