C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 PM
LDOVET
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RamHemiTX
Fixed mine this weekend in my "New To Me" 04 Z06 CE. Thanks for the how to!
Fixed mine a few weeks ago, worked great. I had the soldering done for free as "training" for one of my micro miniature repair techs. The luster of my accomplishment was tarnished as I snapped the shifter cable changing out the broken/brittle piece on the shifter. When "they" say, "be careful that you don't snap the outer cable housing", they weren't kidding. $900 + dollars later, fixed.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:46 AM
Hiram
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great ideas using the clamps I did mine without using clamps and one of the resisters started to slide a little but I did get it back in place and cleaned off a little solder that slid with it.
In the end evertything worked great. Your way is a much better aproche to the problem.
The following users liked this post:
FX VETTE (07-11-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 02:14 PM
Barjack
8th Gear

I just completed this yesterday and the display is bright and clear. I'm impressed.
The 241 chips are not attached too well and when you hit the chip with a fine tip soldering iron - they move easily. Also my chips were in different locations not in two rows of 4.
Thanks
Old 07-21-2017, 04:50 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Barjack
The 241 chips are not attached too well and when you hit the chip with a fine tip soldering iron - they move easily.
The easiest way to deal with soldering down components like that is to just tape them down with kapton (high temperature) tape. Don't use masking, packing, scotch, etc. tape which will just melt or burn.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:49 PM
J. Kent
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I know the original post was over a decade ago but I'm new to Corvettes and new to the forum, so THANK YOU Genocid!
Just got an '03 C5 with under 44K miles The only issues are some ripped stitching on the driver's side bolster and the dim HVAC display. There is a local upholstery shop that will replace the vinyl panel and rebuild the cushions for a reasonable price. I'm really happy to see I'll be able to fix the display myself for free!
Old 09-09-2017, 05:28 PM
J. Kent
Instructor

Originally Posted by Barjack
I just completed this yesterday and the display is bright and clear. I'm impressed.
The 241 chips are not attached too well and when you hit the chip with a fine tip soldering iron - they move easily. Also my chips were in different locations not in two rows of 4.
Thanks
Fixed it! Thank you Genocid! As Barjack noted, the resistors will move when you melt the solder, so I followed a tip from another member and used a small plastic clamp to hold each one in place as I soldered. Worked great! Total project took about 2 hours. YMMV.
Attached Images  

Last edited by J. Kent; 09-09-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:35 PM
37pat
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did my wife's yesterday. Added solder at places, not at others. But the outcome was a great success, and I think the resisters move when you heat the not-broken end first. But, isolating the breaks ahead of time is likely not worth the effort. The clamp looks like a good idea as well. Wish I'd thought of it. Currently HF has a very small 30 Watt soldering iron on sale for about $4.00. I used one of those. All is now good.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:33 PM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Well 18 yrs later time to do mine after read the first page I see there are other things to look at out of the 30 or so pages is there a post I should read that’s not on the first couple post. TIA for any and all help.

Pops
Old 04-26-2018, 03:33 PM
J. Kent
Instructor

Originally Posted by BOUT X
Well 18 yrs later time to do mine after read the first page I see there are other things to look at out of the 30 or so pages is there a post I should read that’s not on the first couple post. TIA for any and all help.

Pops
Nope--the first page tells it all. Carefully follow the instructions to disassemble everything, starting with the waterfall (for verts).

2 bits of advice:
  1. Use a real soldering iron and solder meant for electronics. A 40 watt pencil iron will do. A gun is too big. Do NOT use any kind of "cold" solder.
  2. use a small plastic clamp with a long reach like the one in my photo (post #606). If you don't the resistors will slide around. They do not have leads that go thru the board (like all the other resistors on there), just pads that sit on the board. Poor design that causes the breaks IMO

The great thing about this fix (besides being totally free) is you can remove the module, take it indoors and solder it on your bench (or kitchen table). Don't take any shortcuts with battery-powered soldering irons or cold solder. Do it right. The trickiest part is preventing the resistors from sliding around.

