C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashboard lights dim when brakes are applied

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 10:37 AM
gt-hunter
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard lights dim when brakes are applied

I performed a search but did not find anything like this so I'm hoping someone has had this issue and just hasn't reported it.

This morning while driving to work I noticed that when I applied my brakes the dashboard lights dimmed and the daytime driving lights (the front ambers) dimmed as if I had turned the light switch to the middle position between off and on (parking lights).

This did not happen all the time but it did happen quite a few times when I pressed my brakes. I set my DIC to display battery volts and they did not change when this was happening, further encouraging my assumption that it is not voltage related but rather that something is acting as if I was turning the **** on my light switch.

I have the Euro Tail lights with the amber insets and I've hooked them up via the harness that comes with them.

I also have LED (LED power tower) bulbs in the brake lights but regular incandescents in the amber insets. The LEDs actually draw less voltage so I know it can't be related to that. I had the A/C on but even with the A/C off it happened a few times. I could tell that the front ambers were dimming as well (as when you turn the light ****) because I could see it in the reflection on the vehicle in front of me.

I turned the light **** to the middle position (to see if it would dim any further) but at that point they just stayed dim (as they do when you drive at night).

After turning the lights back off it stopped doing this for a little while but then did it several more times.

Any ideas?
Old 11-02-2006, 01:05 PM
dmiz0420
Racer

yep my 97 does all sorts of fun electrical stuff (the gremlins are partying down in my car )

not only to the lights (dash and sometimes headlights) fade or flicker when the brake is applied but the fuel pump whine changes pitch...

At least the red top battery has kept the steering column lock from malfunctioning for the 5th time in a year (usually right befor I go to the track)

Welcome to the world of Caviler grade electrical connections and be glad that only your lights dim.....
Old 11-03-2006, 09:39 AM
gt-hunter
Racer

Additional bit of info in case anyone recognizes these symptoms:

Something I noticed this morning: During the time I am experiencing the issue...If I turn the light switch to the center position (running lights) while I have the cruise control engaged it will disengage the cruise control. This happened EVERY single time I tried this test. However, once the problem goes away, I could turn the light switch to any position and the cruise will stay engaged.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:32 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you installed the LEDs did you also install the capcitors/resistors to equalize the load? Try replacing the LEDs with stock bulbs and see what affect it has. It almost sounds like its grounding out when the brakes are applied. What about the alternator? What are the volts reading while you're on the road? My guess it's the LEDs. Without the correct resistance, they will crash the dash lights and speed up the flashers. The C5 electrical system is very tempermental and hates any modification.

Get notified of new replies

To Dashboard lights dim when brakes are applied

Quick Reply: Dashboard lights dim when brakes are applied