C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix - Page 31 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix

Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #601  
LDOVET

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamHemiTX View Post
Fixed mine this weekend in my "New To Me" 04 Z06 CE. Thanks for the how to!
Fixed mine a few weeks ago, worked great. I had the soldering done for free as "training" for one of my micro miniature repair techs. The luster of my accomplishment was tarnished as I snapped the shifter cable changing out the broken/brittle piece on the shifter. When "they" say, "be careful that you don't snap the outer cable housing", they weren't kidding. $900 + dollars later, fixed.
LDOVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #602  
Hiram

Great ideas using the clamps I did mine without using clamps and one of the resisters started to slide a little but I did get it back in place and cleaned off a little solder that slid with it.
In the end evertything worked great. Your way is a much better aproche to the problem.
Hiram is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hiram For This Useful Post:
AE Guy (07-11-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #603  
Barjack

I just completed this yesterday and the display is bright and clear. I'm impressed.
The 241 chips are not attached too well and when you hit the chip with a fine tip soldering iron - they move easily. Also my chips were in different locations not in two rows of 4.
Thanks
Barjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #604  
wcsinx
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barjack View Post
The 241 chips are not attached too well and when you hit the chip with a fine tip soldering iron - they move easily.
The easiest way to deal with soldering down components like that is to just tape them down with kapton (high temperature) tape. Don't use masking, packing, scotch, etc. tape which will just melt or burn.
wcsinx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #605  
J. Kent

I know the original post was over a decade ago but I'm new to Corvettes and new to the forum, so THANK YOU Genocid!
Just got an '03 C5 with under 44K miles The only issues are some ripped stitching on the driver's side bolster and the dim HVAC display. There is a local upholstery shop that will replace the vinyl panel and rebuild the cushions for a reasonable price. I'm really happy to see I'll be able to fix the display myself for free!
J. Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #606  
J. Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barjack View Post
I just completed this yesterday and the display is bright and clear. I'm impressed.
The 241 chips are not attached too well and when you hit the chip with a fine tip soldering iron - they move easily. Also my chips were in different locations not in two rows of 4.
Thanks
Fixed it! Thank you Genocid! As Barjack noted, the resistors will move when you melt the solder, so I followed a tip from another member and used a small plastic clamp to hold each one in place as I soldered. Worked great! Total project took about 2 hours. YMMV.
Attached Images

Last edited by J. Kent; 09-09-2017 at 05:31 PM.
J. Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #607  
37pat
CF Senior Member

Did my wife's yesterday. Added solder at places, not at others. But the outcome was a great success, and I think the resisters move when you heat the not-broken end first. But, isolating the breaks ahead of time is likely not worth the effort. The clamp looks like a good idea as well. Wish I'd thought of it. Currently HF has a very small 30 Watt soldering iron on sale for about $4.00. I used one of those. All is now good.
37pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix
  •