C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunder Racing CLB not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:02 PM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thunder Racing CLB not working

I just installed the CLB mentioned above. No matter what I do, I can't get rid of the SERVICE COLUMN LOCK message. I pulled fuse 25 (and 23 per the long sticky post on CLB's) and it wont go away.

I can hold the CLB relay in my hand... it energizes when I turn the key, and drops out in about a second. The DIC message comes on then. If I reset the DIC, the DIC is in the "trip" mode.

Also, I can start the car with the SERVICE COLUMN LOCK message on.

BTW... car is a 2004 Z06 6 speed with 2500 miles on it. No Dealer work done to it, and never had a problem with the column lock...

I give... any ideas?

I'm convinced that the unit either is bad, or doesn't work on a 2004. I can remove the device and the car functions normally. Reinstall it and the problem comes right back. I'll call them in the morning....

Last edited by RFJohnston; 07-27-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:21 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RFJohnston
I just installed the CLB mentioned above. No matter what I do, I can't get rid of the SERVICE COLUMN LOCK message. I pulled fuse 25 (and 23 per the long sticky post on CLB's) and it wont go away.

I can hold the CLB relay in my hand... it energizes when I turn the key, and drops out in about a second. The DIC message comes on then. If I reset the DIC, the DIC is in the "trip" mode.

Also, I can start the car with the SERVICE COLUMN LOCK message on.

BTW... car is a 2004 Z06 6 speed with 2500 miles on it. No Dealer work done to it, and never had a problem with the column lock...

I give... any ideas?

I'm convinced that the unit either is bad, or doesn't work on a 2004. I can remove the device and the car functions normally. Reinstall it and the problem comes right back. I'll call them in the morning....
Yes....I'll tell you exactly what to do. Your CLB is working just fine. Your 2004 has the relay mod installed from the factory. To verify it, go look at your column lock harness connector. If the wires from the BCM are white, purple, green, black you have the mod. This relay will introduce relay switching glitches which will cause your CLB OR K Harness to operate unreliably. PM me with your email address and I'll send you instructions on how to remove this relay circuit.
John
Old 07-27-2006, 02:50 AM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cscokd
PM me with your email address and I'll send you instructions on how to remove this relay circuit.John
PM sent. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2006, 04:50 AM
thorn92
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If anyone can help, it's John...a great man!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 09:24 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Yes....I'll tell you exactly what to do. Your CLB is working just fine. Your 2004 has the relay mod installed from the factory. To verify it, go look at your column lock harness connector. If the wires from the BCM are white, purple, green, black you have the mod. This relay will introduce relay switching glitches which will cause your CLB OR K Harness to operate unreliably. PM me with your email address and I'll send you instructions on how to remove this relay circuit.
John
I would also like to know what would cause the error message on an 04 Z06. Does it depend on when the car was produced?

I have a 2004 Z06 that I used a Thunder Racing CLB on for a year with no problems and no codes. Then I removed the lockplate and installed the GM Harness K kit(original kit with the good relays), and it has been working for 2 years with no problems or codes. What's the difference in mine and RF's Z?
I have not looked at it in awhile, but I am fairly sure my wiring is black, white, purple, green as you describe.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I would also like to know what would cause the error message on an 04 Z06. Does it depend on when the car was produced?

I have a 2004 Z06 that I used a Thunder Racing CLB on for a year with no problems and no codes. Then I removed the lockplate and installed the GM Harness K kit(original kit with the good relays), and it has been working for 2 years with no problems or codes. What's the difference in mine and RF's Z?
I have not looked at it in awhile, but I am fairly sure my wiring is black, white, purple, green as you describe.

I'd like to know also, just out of curiosity. Mine is a '04 Z and I just installed a CLB with no problems.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:01 PM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Default Update

Called Thunder Racing... they said this is the 2nd one they have had this month that didn't work on a 2004 Z06. They said they needed to check on something and call me back, so I will wait to hear from them.

Cscokd sent me directions to solve the problem. (Thanks John!) I'm going to wait to change anything further until I hear back from Thunder Racing.