I'll add my vote: THIS SHOULD BE A STICKY!
-Kent

Last edited by J. Kent; 04-26-2018 at 03:45 PM.
BOUT X (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 04:12 PM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

J. Kent thanks for the info my job is to get it out and get the parts together here at work we have a full service circuit board dept. that will do all the soldering 👍

Thanks again

Dale
Old 06-02-2018, 05:18 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Another successful display restoration.

My additional $0.02: Have fine-point tweezers at hand before you start. When (not if) a resistor slides, you'll be able to easily put it back in place. In fact, after my first "slider," on all the rest of the resistors I prevented sliding by lightly pressed down on the center of the resistor with the tweezers before touching it with the tip of the soldering iron. If I needed more solder, I'd pull up the iron, put a dab on the iron tip, put the tweezers back on the resistor, then bring the iron back into contact. Less than 5 minutes to solder all 16 pads, going very slow. The display now matches the radio display brightness for the first time in more than a decade.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:20 PM
Harleyyac
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thx ! Picking up 03 on 9/12.I have had experience removing dash on a few cars. I'll tackle this hopefully in the winter.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:25 AM
Autoeng
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 159 Posts

Videos I found that show the fixes. YellowVette04 has a couple of vids,one showing how to do the display, one how to do the light bulbs

Dim Display Fix -

Replace Backlights Fix -
LDOVET (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 11:49 AM
LDOVET
Cruising

Thanks for the videos. The dim display fix worked great, wish I had done the bulbs at the same time, didn't realize a few were out until after putting it back together. I need to replace the little orange gear indicator so I'll do the lights then.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:45 PM
1997 C5
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I did the soldering of the relays but it lasted roughly 6 months. Recently the screen went out again. Should i try respldering the relays or screen shot?
Old 11-02-2020, 10:11 PM
streamliner
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Can anyone tell me where to find the 240 ohm resistors? I’m missing one of the eight. I have the climate control removed and disassembled.

thanks in advance
Old 11-03-2020, 10:43 AM
J. Kent
Instructor

Originally Posted by streamliner
Can anyone tell me where to find the 240 ohm resistors? I’m missing one of the eight. I have the climate control removed and disassembled.

thanks in advance
Maybe this? https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...MNsGA4gaTrM%3D
Or these?
Amazon Amazon

What you need is a surface-mount 240 ohm resistor but I'm not sure of the wattage. 1w seems safe if the physical size works. Panasonic is always a good choice. The ones on Amazon are a lot of 50 pcs.
Hope this helps. Do you have a local electronics parts store?

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix

Old 11-04-2020, 10:16 AM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Electronic Parts

TRY these, all trusted long time businesses. The last two specialize in Hobby Tools, kits, modules, sensors etc. and have training Videos. Check out the Soldering....

Good Luck,
Michael.

Jameco
https://www.jameco.com/shop/keyword=...ctronics-parts

Newark
https://www.newark.com/homeb?adobe_mc_ref=

Mouser
https://www.mouser.com/

Difikey
https://www.digikey.com/

Adafruit
https://www.adafruit.com/

Sparkfun
https://www.sparkfun.com
Old 12-29-2020, 03:42 PM
minuteman048
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got the car and is the first problem I encountered. With mine, I start the car in the garage and it's nice and bright, but as soon as I back out into the light it goes dim on me. Figure its those solder points.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:00 PM
Autoeng
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by minuteman048
Just got the car and is the first problem I encountered. With mine, I start the car in the garage and it's nice and bright, but as soon as I back out into the light it goes dim on me. Figure its those solder points.
That isn't the problem. Might not be any problem at all because if they are bright in the garage then they are working correctly. Do you have the Daytime Sentinel option on the DIC selected? If you do try turning it off and see what that does.

Quick Reply: C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix