C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch question (no, not sticking)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:23 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default clutch question (no, not sticking)

OK, I have searched through hundreds of threads and haven't really found an answer to my problem. I have a 2000 with six speed. The clutch lets out just off the floor. It starts to engage within an inch or so. It has been like this since I bought it (approx. 2500 miles ago) and has not changed. It doesn't slip. It doesn't pull sitting still in gear with the clutch in. It behaves completely normal, just feels weird being that close to the floor. And yes, the fluid has been changed numerous times and is clean. Any ideas what is causing this?
Old 09-30-2006, 09:46 AM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

anyone?
Old 09-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Jeffs FRC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you driven any other M6 corvettes to compare to?
Old 09-30-2006, 05:17 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeffs FRC
Have you driven any other M6 corvettes to compare to?
Well, not since '97 when a buddy bought a brand new one, and I don't remember where the clutch let out. All the other ones I have driven have been automatics. So, are you saying this is normal?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:17 PM
xlr8shn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do not like the engagement point of the clutch, replace the clutch master cyl with an adjustable unit like RAM or McCleod.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:45 AM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like a hydraulic issue to me. Either the slave or master, how many miles on these parts? the master is easy, I would replace it with a new one and see how it does. Be sure to bleed the system real well. If the problem still exists after that then it must be in the slave.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Boob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8shn
If you do not like the engagement point of the clutch, replace the clutch master cyl with an adjustable unit like RAM or McCleod.
I would not get the RAM unit. I got one and am having similiar issues. I've made several attempts to contact ram to see if they can help me and I have ZERO response. Not a good company policy to completely ignore telephone calls and emails. McCleod will probably be getting a call from me soon.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:47 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by marlowchris
It sounds like a hydraulic issue to me. Either the slave or master, how many miles on these parts? the master is easy, I would replace it with a new one and see how it does. Be sure to bleed the system real well. If the problem still exists after that then it must be in the slave.
I'm not sure of the miles on the slave or the master. I got the car with about 90,000 on it. It has been well taken care of, but I'm not sure of the mileage on any of the parts. I would assume that the clutch has been changed and would hope that the slave got changed while they were in there. I'll get me a new master and try that.

Originally Posted by Boob
I would not get the RAM unit. I got one and am having similiar issues. I've made several attempts to contact ram to see if they can help me and I have ZERO response. Not a good company policy to completely ignore telephone calls and emails. McCleod will probably be getting a call from me soon.
Thanks for that info. Did you have the problem first and bought the master in an attempt to fix it?

Get notified of new replies

To clutch question (no, not sticking)

Quick Reply: clutch question (no, not sticking)