More later...
Old 07-28-2006, 11:01 PM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

I'll call them in the morning....
That was Wednesday the 26th... called Thinder Racing today... They say they are "researching the situation." I say What is there to research? This certainly isn't a new problem... Will try the tip I got from Cscokd tomorrow, and if this doesn't work, I'll put it back to stock. I hate user created problems where none existed... not to mention nonexistant support.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:20 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Guys, I just sent a detailed writeup to texhawk with a 3M file. I hope he got it as he hasn't answered yet. I believe the 04 Z06 cars have the GM relay mod added at the factory. I've debugged several of these cars where we found this relay. This relay will not always cause a problem. It all depends on the actual relays in the circuit and how sensitive they are. Anyone else wanting my Column Lock Tutorial, just email me and I'll send it to you, but beware it's a big file.
John

john_neese@msn.com
Old 07-29-2006, 11:36 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Guys, I just sent a detailed writeup to texhawk with a 3M file. I hope he got it as he hasn't answered yet. I believe the 04 Z06 cars have the GM relay mod added at the factory. I've debugged several of these cars where we found this relay. This relay will not always cause a problem. It all depends on the actual relays in the circuit and how sensitive they are. Anyone else wanting my Column Lock Tutorial, just email me and I'll send it to you, but beware it's a big file.
John

john_neese@msn.com
I got the e-mail, and the file is still downloading (just kidding). It does take awhile.
I am looking over the slides and trying to digest why not all 2004 cars have a problem. As pointed out, it may have to do with the sensitivity of the relays, ie a large slow relay actually works better in this application. I went to a Harness K kit on my car because I hoped that GM had some reason for keeping the actuator in the circuit. Originally it was thought it might be just to keep the proper resistance in the circuit to prevent premature failure of the relays in the BCM, but it may also just be an attempt to make the circuit operated more reliably.

Note: The Harness K is designed to keep the actuator in the circuit, but some forum members have used the Harness K and left the actuator disconnected, and the system still functioned without errors. However, I think the case I read was on a '97 model where they were getting errors with the aftermarket version, but did not get errors with the Harness K installed as described.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 07-29-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:05 PM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I went to a Harness K kit on my car because I hoped that GM had some reason for keeping the actuator in the circuit.
So are you saying that the CLB didn't work on your car too?
Old 07-29-2006, 02:53 PM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Yes....I'll tell you exactly what to do. Your CLB is working just fine. Your 2004 has the relay mod installed from the factory... PM me with your email address and I'll send you instructions on how to remove this relay circuit.
John
Thank you John! You were right. The relay mod was factory installed, and caused the problem. I removed the relay and put the jumper in and it worked like a charm. I owe ya a cold one at the next Santa Clara Corvettes meeting...
Old 07-31-2006, 01:58 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

So are you saying that the CLB didn't work on your car too?
The CLB worked on my car while I had it in there. I switched to the GM harness because I thought GM had a reason to keep the actuator in the circuit. The discussion was that it would keep the correct resistance in the circuit and possibly prevent long term failure of the BCM, but I am still not sure if that has been substantiated.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:00 PM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

It must not effect all '04 Z's as my CLB bought from Corvettes of Houston worked fine on my car with no problem. Glad you got yours fixed.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:26 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

This extra relay we've all been talking about located near the BCM was installed on MN6 cars only (I think). It appears to be a feeble attempt by GM to prevent the column lock motor from receiving a LOCK command while driving. While the column lock motor was connected and working, it's response is so slow (seconds) that it would never see these timing glitches on the UNLOCK or LOCK signals. Then GM installed the K Harness and removed the lock plate. I'm coming to the conclusion that they left the column lock motor connected because it acted as a filter of sorts to dampen out any relay switching glitches which allowed the K Harness to operate more reliably. Unfortunately they chose a cheap relay and their efforts have been in vain. The problem is that the K Harness AND the CLB switch in milliseconds compared the column lock motor. So any switching glitches on the LOCK or UNLOCK signals may cause the CLB or K Harness to unintentionally change states. This is why many have observed that their CLB switches as expected but then immediately switches back again. When this happens, the BCM becomes confused, displays error messages and commands the PCM to shut off the fuel. I also know many of the later model MN6 cars came from the factory with the extra relay already installed. I'm not sure what year it was added to factory built cars. So my advice to this point has been to remove it and bypass it. In nearly every case removing this extra relay has solved any CLB operational problems. Why do some cars with the extra relay work with the CLB and some don't? My thinking is variations in relay sensitivity, switching speed, temperature, etc. Get rid of this relay. Use the KISS technique - "Keep It Simple Stupid". I hope this helps explain things a bit better. As always, I'm glad to help if you get stuck...just email or PM me.
Cheers,
John

Last edited by Cscokd; 08-01-2006 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Z06seal
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will this need to be done on a '03 ('02 build though) too? I'm going to order the clb, but maybe I should take that relay out?

Can I get the instructions on this too?

I also need to see if the previous owner installed a clb... I wonder why my wheel won't lock up, but I get the message... Fuel shuts off at 2mph too (going to edit that in a few hours via hp tuners)

Get notified of new replies

To Thunder Racing CLB not working

Quick Reply: Thunder Racing CLB not working